Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Sure are a lot of Ironman's out there these days. I guess that's a good thing?

Nothing against this race, great for people in the region. I don't see myself flying in for it for any reason though.

You should do them all at least once.......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seven years of SavageMan and a labor of love becomes more labor and less love. So, Setup will make great stewards for the race long-term. But, let's not derail this thread; we can start another about SavageMan / Setup. This is about the ChooChoo. And, with a bike course of 2100' there are sure to be a lot of trains on the bike, so all hop aboard the Chatanooga Choo Choo!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly why part of me does not want to do this race, but maybe the rolling start will temper that. But what are the alternatives?. Already done B2B, so not this one. Living around Charlotte, this is the closest one. Short of climbing the mountains you can at least look at them.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
dkidwell wrote:
This is exciting news. I would rather have seen it go to Asheville, but it sounds like Chattanooga will be a great venue. I'm just glad they didn't go with another flat, boring coastal race.


Ya, they'll prob have the bike course go up and down Lookout, Signal, and Raccoon Mountains plus some super steep hills in Chattanooga, so it definitely will NOT be flat. They could easily have 5000 to 10,000 ft in elevation change if they wanted to.



You should click the link at the bottom of the press release and go read the course descriptions........

Ah, I see now...sorry, I jumped the gun and "ass-u-me-d' too much:)


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I have IMCdA on June 29th and IMMT on Aug 17th on the docket for 2014. Seven weeks between those two. IMChatt would be six weeks after IMMT. Hmmmm....

2020 Races:
Ironman 70.3 Musselman, Ironman 70.3 Panama, Ironman Chattanooga, Ironman Arizona

Favorite Gear: Dimond | TriRig | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trigeekrusk wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
dkidwell wrote:
This is exciting news. I would rather have seen it go to Asheville, but it sounds like Chattanooga will be a great venue. I'm just glad they didn't go with another flat, boring coastal race.


Ya, they'll prob have the bike course go up and down Lookout, Signal, and Raccoon Mountains plus some super steep hills in Chattanooga, so it definitely will NOT be flat. They could easily have 5000 to 10,000 ft in elevation change if they wanted to.

not true. Take a look at this: "The bike course takes riders 11 miles south of town before beginning two 45-mile loops in north Georgia. Athletes can expect incredible views as they parallel Lookout Mountain on this rolling course with great road surfaces. As athletes near the end of the loop, they will get the opportunity to ride through historic Chickamauga. The 112-mile course has approximately 2,100 feet of climbing."

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz2c33xirzA

Sorry, should have clicked on the link. Actually, I used to live in Chat-town and used to ride down through Chickamauga quite often, and it is rolling hills mostly. Ran my first 5K at Chickamauga Battlefield, a few months before my first tri in Chat-town also.


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [jbholcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbholcom wrote:
JBrashear wrote:
It will be interesting to see what this does to Louisville registration, considering they're a week apart & (relatively) in the same part of the country. I can't imagine it will help Louisville's sales.


The difference between Asheville to Louisville and Chattanooga to Louisville is only about 50 miles apart. Look on a map!

It's a matter of perspective, I guess. Living in Texas, 300 miles isn't all that far.

---

Iron Distance Race Selector
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
JBrashear wrote:
It will be interesting to see what this does to Louisville registration, considering they're a week apart & (relatively) in the same part of the country. I can't imagine it will help Louisville's sales.


They are a month apart not a week apart.

Yep, sorry, I was looking at the registration open date.

---

Iron Distance Race Selector
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trigeekrusk wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
dkidwell wrote:
This is exciting news. I would rather have seen it go to Asheville, but it sounds like Chattanooga will be a great venue. I'm just glad they didn't go with another flat, boring coastal race.


Ya, they'll prob have the bike course go up and down Lookout, Signal, and Raccoon Mountains plus some super steep hills in Chattanooga, so it definitely will NOT be flat. They could easily have 5000 to 10,000 ft in elevation change if they wanted to.

not true. Take a look at this: "The bike course takes riders 11 miles south of town before beginning two 45-mile loops in north Georgia. Athletes can expect incredible views as they parallel Lookout Mountain on this rolling course with great road surfaces. As athletes near the end of the loop, they will get the opportunity to ride through historic Chickamauga. The 112-mile course has approximately 2,100 feet of climbing."

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz2c33xirzA

If WTC lists it at officially 2100 feet it likely has 6000-10000 feet of climbing.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Bigringonly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigringonly wrote:
If they move IMLOU to the spring...tie it into the Derby Festival.....now that would be a party!

THIS would be a great move.


--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [jbnc77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to Chattanooga! Isn't August 70.3 the same weekend?

