Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Cheating [Duffy] [ In reply to ]

Duffy wrote:
Quote:
there's isn't a federal law enforcement agency or US Attorney's Office that will investigate it. It's just not a big enough deal to warrant the use of federal resources. That's just the reality. Federal criminal fraud prosecution really needs the following ingredients: a violation of a US federal crime as defined by some Title 18 USC statute, a victim, a loss, and that it meets the threshold limits of the district. I've had million dollar fraud cases turned down because there were bigger cases that had to be prioritized.

Forgive me asking but what the hell good are you guys if this is the norm? Turn down million dollar fraud case because you're too busy busting pot farmers? Yes, I know the FBI is not the DEA but you're all sharing the same (enormous sum of) money.

1. It's the US Attorney's Office that decides what gets prosecuted and not the federal law enforcement agencies. They have threshold limits because they only have so many prosecutors.
2. It's all about prioritization of resources. The threshold limits more or less depend on the size of the city, size of the US Attorney's Office, etc. In general, the bigger the city/office, the higher the threshold limit. A million dollar case is a goldmine in Podunk, Iowa. A million dollar case would get you laughed out of the US Attorney's Office in someplace like New York City. If you have a bunch of multi-million dollar fraud cases, the smaller cases just don't register very high on the priority meter. Should we go after the $10 million cases or should we go after the $1 million cases? There's only so many FBI Agents and Assistant US Attorneys.
3. The FBI and DEA don't share the same pot of money. We have our budget, they have their budget. They investigate their crimes, we investigate our crimes. What makes you think it's the same money... other than the way over simplified argument that it's taxpayer funds?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One

Re: Ironman Cheating [jt10000] [ In reply to ]

jt10000 wrote:

So neither US federal or state government will do anything if someone forges a state ID and uses it in another country? Dang.

On what jurisdictional grounds? Mexico is a foreign country. Why is that so difficult for people to understand?

Re: Ironman Cheating [p2k2001] [ In reply to ]

p2k2001 wrote:
Falsifying a state issued drivers license is a violation of federal law. That is the jurisdiction of the feds. What happened at the triathlon is an issue for WTC to sort out.

It's a violation of state law, with some semantical-esque exceptions which certainly don't apply here.

Re: Ironman Cheating [The Authority] [ In reply to ]

Easy tiger, did you miss your nap?

I know it would be pointless. . .perhaps just someone in the local tri community calling out these two out would suffice.

ID theft is still no joke though.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .

Re: Ironman Cheating [triaim] [ In reply to ]

I would just spend some money to have this story on the front page of your local newspaper. Maybe call up the local news station as well. You might as well have some fun, I know I would.

triaim wrote:
I registered for Ironman Cozumel, but was unable to go. Someone in our tri community found out that I would not be racing. In order for her boyfriend to be on the course pacing her throughout the race, they made a fake driver's license with my name and date of birth on it and were able to pick up my race packet. I had no knowledge of this until Ironman contacted me about my race results. Apparently, they had manual results as well, and since he crossed the finish line with her (receiving a finishers medal and t-shirt) a finish time was recorded. When the folks at Ironman reviewed the results (11:10 finish time was in the top of my age group), the found that it was not me in the pictures. He was all over the course, posing and waving to the camera. I've since learned that she has him on the course at every race she does.

My hope is that they used this ID only to race. I am worried that if they got away with this, they did something else in my name while in Mexico. Anyone have advice for what my next move will be?

I am curious how you know that they made a fake driver's licence.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Re: Ironman Cheating [WyoWill] [ In reply to ]

WyoWill wrote:
True it happened outside the U.S. but from what I understand is a U.S. citizen stole another U.S. citizens identification... I don't know what the consequences are but some action should be taken I would assume.

Anyways.... no to hijack but what was the controversy with Newbz?

I copied this from the OPs second post...

'The morons didn't bother to create one from scratch, used his drivers license and blocked out his personal information (did leave his picture and own driver's license on the fake) and replaced it with inaccurate information of mine'

Given that the forged document doesn't have anything other than the OPs name on it (not their drivers license number or other personal info) I'm not sure anything is likely to happen. Also, the intent wasn't to steal money or anything like that, but to be able to falsely enter a race (while bad, it's definitely not as bad).

It is pretty bad form by both the racer and the pacer. I honestly don't get why people need a pacer. They do have watches that do this!

As for newbz, he got busted on here for cutting the bike course at a race.

That's pretty terrifying. Having a fake ID with your name on it is pretty serious stuff just to have a pacesetter or support friend on the course with you. She must be crazy.

Re: Ironman Cheating [Sparks] [ In reply to ]

Sparks wrote:

I am curious how you know that they made a fake driver's licence.

