Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman FL - Edge 520 frozen at mile 44
Quote | Reply
The race file:

Garmin https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/3169113741
Training Peaks: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...5LAM5I6QSYDHTDEDONHA

Just wanted to share a fun fact with everyone before I start down the customer service road with Garmin again.

At approximately mile 44 I looked down at the screen on my Garmin Edge 520 and noticed the screen was frozen. In other words, all data fields were static and stuck in a moment of time.
I tried holding the power button down multiple times (but I didn't know about the hold for 10 seconds/restart trick). After about 30 seconds of panicked troubleshooting I resolved to use RPE and move on with my life.

This is the third head unit from Garmin I have had in the last year and a half. The first was the touch screen model that never worked right. So I asked for an Edge 520 instead (they obliged) which I have really enjoyed, except when the transceiver burned up (radio transmitter maybe... can't remember the exact diagnosis). Garmin sent me another one free of charge minus a temporary charge to make sure I sent the toasted one back (applause).

So, the Edge 520 failed me in my A race....

It's all part of it. I am going to contact them and see what they say/do.

Cheers!
Last edited by: downtowndj: Nov 18, 18 3:29
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman FL - Edge 520 frozen at mile 44 [downtowndj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on my second Edge 500 in 10 yrs. It is virtually bomb proof. When the battery in this one can no longer go the IM distance I will look for another 500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about your A race. That sux. I had a 500 for several years. No problems. Gave it to a friend when I bought a 510. It came off in a race and got run over by a car. Replaced it with another 510. Still using it 4 years later. Only problem is that every so often, when I go to review a ride, it locks up. Have to use the restart trick. Then I have to delete rides over 30 days old. Then it's fine again until the pattern repeats. Seems like it runs out of memory.

If you didn't delete old rides prior to your race, I would consider doing that in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an old 500 I picked up used for the cost of a six pack and it’s still working, despite huge cracks on the screen. Still, I was tired of having issues with my other Garmin products, Garmin Connect in particular, so I switched to Wahoo and couldn’t be happier. I will say that Garmin was always very prompt at sending out replacement units, it just happened too much for my liking.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman FL - Edge 520 frozen at mile 44 [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have an 810-happens every now and then...I restart it and carry on, not sure what you expect Garmin to do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 520 decided to troll me during my A race but fortunately didn't actually go off the deep end. About 10 miles into the IM bike leg a "low battery" warning popped up, This was surprising as the electronics had been quintuple checked they were good to go. Switched over to the main menu and sure enough the battery indicator is showing just one bar on the little icon. Back to normal riding expecting the head unit to go dark and what do you know, it makes it until the end of the race. Go figure.

Yea, knowing all your reset options with any Garmin hardware is unfortunately basically a must know. My same 520 occasionally like to freeze when you pause a workout. Have to do the 10 second trick to get it working again.

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an idea.... when was the last time you deleted all your workouts off your 520?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman FL - Edge 520 frozen at mile 44 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of in the habit of deleting after I upload on every Garmin device I have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
downtowndj wrote:
At approximately mile 44 I looked down at the screen on my Garmin Edge 520 and noticed the screen was frozen.
That totally sucks. I have had my 520 for about 2.5 years, and it has probably had a major glitch-out two or three times. Unfortunately, one of those times was in my A Race. It was maddening-- the thing spontaneously rebooted several times, something it had never done before. Never did that since. The huge mystery to me is how it knew I was in a race.

You are fortunate to have dumped the 820. That thing is a total turd. I had one briefly. If it weren't for the fact that I needed its navigation feature, I would have crushed it on the side of the road and ridden home without.

May Garmin give you another replacement that serves you faithfully for years to come!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
downtowndj wrote:
At approximately mile 44 I looked down at the screen on my Garmin Edge 520 and noticed the screen was frozen. In other words, all data fields were static and stuck in a moment of time.
I tried holding the power button down multiple times (but I didn't know about the hold for 10 seconds/restart trick). After about 30 seconds of panicked troubleshooting I resolved to use RPE and move on with my life.

Ugh. Had mine die during IMC 2016 which I blamed on the heat (plenty of battery life when I got it working again later). And a fair number of glitches through the years when running navigation + a bunch of other things. Still, most of the time it just works, and I will probably stay with the platform (520 Plus) when it's time for a replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the well known Garmin Gremlin. He always emerges unexpectedly, and always during a very important race. He also comes out sometimes within 30 minutes of the starting gun.

A couple years ago I moved to a different brand head unit, and haven't turned on my Garmin Edge since...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman FL - Edge 520 frozen at mile 44 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Just an idea.... when was the last time you deleted all your workouts off your 520?

Great idea. I had the same troubles back when I had a 500. It would flake out on long rides. Once I started periodically clearing my workouts, never happened since.
Quote Reply