Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Austria 2018
Quote | Reply
Good Afternoon,

I am taking part in Ironman Austria 1st July (its coming up fast!) and just wondered if any others had competed. I have a TT bike which I use a 53/39 11-28 set up on. I have to be honest and say looking at the bike course has terrified me a bit! I live in Suffolk in the UK which is known for being flat/rolling. I could go out and do 100 miles clocking only about 2,000ft of climbing. I really like the set up I have on the bike but I had been thinking about whether putting a compact on front would be beneficial, my coach does have a spare if I wanted to use it but its a hassle as I currently have a rotor 30mm set up and I would have to change the crankset, bottom bracket and chainset, add to that were only just over 2 weeks away and my bike is being sent next week to race HQ.

I guess what im looking for is peace of mind that a 39-28 will see me up those tough climbs in Austria, I realize that there is a lot of descent which is fine, there are only a couple of really tough climbs but of course I would be doing them twice. To give some context I am 69kg and have an FTP of just over 260. Ive done a decent amount of training for this and feel ready for the distance, its just the climbing that im worried about spiking power/HR too much and paying big time later. In the climbs I have done around here I have just about been able to control by going at a low cadence and keeping power levels below FTP threshold, but of course these are only small climbs (gradient wise they probably match up in some cases).

Any advice/feedback from those who have done the course would be great. This is my first Ironman and I am nervous, I have done 3 half Iron races, my latest in May in Nottingham which I finished in 5.16 so feel in decent shape heading in to this. Looking at some feedback it sounds like an amazing place to go and race so I need to try and enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Austria 2018 [charlton89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did IM Klagenfurt in 2015. At that time I didn't know much about different setups, actually it was my second year in this sport. My FTP was around 265-270 (76kg) and I rode 11/25. It wasn't easy on some hills since my cadence was sometimes way bellow 50, but nothing extremely hard. My bike split was 5:38 if that means something to you.
With 28 at the back you don't have nothing to worry about

Have a good race

Bojan
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Austria 2018 [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Bojan that is useful. That's a decent bike split you posted! Assume you had a standard 53/39 at front end?

I did think having a 28 on back should be enough but without having anything lifelike to practice on theres always been that nagging worry in back of my head.

Ill be delighted if I get anywhere near that bike split! Id be happy with 6 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're welcome.
Yes standard 53/39 was at the front. It's a beautiful course with fast descents, no blind spots, so give yourself a chance to gain some speed there :)
On the run you will experience unbelievable amount of cheering. I think that folks over there live for the race
You will enjoy, believe me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing IM Norway on 1 Jul and I live in Florida...same issue. I've done all my riding indoors on Rouvy to get plenty of hill work and will be taking a 50-34 and 11-28; but I'm also in the M60 and need the easier gearing. For hilly courses, "mo gears is mo better!" BTW, I lived in Suffolk before so I know exactly what you are saying. Good luck in your race!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fastest biketime in Austria was 5:15. I'm riding 50/34 12/29, and would not like to climb there with 39-28. Anyway, I like small gears when climbing and weigh 84 kg.
The bike in Austria is maybe the easiest there is, even easier than a flat course because the four short climbs give you the opportunity to stretch away from the aeroposition.
The descents are indeed very easy and not steep, such that the bike course is fast. You'll hardly need your brakes.
Good luck.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jun 12, 18 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Austria in 2012 (hot hot hot...) and had my bike set up with a standard chainset 53/39 and only a 12-25 on the back. It was fine. I live somewhere very hilly (West Yorkshire TDF route territory) so am quite used to grinding up steep hills at low cadence. Rupertiberg is the main climb and nowhere near as steep as what I am used to, so it didn't seem like a big deal to me to get out of the saddle for a bit in 39/25 and stretch the legs. It was over in no time, both laps. It was my first IM and I rode 5:3x (can't remember exact time).

The vast majority of the course is fairly flat or slightly rolling, but there are hills and some of the speed comes from the superb road surface. After Rupertiberg you get a long extended descent back down to the lake... you will want your big gears for that. That said, a 50/11 is actually a longer gear than my 53/12 was, so maybe with 11 teeth at the back you could just take the safe option and put a compact on there. But then your 39/28 is quite a bit easier gearing than I rode.

I wouldn't worry about coming from the Suffolk flats, it is a fast fast course. You just have to pedal! I think you'll be fine with what you have.

Whatever else happens, remember to RING THE BELL !!!

You are so lucky, I bloody love that race.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jun 13, 18 1:54
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Austria 2018 [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I raced Austria in 2012 (hot hot hot...) and had my bike set up with a standard chainset 53/39 and only a 12-25 on the back. It was fine. I live somewhere very hilly (West Yorkshire TDF route territory) so am quite used to grinding up steep hills at low cadence. Rupertiberg is the main climb and nowhere near as steep as what I am used to, so it didn't seem like a big deal to me to get out of the saddle for a bit in 39/25 and stretch the legs. It was over in no time, both laps. It was my first IM and I rode 5:3x (can't remember exact time).

The vast majority of the course is fairly flat or slightly rolling, but there are hills and some of the speed comes from the superb road surface. After Rupertiberg you get a long extended descent back down to the lake... you will want your big gears for that. That said, a 50/11 is actually a longer gear than my 53/12 was, so maybe with 11 teeth at the back you could just take the safe option and put a compact on there. But then your 39/28 is quite a bit easier gearing than I rode.

I wouldn't worry about coming from the Suffolk flats, it is a fast fast course. You just have to pedal! I think you'll be fine with what you have.

Whatever else happens, remember to RING THE BELL !!!

You are so lucky, I bloody love that race.

Thanks for this. Sounds like I may be ok with what I have, I do like the set up as I spend a lot of time in middle gearing and do sometimes hit the high gears when I get a good run with a tail wind going. I don't mind a bit of grinding so long as it's not for long. Massive kudos for doing it in 2012, that year is famous in Austria for the weather being ridiculously hot. I'm praying it's not like that this year, mid 20s with a bit of rain on the run please! If it is very hot then I will be backing off pace from the start

I can't wait for it as so many people have said how amazing the race is[/reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is only one tough climb really per lap - the first "climb" that they specify on the map is relatively short and usually very crowded with supporters that push you uphill so you cant really count that. The tougher one is the one to the end, its relatively long and steep in some places, and in a remote location. You will manage to get up there easily with 39-28. I personally plan to do it with 55/42 in front this year, not looking forward to the climb but hey its only one, so manageable. I did last year with standard 53/39 on my 98kg with no problems.

I would advise against compact in any case, its a really fast course in some parts where you need bigger gears (unless you are very efficient on pedaling above 100 rpm for longer periods).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Austria 2018 [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben6 wrote:
There is only one tough climb really per lap - the first "climb" that they specify on the map is relatively short and usually very crowded with supporters that push you uphill so you cant really count that. The tougher one is the one to the end, its relatively long and steep in some places, and in a remote location. You will manage to get up there easily with 39-28. I personally plan to do it with 55/42 in front this year, not looking forward to the climb but hey its only one, so manageable. I did last year with standard 53/39 on my 98kg with no problems.

I would advise against compact in any case, its a really fast course in some parts where you need bigger gears (unless you are very efficient on pedaling above 100 rpm for longer periods).

Thanks Ben. No I'm not efficient at crazy cadences. I'm going to stick with what I've got. Think I've just been over thinking it a bit. Hope you have a great race, can't wait to get over there now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Austria in 2016 with a 38 small chainring and an 11-28 cassette.
I wasn't in fantastic shape at the time. I wasn't using power but would hazard a guess my FTP was around 260 at a weight around 82kg.
My plan was to switch to a 36T small chainring but never did and raced on the 38T. The smaller gear would have helped but I got by alright on 38/28. The climbs are not huge. There are steep sections but they're not vicious or terribly long, although that's all relative and they might seem worse if you're not used to climbing.
Since you're a similar FTP to what I had then and you're only 69kg presumably with good endurance, I don't think you'll have a problem.
If I was you, I wouldn't go switching cranksets and chainrings at this stage. You'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Austria is a beautiful race...you will love it! I used a 12/27 and was absolutely fine. Only one rough climb, and the last part of each loop is down hill:) The run can get really hot, so plan your hydration/nutrition wisely. Enjoy!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how did it go? :)

I'm just curious because I'm going to do it myself in 2019. Normally I'm riding a 54/42-11/25. But for Klagenfurt I'm thinking about going for a 11/28.
My FTP is 343 and i weigh around 74kg. So I think I'm going to be fine just with switching the rear cassette.

But my biggest thoughts is about the wheelset up.
I got a set of:
Dura Ace 60mm tubular with ceramic speed upg.
Bontrager aeolus 9 d3 clincher
FFWD fcc carbon disc clincher rear wheel.

For almost all my races, my setup has been the Bontrager in the front and the disc wheel in the back.
But since there are some climbes i have been thinking a bit about the weight. The Disc is not light at 1400g where the 90mm Brontager comes in at 972gram. What would you choose?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Austria 2018 [drschwencke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disc disc disc. Don't overthink it. Weight is overrated. There's a few sharp-ish climbs but there are also long, gradual descents where the disc wheel will out-perform any other wheel.

Also, at 340W and 74kg, don't fret the hills either.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Austria 2018 [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what i seen most people also choose the disc down there. What do you think about my gearing? Can i keep my 42/25 or should i go for 42/28?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
definitely a disc course, even if its a heavy(ish) one

I'm back in 2019 for my third Austria

Bike course is one of the best on the circuit. Scenic, fast and smooth roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drschwencke wrote:
From what i seen most people also choose the disc down there. What do you think about my gearing? Can i keep my 42/25 or should i go for 42/28?
That's really down to how you want to ride as much as anything.
You've plenty power so I reckon you'd be okay on 42/25, but it's big gear and you might prefer to have something smaller available, especially if you prefer to spin rather than grind. If unsure, I think it's wise to err on the side of smaller gears just in case. After all, there's nothing forcing you to use them and with 10 or 11 speed, an 11-28 doesn't have any huge increments in it likely to cause you distress!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Austria 2018 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TT bike has a 54 / 42 Front and either a 28 / 11 or 25/11 rear.

IIRC I ran the 28/11 first time and 25/11 second time I was there.
Quote Reply