From the OP: They did send me a copy of the fake ID,

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com

Hi Aimee
I know we haven't spoken since before the race and I have heard you are upset. And at this point rightfully so. I wish you had just contacted me to talk
but since you have gone this route I guess I should remind you of the conversation we had at Terrys post race breakfast where we discussed Cozumel and the fact that you were not going and I was and I asked your permission to pick up your race packet and you were nice enough to say yes and I want to thank you for your generosity.
I do owe you an apology for your name showing up in the results. That was not supposed to happen. As you can see (or could before the results were pulled ) I did not cross any of the timing mats, I did not do the swim but I did do a couple loops of the bike. I certainly did not do the three loops of the run. I might have run 4-5 miles on the run and saw a couple of our friends from home and ran along with them and chatted for a few minutes. Kerry can certainly tell you that she talked with me. I did not pace Kerry and I did not pace anyone else. I was not wearing the timing chip but I had it in my back pocket and crossed the finish line to turn it in so you would not get a charge for losing it. I did not think it would register and for that I apologize. If you want to talk I would be happy to hear from you.
Now for all the curious peeps out there I just want to say that when I go along to these races I like to get out and ride a little. Not necesssarily 112 miles. But it is very boring waiting around for your freinds to finish their race and so I will take my bike out. And yes I know that is against the rules. I always wait until the last AG's have finished their swim and are on the bike before I start so I don't get in anyones way. I like to get out and take pictures along the course and actually have a nice video clip of a group of 5 or 6 who looked like they may have been drafting. And it was very hard to draft in Cozumel, the wind was not on the nose enough.
This is the first time I have used someones number (which I only used to keep the officials from harrasing me on the bike) and you can be sure after this much fuss I will not be doing this again.

Re: Ironman Cheating [klegeai] [ In reply to ]

Why on earth would you cross the finish line if.....

Aaargh, never mind.

Slowtwitch does never cease to entertain, that's for sure.

I hate cheating. I invest my time in training to produce results on race day. 505 hours this year. Thats 505 I wasn't available for my family, friends, and career. I hate cheating.

If i were in this situation, I would ensure that neither participant prevented someone from an age group award or a Kona slot. And I would make every effort to out them as cheaters in the local community and tell this story every time their name is mentioned. I would repeat this as long as anyone would listen. Every church 5k and local tri-gathering I was involved in would here of how weak these two cheaters are.

That being said, you are attempting to press criminal charges because some chick and her boyfriend wanted to do an event together on vacation? really? What if this dude was in your family? You really want him locked up for being a tool? Granted, he angered the tri-gods, I get it. He sucks. Bad karma voodoo on him forever. But you may very well change his life over a photocopy.

My advice is to take a few days and really think about what you are doing. I sincerely hope you change your mind or are unsuccessful.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling

Re: Ironman Cheating [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]

GMAN19030 wrote:
jt10000 wrote:

So neither US federal or state government will do anything if someone forges a state ID and uses it in another country? Dang.

On what jurisdictional grounds? Mexico is a foreign country. Why is that so difficult for people to understand?

Is it the same with forging Federal documents? A US citizen can forge them and US them outside the US and no problem with any US law enforcement?

http://www.jt10000.com/

Putting popcorn in microwave.....

Use my name, randydial, in the promo/VIP code for 40% off @ http://www.e-rudy.com

You do know that you don't have to cross the finish line, get a finish photo and get a finisher's medal to turn in the timing chip. You could go around the finish line and find a race official or volunteer to give it to. Oh, wait, but you weren't supposed to be on the course anyway (pacing your friend---if you were not in the race, and running with her, that's what you were doing.)
And "picking up someone's packet" for them, as most of us might use it, would mean, please get my bib, any swag, t-shirt, etc and bring them home to me, not use them for yourself. D-bag.

Re: Ironman Cheating [Borden] [ In reply to ]

Borden wrote:
That being said, you are attempting to press criminal charges because some chick and her boyfriend wanted to do an event together on vacation? really? What if this dude was in your family? You really want him locked up for being a tool? Granted, he angered the tri-gods, I get it. He sucks. Bad karma voodoo on him forever. But you may very well change his life over a photocopy.

My advice is to take a few days and really think about what you are doing. I sincerely hope you change your mind or are unsuccessful.

I think you left out the part about the identity theft. It wasn't a closed course. If the dude wanted to ride around on the course he could have just done so......same as the run.

You were on the course on her dime. How about reimbursing her for that? You don't have to of course, but it would be a nice gesture to smooth things over for someone in your local tri club.

As far as catching and calling folks out for cheating on the course because they were drafting ... Wow .. The irony ... Talk about pot calling the kettle black.

klegeai wrote:
Hi Aimee
I know we haven't spoken since before the race and I have heard you are upset. And at this point rightfully so. I wish you had just contacted me to talk
but since you have gone this route I guess I should remind you of the conversation we had at Terrys post race breakfast where we discussed Cozumel and the fact that you were not going and I was and I asked your permission to pick up your race packet and you were nice enough to say yes and I want to thank you for your generosity.
I do owe you an apology for your name showing up in the results. That was not supposed to happen. As you can see (or could before the results were pulled ) I did not cross any of the timing mats, I did not do the swim but I did do a couple loops of the bike. I certainly did not do the three loops of the run. I might have run 4-5 miles on the run and saw a couple of our friends from home and ran along with them and chatted for a few minutes. Kerry can certainly tell you that she talked with me. I did not pace Kerry and I did not pace anyone else. I was not wearing the timing chip but I had it in my back pocket and crossed the finish line to turn it in so you would not get a charge for losing it. I did not think it would register and for that I apologize. If you want to talk I would be happy to hear from you.
Now for all the curious peeps out there I just want to say that when I go along to these races I like to get out and ride a little. Not necesssarily 112 miles. But it is very boring waiting around for your freinds to finish their race and so I will take my bike out. And yes I know that is against the rules. I always wait until the last AG's have finished their swim and are on the bike before I start so I don't get in anyones way. I like to get out and take pictures along the course and actually have a nice video clip of a group of 5 or 6 who looked like they may have been drafting. And it was very hard to draft in Cozumel, the wind was not on the nose enough.
This is the first time I have used someones number (which I only used to keep the officials from harrasing me on the bike) and you can be sure after this much fuss I will not be doing this again.

