Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Finland - new race 8th Aug, 2020
Quote | Reply
If you missed the latest announcement, new Ironman race will be in Finland august 2020.

From
https://m.ironman.com/...ironman/finland.aspx

Quote:
IRONMAN Finland Kuopio-Tahko welcomes athletes to the Finnish town of Tahko, a lively holiday resort in the heart of the Finnish Lakeland area. The region is known is for its pure, beautiful nature, colorful events, joyful activities, high-quality accommodation, great food and friendly hospitality - and of course as a ski resort. The changing seasons from snowy winters to colorful autumns make it a memorable destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Now, it is also home to the world’s northern-most IRONMAN race.

Ideally located in the middle of Finland, Tahko is easily accessible, whether travelling by by plane, train, bus or by car. Once in Tahko, there is no need for a car as all the services are within walking distance. Tahko has over 8500 beds in around 1000 accommodation options. Whether you are in search of a hotel in the heart of the race village, a cosy apartment next to the transition zone or private lakeside villa, the choice is yours and options are in abundance. The nearest city center, Kuopio and the nearest airport, Kuopio Airport are both located less than an hour’s drive from Tahko. Helsinki-Vantaa airport operates seven daily Finnair flights to Kuopio (flight time 40 minutes).

The race starts with a lake swim in the clean and fresh lake Syväri, featuring one-lap in Tahko Bay located alongside the finish line. Athletes will then embark on the 180.2 km bike course over two, out-and-back loops weaving through the picturesque Finnish countryside between forest, lakes and fields, on undulating, rolling hills. Finally, athletes will soak up the incredible race atmosphere over 4 spectator-friendly loops near Tahko before being greeted by those four famous words at the finish line.

The 2020 IRONMAN Finland Kuopio-Tahko will offer 40 qualifying slots to the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawai’i.

—
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Finland - new race 8th Aug, 2020 [JanneK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea on the elevation change of the bike course?
Looks like rolling hills but fairly flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm loving this new race in Finland in August. Given how long the days are at that time of year, even I can finish before it gets dark!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you love mosquitos...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FML!! I retired from triathlon after Kona this year due to a permanent injury otherwise I would be signing up right now. I did IM Sweden back in 2018 and IM Norway in 2018. I love racing in Nordic countries.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Finland - new race 8th Aug, 2020 [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
If you love mosquitos...

Motivation to go faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh Fuck yeah! 2021! (doing Wales in 2020)

My husband will love that it's the northern-most Ironman (cooler temps) :-)

I was thinking Estonia for 2021 but this sounds awesome too!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Finland - new race 8th Aug, 2020 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The terrain is rolling hills. Bit of up and down. I raced the 70.3 distance race there this summer and this is in practice half of the ironman course. The course has a 90km new section, which has not been raced in this location earlier (the local race there has been running 4-5 years with various distances), so not sure if there is bigger hils.. i doubt. I would say that i woul target a 4.50-4.55 bike there..vs i.e 4.40-4.45 i have done in texas, arizona, vichy,florida, tallin..

—
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Finland - new race 8th Aug, 2020 [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
If you love mosquitos...

Mosquitos may not be that bad. I spend two weeks in Finland in July and didn't have much trouble with the bugs other in marshy areas. Finnish folks correct me, but I thought the worst of it is in the early summer.

It's a wonderful country for all kinds of things -- I did two races and the conditions and temps were sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Finland Kuopio - Tahko 8/8/2020 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General registration for IRONMAN Finland Kuopio - Tahko (event on Saturday 8/8/2020) opens on Monday 11/11/2019 15:00 UTC/GMT:

1. PRIORITY REGISTRATION
Opted-in AWA athletes will receive a link with an individual password on Thursday, 7 November 2019, 2:00 pm CET.
Opted-in 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 Finland athletes will receive a link with an individual password on on Thursday, 7 November 2019, 2:00 pm CET.
Opted-in TriClub athletes in Europe, Middle East and Africa will receive a link with an individual password on on Thursday, 7 November 2019, 2:00 pm CET.
2. GENERAL ONLINE REGISTRATION
Registration will open on Monday, 11 November 2019, 4:00 pm CET.
Due to Priority Registration, please note that General Entry Registration may open at Tier 2 Pricing if capacity has been filled for Tier 1 Pricing.
SINGLE REGISTRATION:
IRONMAN Finland:
Tier 1: 515 EUR
Tier 2: 535 EUR
Tier 3: 555 EUR
Tier 4: 575 EUR
+8 % Active Fee for every Tier Pricing
The current race price is 515 EUR + 8% Active Fee.
Please not that price changes can occur at any time!