I would also like to see SetUp do an IM or HIM in Asheville. The bike course does NOT have to have a lot of climbing. Simply follow 19/23 west to Maggie Valley. That valley is flat. Do the swim in a lake other that Lake Lure (stupid choice to begin with). Asheville did a horrible job in their attempt.
Last edited by: riltri: Aug 15, 13 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of folks will be surprised by how nice the Chatty downtown is. Great place to walk around, lots of things to explore for kids and family's during the day. Lots of places to explore right outside the city for a few days, I think its a great place to visit.

Should be awesome weather at that time. Dang, and only 70 minutes down I-24 from my house.
Last edited by: chris.1333: Aug 15, 13 9:06
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my best guess of a route based on their description. I'm sure some of the locals can chime in on road choices. I've only driven in the area. One loop has an elevation gain of 1,400. So you're looking at roughly 2,700 to 2,800 adding another lap and taking it back into town.

EDITED: Pulled my map. Actually map has been posted by race director in post 101. But I was pretty close.
Last edited by: ubdawg: Aug 15, 13 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maca944 wrote:
ironeric2010 wrote:
A guestimate as to how much difference this will make for a non-fish swimming in the 1:15 region? This may be a very nice selling point to catch the plane for Chattanooga in 2014.

Having done the waterfront try there several times, I've been surprised by my times, not much difference for me as they've kept us out of the current for the most part and over closer to the bank. They specifically didn't want us in the middle of the river and put support out there in locations to keep us out of the middle. Not sure if they'll do the same for this or not.

Unlike Augusta which is pretty quick downstream, especially with a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [chrisfreemanca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisfreemanca wrote:
Maca944 wrote:
ironeric2010 wrote:

A guestimate as to how much difference this will make for a non-fish swimming in the 1:15 region? This may be a very nice selling point to catch the plane for Chattanooga in 2014.


Having done the waterfront try there several times, I've been surprised by my times, not much difference for me as they've kept us out of the current for the most part and over closer to the bank. They specifically didn't want us in the middle of the river and put support out there in locations to keep us out of the middle. Not sure if they'll do the same for this or not.

Unlike Augusta which is pretty quick downstream, especially with a wetsuit.

read the course description. it will be a looped swim. not p2p
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know the elevation totals for IMLP, IMMOO and IMLOU?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:

read the course description. it will be a looped swim. not p2p



Am I missing something?


Quote:

The point-to-point swim in the Tennessee River will start 2.4 miles upstream of transition. Athletes will enter the water with a rolling start off of a barge set up specifically for this event. Spectators will have the opportunity to watch the entire swim as they walk alongside the swimmers on the Chattanooga Riverwalk. Athletes will exit the water at the beautiful Rossís Landing Park. The water temperature will be in the mid-70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz2c3eD3LYE

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a river - definitely a P2P.

robin, run wrote:
Trispoke wrote:


read the course description. it will be a looped swim. not p2p



Am I missing something?


Quote:

The point-to-point swim in the Tennessee River will start 2.4 miles upstream of transition. Athletes will enter the water with a rolling start off of a barge set up specifically for this event. Spectators will have the opportunity to watch the entire swim as they walk alongside the swimmers on the Chattanooga Riverwalk. Athletes will exit the water at the beautiful Rossís Landing Park. The water temperature will be in the mid-70 degrees Fahrenheit.


Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz2c3eD3LYE
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
chrisfreemanca wrote:

read the course description. it will be a looped swim. not p2p

uh...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
I think i'm in... I officially dub this race IMchoochoo

What about IM Noogie?






Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Here's my best guess of a route based on their description. I'm sure some of the locals can chime in on road choices. I've only driven in the area. One loop has an elevation gain of 1,400. So you're looking at roughly 2,700 to 2,800 adding another lap and taking it back into town.


http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/268390271

2nd that. Popular route for cyclist through St. Elmo, Flinstone, etc. Rolling hills and pretty fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
read the course description. it will be a looped swim. not p2p

The point-to-point swim in the Tennessee River will start 2.4 miles upstream of transition.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz2c3fTnN7T

I just did. Maybe you should read it again....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What swim course description are you reading? It clearly says 2.4 point to point.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could see doing this instead of IMFL2014, maybe.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Here's my best guess of a route based on their description. I'm sure some of the locals can chime in on road choices. I've only driven in the area. One loop has an elevation gain of 1,400. So you're looking at roughly 2,700 to 2,800 adding another lap and taking it back into town.


http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/268390271


I've heard some reports that the route might go near Raccoon Mountain which is part of the 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge. If so, the course will run along the Tennessee River. It will be more challenging if that is the route.

Also the algorithm for MapMyRide it terrible in my opinion for calculating accents. Count on doubling the actual elevation climb totals.
Last edited by: jbholcom: Aug 15, 13 10:12
Quote Reply

Prev Next