Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Deflation [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it could be 6:30 miles or it could be 16 minute miles...you know what it takes to give your best or at least a solid effort- it starts with serious training and then focus and execution on race day. Time doesn't matter....effort does.. Only you can assess your effort, commitment and determination- the clock can't....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Deflation [zerobars] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZB - OK, great, sorry, I must have misinterpreted what you wrote in your original post.

"ANYONE can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the ST approved version is 'Float Hammer Jog'

although, there's no mention of walk in there either

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Remember that the first Ironman included the folllowing statement (now a trademark) in the rules for the event: Swim 2.4 miles! Bike 112 miles! Run 26.2 miles! Brag for the rest of your life",
I believe the excellence demanded by that statement has been watered down to Swim 2.4 miles! Bike 112 miles! Run/Walk 26.2 miles! Brag for the rest of your life".
Going slow in an IM isn't something new. Walt Stack was an icon in San Francisco and a pretty tough old guy.

Stack is the cause célèbre of many fascinating anecdotes during the course of his life and running career. In 1982 at age 73 he participated in the Ironman Triathlon in Hawaii, and he holds the event record for most time taken to finish, in dead last place. Surviving the ocean swim rather effortlessly, Stack commenced the 112 mile long bike ride on his single speed granny-basket bike, and finished the 26.2 mile marathon run early the next morning, but not before stopping in for a full waffle breakfast prior to finishing. Stack finished in the record-breaking time of just over 26 hours. Officials implemented a cut-off time in subsequent years.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 31, 08 5:43
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Deflation [NorthShore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree. Ironman, for those who aren't racing it, is not about aerobic condition. It is about the ability to push through pain and stay the course. The pain you feel on the bike after 6 or 7 hours can be incredible. Legs locking up on on you on the run or getting caught up in the washing machine start can also have a tremendous affect on your mental state and nerves. I did it almost a year ago today. I admit the toughest part is the training. But for most it is the mental not the physical part of the race that is most challenging and without that training and preparation, I don't think most could push through it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the reason I simply don't bother to tell people that I do triathlons...or an IM...or marathons. Every accomplishment that is meaningful to YOU can be trumped by anybody with a TV or the internet. Your "friend's" comment about the nun is spot on though...if a 70-YO nun can do it, anyone can. Absolutely true. The thing is, how many people actually get off their ass and do it

A group of my training companions and I all recently completed our first IM in July. Times ranged from 12 hrs to 15.5 hrs. EVERYONE finished...how many of us "raced"? Why none of us. It was our first time and we were all tip toeing around with no real idea what to expect. The amount of effort expended for the 12 hr finisher may or may not be any more or less than the 15.5 hour guy, but the point is that we all finished, we all got past the start line all the way to the finish.

So that's why I don't sport the tatoo (although I have plenty of coded stickers on my car for the initiated to interprate!). Much easier for me to be happy with MY time at finishing the IM, knowing that most of my non-tri family and friends have no idea what it took to make that happen, knowing that while I was very happy with my time, I will have to try another IM to better my technique, my training and my execution to come closer to RACING the IM rather than just FINISHING.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy and hard are qualitative terms so everyone has a different take on what they mean.

I've done 6 of them and had to do substantial walking in 2 of them. The first, IMWA I had a torn meniscus and could not run at all but was flying there anyways to do it with my son, so I went for it. The second, my last IMCA was probably a function of trying to do two of them in 6 weeks. I personally would not describe either of these 2 races as easy even though they took me close to 13 hours.

I do think its probably closer to an universal truth to say it's harder to race one close to or at your potential than it is the "coast" through well below your max. A guy who has the potential to do a 10 hr IM and does a 10:10 is going to feel pretty wiped. If he does a 12 hour he'll feel that it was a lot easier. If he did 16 hours he would probably describe it as very hard--either because of some breakdown or the mental drag....

AS to deflation--who cares what other people think--I always find it humorous when people who haven't even done a triathlon espouse on the difficulty of doing an IM....Only you know how hard it was for you--that's all that matters!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply

Prev Next