IRONMAN Finland wrote:
IRONMAN Finland Kuopio-Tahkon uintireitti kierretään yhtenä 3,8 km lenkkinä Syväri-järvessä Tahkolahdella. Normaalisti veden lämpötila on elokuussa 17-20 astetta. Pyöräilyreitti ajetaan kahtena kierroksena ja 180 kilometrillä kokonaisnousumetrejä kertyy n. 1100. Juoksuosuus edetään neljänä lenkkiä ja juoksualusta on 60-prosenttisesti asvalttia ja 40-prosenttisesti soraa.
  • one-loop swim; avg. temps 17Âş-20ÂşC / 63Âş-68ÂşF
  • two-loop bike; ab. 1100m / 3600ft total ascent
  • four-loop run; ab. 60% paved / 40% gravel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had said "never again" after my last full, but this one may cause me to reconsider that. Family ancestry is from Finland and I raced in Turku last year so doing a full there would be awesome. Didn't make it to that area last trip so a good way to see another part of the country too.

So will the aid stations and Finnish line (sorry, had to do that) be well stocked with Fazer and salmiakki????
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Finland Kuopio - Tahko 8/8/2020 [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IRONMAN Finland wrote:
1. PRIORITY REGISTRATION

Opted-in AWA athletes will receive a link with an individual password on Thursday, 7 November 2019, 2:00 pm CET.
Opted-in 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 Finland athletes will receive a link with an individual password on on Thursday, 7 November 2019, 2:00 pm CET.
Opted-in TriClub athletes in Europe, Middle East and Africa will receive a link with an individual password on on Thursday, 7 November 2019, 2:00 pm CET.
The priority registration links have arrived:
IRONMAN Finland wrote:
2019 Nokian Tyres IRONMAN 70.3 Finland athletes as well as TriClub and AWA athletes are receiving this priority benefit.
Act fast: We are expecting a high demand for entries, so secure your spot before the rest. Please note that tier 1 pricing is limited and not guaranteed.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Finland - new race 8th Aug, 2020 [Larchmonttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larchmonttri wrote:
I'm loving this new race in Finland in August. Given how long the days are at that time of year, even I can finish before it gets dark!

I have to say that was my first thought too.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Finland - new race 8th Aug, 2020 [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miamiamy wrote:
Larchmonttri wrote:
I have to say that was my first thought too.
There will be no night on race day :)

2019 Sun Graph for Kuopio

August 8th, 2020:
Daylight: 4:48 am - 9:38 pm
Civil Twilight: 9:38 pm - 10:44 pm
Nautical Twilight: 10:44 pm - 3:46 am
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to the same place (Kuopio - Tahko) this year for Fin5. The transport is too inconvenient for me so I'll probably never visit there again. However, the statement is not applicable for triathletes because you can ride your bike from the nearest train station! (Siilinjärvi)

It is a calm lake and the water temperature when I visited was 17°C, and there was a few people training for triathlon there as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Janne,

This is really interesting. Someone who's taking part in IM Finland for the first time this year, with the aim of doing a bike split under 5hr. I would love to know your power stats for Texas and Tallin, and watts per KG you usually have, this will just give me an aim for what I'm aiming for and power out puts.

If you don't want to share on the forum, you can message me directly.

Cheers
James
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Finland - new race 8th Aug, 2020 [Jwwilkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, my avg power in the these flat courses are usually something 180-190watts, the cda is somewhere on 0.21 space.. did tallinn again with 4.42 and in kona 5.05

I actually did a training ride on the new ironman course this august. I did the almost the whole course. Its rolling, with few bit bigger inclines that will take 3-4minutes.. elevation gain was 1148m i skipped the small out and back part on the second round.. this would have been giving me +1200m gain... So did 174km... unfortunately my battery in powermeter was dead.. but i didnt have any race gear either so would have been bad comparison.. it was easy effort (my heartate was 118 so about 15 bears lower i would do in race) so i would assume my power was somewhere ~160 range. Dit this ride in 5.15.. so 5.25 with that 6km gap included... so with the race gear (wheels, helmet, suit, etc) and the 20-30watts more i guess the ~4.50-4.55 range is quite in target..

—
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuopio is great and there are a lot of really great Finns there. I have been there several times and had a really good time (non-triathlon related) at their music festival.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply