Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Canada Run Course?
Quote | Reply
Did anyone ever hear what the new run course might be?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My money is that it goes up the Kettle Valley Rail Trail ( Under the big Penticton sign on Munson Mountain)which is already the run course for the Peach Classic Tri.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only hint they gave is the run description was changed to "Hilly" on the Ironman Canada main page

https://www.ironman.com/im-canada
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also if thats the case - Vancouver Hill is gonna suck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm long past my IM days but have said that if anything could entice me out of retirement it would be another go'round the Penticton course. But, if it's not going to be the classic bike loop bike and run courses, I'll pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bike is basically the same (assuming the one they accidentally leaked last year doesn't change)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it really "basically the same" without everyone's favorite Cawston/Upper Bench out-n-back?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Fairview/white lake road is really nice (its part of the Oliver Half)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I'm long past my IM days but have said that if anything could entice me out of retirement it would be another go'round the Penticton course. But, if it's not going to be the classic bike loop bike and run courses, I'll pass.

IIRC the "classic" course changed several times over the years.

The latest iteration that was supposed to happen this year turned at Twin Lakes golf course and descended past the radio observatory on White Lake Rd ,which is a huge improvement from the highway 3 version.

The Skaha run course was nice the slog down Main was pretty meh.

I don't think you'll be doing Penticton again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Is it really "basically the same" without everyone's favorite Cawston/Upper Bench out-n-back?

I hated that segment...where doe the new out and back fall?

Like you my Ironman days were a while ago, but every so often I get this inkling to give it a try next year since my first was 1991 in Penticton. I think there are still community slots for both Penticton and Tremblant. Running has been going decently (not fast, but I am not hurting myself). I even got the registration link for IM Texas next door to you but riding on a highway in a draft fest was not particularly appealing!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
logella wrote:

I hated that segment...where doe the new out and back fall?

Like you my Ironman days were a while ago, but every so often I get this inkling to give it a try next year since my first was 1991 in Penticton. I think there are still community slots for both Penticton and Tremblant. Running has been going decently (not fast, but I am not hurting myself). I even got the registration link for IM Texas next door to you but riding on a highway in a draft fest was not particularly appealing!!!!

Here you go Dev.The turn onto the new section happens after you have climbed up to and passed Yellow Lake and as you approach the Twin Lakes Golf Course.Previously you continued past the golf course on your right and down the two fast descents (the S-bend being the second one) before coasting down the Hwy into town. Now you turn right at the golf course and head into Twin Lakes proper and then do the long downhill to the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory before doing an hilly out and back to Willowbrook after which it is back to Keleden via the St Andrews Golf Course and joining up with the Hwy again.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34537906

It does throw a few hills late in the ride but it is one of my favourite sections of any ride in the area.(My start and finish through town is different to the official map because I have no idea what roads they intend to use looking at the official map...and I have no idea why mu links don't work here on ST anymore)
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Oct 29, 20 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you do decide to come back to IM Texas we’ve still got a bed for you. Plus, we’ve moved since then and you can walk to the swim start from our place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was one of the four folks (Dave Chamberlin, Jen Annet, and another guy) who did IMC this year at the end of August. Yes, the C stood for COVID... even got the t-shirt to prove it (thnx to Bruce Butler).

I preferred the old bike course, as it was easier, both mentally & physically, as once you finished the Yellow Lake climb, it was pretty much downhill to the Peach.

Not so any more. Sure you get to roll past the seven... umm... STONES and then right into Keremeous.

BUT once you hit the top of Yellow Lake at the Twin Lakes Golf Course, come race day, you will see a sweetly-smiling volunteer with a sign pointing right that says "Welcome to Hell." Clearly the IMC folks are in kahoots with SRAM/SHIMANO - they gonna sell a lot of 32 or better cogs for that late in the race lesson in humility & pacing.

We did what we THOUGHT will be the new run course.
Start at the Peach,
WALK up Vancouver Hill,
link up with the KVR Trail that is gentle and scenic - run that for about ?? 6 K.
Return to Peach.
Run/walk to the boat (SS Sicamous), get on the channel parkway, run past the tantalizing Coyote Cruises floatie launch, keep going for ______ K until DARN NEAR Skaha Lake.
Run BACK to the Peach. And then do that Parkway thing again.

Suzie, Jeff, or someone called Steve, may have better info than me on this though.

Here is the sign once you get to the TwinLakes GC.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was debating getting a long-cage rd to accommodate a bigger cassette. I think you've convinced me.

Any strava/GC/mapmyrun link to the suspected run course? What are the surfaces - road and trail?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WALK up Vancouver Hill

Vancouver Hill almost right out of T2 - Yikes!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep: If you have ever done the Peach Classic Tri, you'll know that walking up it is a wise strategy for most mortals. Now, I've had the pleasure of walking up it after a longer bike ride = no easier.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
WALK up Vancouver Hill

Vancouver Hill almost right out of T2 - Yikes!

How does that compare to the old Kona run start?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://fb.watch/2h-ZDN44TJ/

ironman canada facebook page says run course will be posted tomorrow
included a drone video on the KVR (I think??????)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes KVR. Same out and back as Peach Classic which unfortunately is cancelled for 2021. So 10K will be on KVR and everyone off it by dark.

Find out tomorrow the rest. I assume but have no intel similar to ITU Worlds to stay in town.

Skaha out and back is no longer feasible. Way too much traffic, residential development and wine tourism past 10 years. I ran it 2 weeks ago and of November and did not feel safe!!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its here!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 lap up vancouver hill and on the KVR, 2 laps in town down mainstreet and along the lake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This, combined with the new hard bike course makes me want to come out of iron distance retirement.
More time on the KVR would be nice, but I understand the need to keep everyone in town after dark.
For all the slower athletes they will get much needed crowd support, rather than the long lonely slog along Skaha.
I think I'm in for 2022!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
This, combined with the new hard bike course makes me want to come out of iron distance retirement.
More time on the KVR would be nice, but I understand the need to keep everyone in town after dark.
For all the slower athletes they will get much needed crowd support, rather than the long lonely slog along Skaha.
I think I'm in for 2022!
They have to turn around on the KVR at that point because they can't be having people crossing Naramata Road as there is waaaaaaay too much traffic out there these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
I think I'm in for 2022!

They have to turn around on the KVR at that point because they can't be having people crossing Naramata Road as there is waaaaaaay too much traffic out there these days.

Sure, but they could do more loops.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
I think I'm in for 2022!

Sure, but they could do more loops.
It is a pity the River Channel path is a barren wasteland with few services as I'd prefer to run down and back to Skaha with the floating bikini parade as a distraction but I guess they want to keep the spectators fed and watered along Main St.

One thing that will have old time IMC people wide eyed is just how much Penticton has grown since the last time IMC was in town.
Quote Reply

Prev Next