Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick
Quote | Reply
Anyone else got this invite from Ironman?
What are they launching, super expensive watch for IM athletes? I thought Garmin already done that.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I got the invite and googled it. I found this: https://www.breitling.com/...double-century-23936

No mention of the Launch Party. It may involve Ryf, Frodo and Macca.

I don't think I'll go. It happens to be on my wife's birthday.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
super expensive watch

Breitling vs Garmin? Not even close, unless you buy a Garmin for both arms, both legs, and 2 for the bike. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breitling and IRONMAN have formed a partnership.
Garmin never had a partnership.
Timex had the watch/ ware-able category locked up for years but recently they didn't find the value and have let IM sell others into the category.

I saw that over 500 people RSVP so far; should be a real sweet event....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think Breitling even has sports watches.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Isn't the type of watch that Breitling (and Tag) makes by definition a "sports watch" (long before a timex or Garmin)?

Quote | Reply
Honestly...I don't get the strategy here? I guess for IM it's money. But having a sponsor that produces an unattainable product for most of your customer base is stupider than anything I can imagine.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Honestly...I don't get the strategy here? I guess for IM it's money. But having a sponsor that produces an unattainable product for most of your customer base is stupider than anything I can imagine.

Of course it's for the money. Ironman continues to extend its brand into new areas = new profit centers. And at least with Breitling, you can argue that they are NOT diluting the brand. I don't see this as stupid either. The market for high-end Swiss watches is tiny to begin with and market study after market study shows that Ironman participants have a lot of disposable income. If Breitling can capture a sliver of that market by selling a watch with the Mdot logo, and IM gets a piece of the pie, how is this stupid? It makes a lot more sense to me than slapping on a Nascar logo and teaming with Walmart to sell a $2500+ wrist decoration.

For the record, I wear a Garmin 920 virtually 24/7 and will put on a low end stainless steel Seiko watch if I'm dressing up.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huff is absolutely right. There isn't anything to lose for IM in this partnership. Their target market has disposable income, as is proven by the pricing on everything across the sport. If they can make some money in a new area (high end watches) why wouldn't they? It will be interesting to see what Breitling comes up with.

I'm also in the same boat as Huff. I'll wear my 920xt as my daily driver, but if I have to look even remotely nice (like wearing a collared shirt) I'll put on my Tag. No different than an athlete that rides their road bike all the time and only breaks the TT bike out for races.

My $.02

HuffNPuff wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Of course it's for the money. Ironman continues to extend its brand into new areas = new profit centers. And at least with Breitling, you can argue that they are NOT diluting the brand. I don't see this as stupid either. The market for high-end Swiss watches is tiny to begin with and market study after market study shows that Ironman participants have a lot of disposable income. If Breitling can capture a sliver of that market by selling a watch with the Mdot logo, and IM gets a piece of the pie, how is this stupid? It makes a lot more sense to me than slapping on a Nascar logo and teaming with Walmart to sell a $2500+ wrist decoration.

For the record, I wear a Garmin 920 virtually 24/7 and will put on a low end stainless steel Seiko watch if I'm dressing up.

šŸ’€ Fxck Cancer Endurance Team šŸ’€
āš”ļøāš”ļø PLUSH Global āš”ļøāš”ļø

Last edited by: Vicious15: Jul 12, 19 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [Vicious15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vicious15 wrote:
Huff is absolutely right. There isn't anything to lose for IM in this partnership.

No problem with it as long as IM seemed equally invested in promoting youth triathlon as "maximizing return." But IM seems laser focused on 50 y.o. affluent dudes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bifff wrote:
No mention of the Launch Party. It may involve Ryf, Frodo and Macca.

i found a pretty interesting interview with the breitling CEO from about 6 months ago. worth reading. first, the race they all did was 125mi, and he did it. so, not exactly just a guy who sits in a chair all day. second, the intervewer asked what he was reading. answer? jan frodeno's book. third, his emerging markets are china and the middle east. just opened a concept store in dubai. and fourth, if you look at the 3 people who make up his triathlon squad, it was either sheer coincidence or this was under the guidance of the prince of bahrain's retinue, which would make sense if breitling wanted to extend to bahrain what it is developing in dubai (or maybe it already has that in bahrain).

