Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Cheating [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]

I wasn't suggesting incarceration, and I'm not American. I was just commenting on a jurisdictional issue.

Re: Ironman Cheating [climbslow] [ In reply to ]

No worries I wasn't referring specifically to your post, just the lynch mob like mentality in this thread.

Re: Ironman Cheating [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]

avagoyamug wrote:
No worries I wasn't referring specifically to your post, just the lynch mob like mentality in this thread.

Don't you mean on this forum.........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.

Re: Ironman Cheating [klegeai] [ In reply to ]

klegeai wrote:

Just in case it you haven't heard it enough. You're a douche.

Re: Ironman Cheating [MukMuk] [ In reply to ]

How about "The Cozumel Douchbag Couple"......the girlfriend is just as pathetic.

Re: Ironman Cheating [jt10000] [ In reply to ]

jt10000 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
jt10000 wrote:

So neither US federal or state government will do anything if someone forges a state ID and uses it in another country? Dang.

On what jurisdictional grounds? Mexico is a foreign country. Why is that so difficult for people to understand?

Is it the same with forging Federal documents? A US citizen can forge them and US them outside the US and no problem with any US law enforcement?

Is it a crime? The very simple answer would be yes. The better question is would the crime merit prosecutorial attention and resources. There's a boatload of factors that would weigh into that decision.

Let's use this case as an example: Pretend that these two idiots falsified Aimee's U.S. passport instead of just her state issued drivers license. Falsifying a U.S. passport is certainly illegal but what was their intent and what harm did it cause? They didn't use it to gain entry into Mexico or the US. They didn't do it for any nefarious reasons. They did it in order to pickup a race packet and do an Ironman. It has zero prosecutorial merit. Who really gives a crap in the grand scheme of things?

Hypothetical #2: an individual falsifies a U.S. passport and goes to Mexico with it. That individual gives that passport to an Al Qaeda operative who then uses it to gain entry into the USA. That would get an awful lot of prosecutorial and investigative attention.

So the answer to your question is it depends.

We're getting way off track here. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One

Re: Ironman Cheating [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]

GMAN19030 wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
jt10000 wrote:

So neither US federal or state government will do anything if someone forges a state ID and uses it in another country? Dang.

On what jurisdictional grounds? Mexico is a foreign country. Why is that so difficult for people to understand?

Is it the same with forging Federal documents? A US citizen can forge them and US them outside the US and no problem with any US law enforcement?

Is it a crime? The very simple answer would be yes. The better question is would the crime merit prosecutorial attention and resources. There's a boatload of factors that would weigh into that decision.

Let's use this case as an example: Pretend that these two idiots falsified Aimee's U.S. passport instead of just her state issued drivers license. Falsifying a U.S. passport is certainly illegal but what was their intent and what harm did it cause? They didn't use it to gain entry into Mexico or the US. They didn't do it for any nefarious reasons. They did it in order to pickup a race packet and do an Ironman. It has zero prosecutorial merit. Who really gives a crap in the grand scheme of things?

Hypothetical #2: an individual falsifies a U.S. passport and goes to Mexico with it. That individual gives that passport to an Al Qaeda operative who then uses it to gain entry into the USA. That would get an awful lot of prosecutorial and investigative attention.

So the answer to your question is it depends.

We're getting way off track here. :-)

You earlier said or implied that no US authorities had jurisdiction to do anything about faking a state ID. Apart from "prosecturial merit" does your statement that it is a crime mean that some US government entity has jurisdiction to do something about about this?

http://www.jt10000.com/

Motive is not an element of a crime. So, while some motives are less nefarious than others, the commission of a crime still occurred.
What else have these people done? Usually, by the time people get caught, it is not the first time they've crossed the line into illegal activity.

jt10000 wrote:

You earlier said or implied that no US authorities had jurisdiction to do anything about faking a state ID. Apart from "prosecturial merit" does your statement that it is a crime mean that some US government entity has jurisdiction to do something about about this?

My hypotheticals used a US passport and not a state issued ID. A US passport is a federal document.

GMAN19030 wrote:
jt10000 wrote:

My hypotheticals used a US passport and not a state issued ID. A US passport is a federal document.