Re: Ironman Cheating [zoom] [ In reply to ]

Sounds like some CYA coated in BS to me! I had NOTHING to do with this!!!!

Your excuse is lame and weak. I hope WTC bans you both

klegeai wrote:
Hi Aimee

This reeks of "Finman".

I wonder what this dudes challenge is going to be.

Hey, where's the Youtube video to go along with this song and dance?

Re: Ironman Cheating [bt] [ In reply to ]

bt wrote:
And "picking up someone's packet" for them, as most of us might use it, would mean, please get my bib, any swag, t-shirt, etc and bring them home to me, not use them for yourself. D-bag.

That is exactly what I think of when I read that the op might have said "OK" to someone picking up their packed for them, not racing in their place.

Re: Ironman Cheating [Borden] [ In reply to ]

Fully agree, I HATE cheaters. I put way too much $ and time into this sport to know that this sort of stuff is going on. This isn't a 5K at your local church folks...

Other things that make me more uncomfortable about this whole fiasco:

- This guy had to go through the entire process of signing waivers and affirming emergency contact/health insurance issues prior to the race. Many events require athletes to waive risks to the race director/organizing entity as well as the venue so having someone fraudulently sign off on this exposes WTC as well as the venue (Chankanaab?) regardless of what portion of the race he elected to participate in.

- The OP got a phone call from WTC because she didn't register any splits during the entire day but yet still recorded a top-10 finish time in her AG. Unfair to her to have to try and explain this to WTC ex post facto. And, based on her previous IM finishes, this looks like a pretty huge PR (on the order of multiple hours) so I am sure WTC was curious as to how she blew the doors off her previous times AND did not register any splits.

- Plenty of athletes who are there to just comPLETE and not comPETE an event have medical/trauma issues even if going at a pedestrian pace -- hit by a support vehicle on the bike, run off the road by another athlete (a la IM FL 2011 bike course thread), etc... So, what if something like this happened to him? He would have been identified as the wrong person as race/emergency personnel would likely have errantly identified him as the OP. Heck, he is in a predominantly Spanish-speaking country, I can nearly guarantee that there would have been 100% reliance on the bib number he was wearing for identification purposes. Imagine the OP's emergency contact getting a phone call on the day of the event telling said contact that their loved one was being transported to a hospital in Cozumel? "I didn't think she was going to the event???"

- Can you imagine what it would be like to actually show up to a race you were registered for and find out that someone who pulled a similar act had already picked up your race packet? Not what I would want to be dealing with 48-72 hours out from an "A" race. Think about it: anyone can go on to the specific race websites and see the list of registrants > they make a similar fake ID using your name and age but maintaining their photo > pickup your packet first thing when registration opens (so as to pretty much guarantee they get to your packet before you do)... Scary! This will probably result in another "step" in the process that WTC uses during on-site packet pick-up, but I guess it will be worth the wait if they can guarantee that no lowlifes like this try to ruin it for everyone.

And, as for the legal ramifications, I agree that this is between WTC and the offending party (parties?). I agree there was a theft of services and he defrauded a business. WTC needs to ban this guy for life. WTC needs to consider penalizing the accomplice (his g/f) for playing along with it all and allowing him to PACE her during the run -- sorry dude, it WAS PACING no question about it. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if she got a KQ slot out of this she needs to forfeit it. If she affected the roll-down process in any way because of her finishing position in the AG there needs to be additional penalties as well.
Last edited by: ladnday: Dec 31, 11 15:55

TO:....I like to get out and take pictures along the course and actually have a nice video clip of a group of 5 or 6 who looked like they may have been drafting.

.......You are unfreakin unbelievable......Rules do not apply to you though? You and your friend should be banned from all races forever.period.....If in the miniscule chance we meet at a race, I will proclaim your actions to all

I guess I should remind you of the conversation we had at Terrys post race breakfast where we discussed Cozumel and the fact that you were not going and I was and I asked your permission to pick up your race packet and you were nice enough to say yes and I want to thank you for your generosity.

So presumably, since you're bringing up this "conversation", it included the part where you were going to forge identities and pretend you were someone else. Okay, cool, got it.

Only thing stopping you from winning post of 2012 is - you're in America and you'll always be behind the rest of us.

Post of 2011 winner right there.

Prev Next