Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.... IMCDA is right around 5000 ft climbing (just under) total ... not for one loop ... IM LOU is under 3000 ... IM website elevations have chronically been understated by 15%;ish (give or take a little) because of map my ride ... if they are claiming 2100 at IM Choo Choo it will likely be 2500-2800 ... that's nothing

Downriver swim ... relatively flat course ... flat run =

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Waffle House the title sponsor? And if so, will we see waffle aid stations?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waffle House is based in Atlanta area. I guess it would be Krystal then.

"Some folks plan for the optimum race, others like to get upset when others out plan them. "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asked in the other thread, which is likely to die, since this has "official" in the title.....

what happens to Kona slot allocations - if every new race gets 50, are they expanding the field or cannibalizing other races?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [chrisfreemanca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The website course description describes it as a P2P while the press release on IM.com (currently) describes it as a looped course. It also describes the bike course as 2 56 mile loops which is different from the lollipop described on the website so I think they need to make some updates to the press release.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the course 3 times and IMLOU is actually closer to 4,500 - 4,700 feet of climbing according to my Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [RJohnson1979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they just mis-typed that a bit. The sentence or two down from the "single looped" wording says, "Athletes can look forward to fast splits on a downstream course."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [fisherman76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fisherman76 wrote:
Asked in the other thread, which is likely to die, since this has "official" in the title.....

what happens to Kona slot allocations - if every new race gets 50, are they expanding the field or cannibalizing other races?

I thought about this with regards to the Kona slot allocation too. I think it will be a few options in the future:

A. No more 100/75 slot races.

B. All races slowly trim down to 45, then 40, then maybe just AG winners

C. Only certain races have Kona slot allocation (very unlikely)

D. I fear this, but KPR for AG'ers. Given the emergence of more competition slowly rising this would be a great business move. I think this is the most likely option or at least the direction Andrew Messick is trying to go.

Sometimes I feel Kona is destructive to the development of Triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [bad_funn72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting and fair enough i'm just going off athlete and personal files i have ... i have 5 race files from last years LOU (4 garmin 500 and 1 SRM that all show under 3000 and the SRM right at 3000) ... Considering IMCDA is just under 5000 (just over with SRM) i struggle to see where imLOU is anywhere near what CDA is

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [JimSanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, Just checked and Krystal was bought and moved to ATL. Guess it will have to be Moonpie or Little Debbie or IcyHot!

"Some folks plan for the optimum race, others like to get upset when others out plan them. "
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [JimSanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waffle House is based in Atlanta area. I guess it would be Krystal then.

Krystal moved to Atlanta. We are the home of Little Debbies and Moon Pies though. Actually, I half expected Volkswagen to come on as a title sponsor.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
Here's an interesting detail: the announcement of 50 age group slots for 2015 Kona confirms that there won't be a new age group points system in place before 2015. I'm rather pleased about that: hoping to qualify under the current system before it goes away.

Maybe I am screwing the calendar/math up in my head but what about a 2014 race prior to Kona for the 2015 Kona the following year what about those who would Age up doesn't that screw with the whole system?

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maca944 wrote:
ironeric2010 wrote:
Point-to-point swim definitely hurts the fishes.

Wondering when signup will open?

A guestimate as to how much difference this will make for a non-fish swimming in the 1:15 region? This may be a very nice selling point to catch the plane for Chattanooga in 2014.

There's really no way to tell in advance of the race because the flow in the TN River is controlled by releases from TVA's upstream dam at Watts Bar. You could have zero current or 3 mph. I'd guess an "average current" might save a 1:15 swimmer 3 to 5 min or so.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you've got more data to support it, maybe my Garmin is just trying to make me feel good about myself. ;) I just double checked and my latest file (from 2011) says 4,560'.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give me a few hours and I will give you the turn by turn for the bike. It's an awesome course and loads of fun to ride! I took some folks out last weekend to ride it any we all had a great time!

The swim will be a point to point. My course description is correct, the press release is wrong.

Brian Myrick
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [RJohnson1979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I've been doing the Waterfront triathlon ever since they moved the swim to a downriver one and there's only been once or twice that I can remember where the current really helped us along. Most of the time it feels no different than a lake swim, and I think the swim splits support this.I suspect this will be like the IMLOU swim where the appearance is more substantial than the actuality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what the local paper says about it:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/...ct-host-ironman-est/

Adds a bit more info on the swim and bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
fisherman76 wrote:

I thought about this with regards to the Kona slot allocation too. I think it will be a few options in the future:

A. No more 100/75 slot races.

B. All races slowly trim down to 45, then 40, then maybe just AG winners

C. Only certain races have Kona slot allocation (very unlikely)

D. I fear this, but KPR for AG'ers. Given the emergence of more competition slowly rising this would be a great business move. I think this is the most likely option or at least the direction Andrew Messick is trying to go.

Sometimes I feel Kona is destructive to the development of Triathlon.

I hope you have that list in the right order. D would kinda suck, or at least be at odds with USAT's rankings (not that I care about those, but MORE ranking systems can't be a good thing). C seems highly unlikely. B isn't unfair, but A seems like the best option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Downstream swim... flat-ish bike... assuming flat-ish run. Your welcome BOP
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [bad_funn72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May just be how the garmin is set up?? ... I believe there is some sort of function that if left on it over calculates climbing ... by alot (I'm not 100 exactly sure how that works)

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great esp. since i live in nashville!!!!

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How quickly do people think this race will sell-out? Should I rearrange my schedule to be online at 11:45 on September 4th?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [scutter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
look at louisville sells out or does it.... hint hint

also look at the timing of the year.. i would not think it will very fast

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ck21trhc wrote:
look at louisville sells out or does it.... hint hint

also look at the timing of the year.. i would not think it will very fast

August <> September

Average low/high for Chattanooga that day is 58/77. That is nearly identical to IMFL. The timing is, I think, perfect. Before IMFL for those that want the season done earlier than Nov and a good month after IMLOO which should result in much lower humidity. The reason IMLOO doesn't sell out is not the course, it is the heat/humidity associated with August.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [godaddygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. They all but eliminated the chance of 90+ degree race and for that I am thankful.
Quote Reply

Prev Next