I know.

My question is, does your statement that it is a crime mean any US agency would feel it has jurisdiction to do anything, even if it isn't actually worth doing anything.

Re: Ironman Cheating [A_Gal] [ In reply to ]

A_Gal wrote:
Motive is not an element of a crime. So, while some motives are less nefarious than others, the commission of a crime still occurred.
What else have these people done? Usually, by the time people get caught, it is not the first time they've crossed the line into illegal activity.

I never said it was an element of a crime. It is, however, a big part of the equation on what gets prosecuted and what doesn't.

Let's not paint this couple for anything more than what they are.

GMAN19030 wrote:
A_Gal wrote:

I never said it was an element of a crime. It is, however, a big part of the equation on what gets prosecuted and what doesn't.

Let's not paint this couple for anything more than what they are.

I'm having trouble understanding you. You wrote "Is it a crime? The very simple answer would be yes."

But that aside, what I'm asking is about jurisdiction. For state documents you implied that since this happened in Mexico, no US agency has any jurisdiction. Is that that the same for forging a US Federal document in Mexico and using it in Mexico - would US Federal authorities say they have no jurisdiction?

jt10000 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
jt10000 wrote:

I know.

My question is, does your statement that it is a crime mean any US agency would feel it has jurisdiction to do anything, even if it isn't actually worth doing anything.

Using my passport example - if they created the false passport in the US, and transported it in and out of the US... technically that's a crime. Both here and in Mexico.

I even alluded to the fact this couple probably broke the law in Louisiana if they created the false drivers license while still in LA. We, however, don't have any evidence that happened. All we definitively know is a falsified ID was used in Mexico. They could have created it in Mexico. Hence, the jurisdictional dilemma absent any further evidence.

GMAN19030 wrote:
Who really gives a crap in the grand scheme of things?
Couldn't think of anything else to add.

jt10000 wrote:
Is that that the same for forging a US Federal document in Mexico and using it in Mexico - would US Federal authorities say they have no jurisdiction?

That's a whole different question than the one you've been asking. Fake US passports are created and used in foreign countries quite extensively.

Who is forging the document? A US citizen or a Mexican citizen? If it's a Mexican, we would not have jurisdiction. I assume you'll say a US citizen though. Hmmmm.... a US citizen forging a US passport in a foreign country and using it only in that foreign country. I'd lean towards it being the foreign government's jurisdiction (since everything about the crime happened there) but I don't 100% know the answer to that.

Re: Ironman Cheating [gregf83] [ In reply to ]

gregf83 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
Who really gives a crap in the grand scheme of things?
Couldn't think of anything else to add.

That's my official legal ruling on that. ;-)

GMAN19030 wrote:
Let's not paint this couple for anything more than what they are.[/quote

Exactly. Being a huge doucheduffell is not a crime.

Re: Ironman Cheating [klegeai] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
But it is very boring waiting around for your freinds to finish their race and so I will take my bike out.

I feel your pain, buddy. There is literally nothing to do in Cozumel other than riding your bike on the race course, mugging for the cameras and pacing your friends on the run.

Re: Ironman Cheating [p2k2001] [ In reply to ]

As an RD and part of a couple who actually finished COZ together LEGALLY I don't know what to think. Blue shirt guy...you obviously don't know what people put into an IM to prepare for it. I backed out of the race 4 x's in the months prior because I didn't want to show up and make the day a suffer fest. ultimately, I put the hours in and slowed down a bit towards the end to let my wife catch up. Crossing together was one of the coolest things we have ever done as a couple. How about next time actually training so that you can truly enjoy the day as an athlete, not as a pathetic voyeur.
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/...606_1437041036_n.jpg

This thread is missing two vital things from the charlie wenzel thread.

Embarrassing pictures of the guys car with a critique of everything about it(Since this is slowtwitch a bike critique is more appropriate)

And someone threatening the guy with legal action and outing their number, their parents number etc.(thankfully this hasn't happened.)

Otherwise this looks like a legendary thread.
Last edited by: cjathey: Jan 1, 12 11:03

Re: Ironman Cheating [cjathey] [ In reply to ]

The guy is a roadie. Who cares about his bike :-)