i don't see any downside to any of this. HOKA just launched a $115 tri-friendly racing flat, which i just bought off its website 2 days ago so i could review it for you all. this, while nike has its $250 shoe for you. there are plenty of expensive and inexpensive options for you all. i'm about to write up a $40 race i've been doing on thursday nights, my favorite race experience this year. we had $30 timex ironman watches for a long time. i don't mind triathlon getting debited now for an association with a luxury watch company, if it also gets credited for a 35 year run with selling a very accessible watch.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At some point, I will take the money I save by not buying a watch i donā€™t need and, instead, will buy another bike I donā€™t need
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got another email:
Quote:
We are excited to announce Ironman legend, Paula Newby-Fraser and the Voice of Ironman, Mike Reilly, will be joining us at our Breitling launch event.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
At some point, I will take the money I save by not buying a watch i donā€™t need and, instead, will buy another bike I donā€™t need

That's one hell of a watch, Poon.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i usually live in zurich, which is sort of ground zero for a lot of swiss watch companies.

brietling, despite everything, have always had a slightly more 'edgy,' or 'cool' brand than many of the other heavyweight swissies. swiss air runs their ads, and for years it was dudes on motorbikes and old racing prop planes getting love letters from pinup girls.

now, brietling's putting on a big marketing push with a handful of pro sufers, including kelly slater. his signature model of the superocean retails for something like $7000 USD.

from the perspective of someone selling watches in that ballpark, there are certainly worse demographics to connect with than the rich A-types in ironman.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Maybe they plan to come out with a smart watch model similar to the Tag Heuer Connected. You can pick one of those up for the price of a Garmin Fenix 5x + sapphire and an oil change on your BMW
Last edited by: TAC: Jul 13, 19 18:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in NYC and got the invite. Just curious why I would even consider going to this? There is no information about the event except the speculation around the partnership in this thread. Do you think my wife and I could at least score some free booze and hors d'oeuvres out of it? Maybe a coupon for $100 off a $7K watch?

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, for those interested: here's the new Breitling Superocean Automatic 44 Ironman Limited Edition. List price is US$3,950 and limited to 300 pieces worldwide.

The fine print shows you can order and pre-purchase online and at Breitling Boutiques and also at these two IRONMAN World Championships Events: Nice, France (week of Sept 7, 2019) and Kona, Hawaii (week of Oct 12).

Watch looks really nice, but unfortunately (way) outside of my price range. That and I would get more use out of these Timex Ironman watches.
@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it include a Kona entry?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Newby-Fraser, who is now retired from her Ironman days, is not a part of Breitlingā€™s Squadā€”although they do have a Triathlon Squad including Jan Frodeno, Chris ā€˜Maccaā€™ McCormack and Daniela Ryf, who were busy training and couldnā€™t attend the eventā€”but she is a legend.

https://robbreport.com/...ivers-watch-2860141/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™d have bought it (collect watches) if it had the date. Donā€™t have a Breitling and this would have been just a fun addition.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

No, but if you buy one Mike Reilly personally delivers it and loudly announces "Logella... you are a sucker!"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love Breitling watches...don't have one but love their looks. If I were to buy one, it wouldn't be an Ironman one...Also, seems odd, it launched a week ago and they haven't even sold their max of 300
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atkid wrote:
Well, for those interested: here's the new Breitling Superocean Automatic 44 Ironman Limited Edition. List price is US$3,950 and limited to 300 pieces worldwide.

The fine print shows you can order and pre-purchase online and at Breitling Boutiques and also at these two IRONMAN World Championships Events: Nice, France (week of Sept 7, 2019) and Kona, Hawaii (week of Oct 12).

Watch looks really nice, but unfortunately (way) outside of my price range. That and I would get more use out of these Timex Ironman watches.
@Kid

I'm sure there are plenty of "dentists" who will find this watch to be a nice way to celebrate their WC participation. Really no different than any other Mdot gear, just a lot pricier. If that's how folks want to spend their $$$...

As for Breitling, this is a good way to access this demo; though personally, since I got my Fenix my Swiss watches just sit on the nightstand (to the point that the wife has designs on getting one of them resized for her).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & Breitling launch party with Andrew Messick [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
logella wrote:

No, but if you buy one Mike Reilly personally delivers it and loudly announces "Logella... you are a sucker!"

This site really needs an upgrade so I can click LIKE

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply

Prev Next