Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley
Quote | Reply
Looks like the event will take place September 20, 2019 based on a one year trial agreement. Execution of the host agreement is slated for a city council vote on November 12.

Who’s in?
https://www.maplevalleywa.gov/...howdocument?id=24200[/url] search for “Ironman” on page.
Last edited by: GeorgeC: Nov 9, 19 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [GeorgeC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's cool. Could be rather chilly and nasty (rain) that time of year but I'm sure there will be alot of interest from the NW and western Canada for a 'local' race. They could make it a challenging bike if they head towards Mt. Rainier, too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be in although my schedule for september 2020 is up in the air at the moment.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like a week after Black Diamond race....hmm.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [nicholasJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nicholasJ wrote:

Yeah, I can see how Ironman was super concerned about another half iron race that had 176 finishers.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They moved black Diamond to August 1st
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmmmm - late september weekends are so hit or miss
it can either be cold and raining or beautiful - this one is almost gauranteed to have a bunch of bad weather races
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
hmmmmm - late september weekends are so hit or miss
it can either be cold and raining or beautiful - this one is almost gauranteed to have a bunch of bad weather races

Very true... but also guaranteed to never be scorching hot. But even the middle of summer is a mixed bag in Seattle, 3 of my races this summer were in pouring rain.

Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
That's cool. Could be rather chilly and nasty (rain) that time of year but I'm sure there will be alot of interest from the NW and western Canada for a 'local' race. They could make it a challenging bike if they head towards Mt. Rainier, too!

I'm excited for this, I assume/hope that it will head towards the hills as I think it is being trialed to be part of the challenging 3 race rotation for western IMs

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Black Diamond Half race about 8 times, for some reason - weather was almost always perfect. The conflict out here in Western Canada is that the Maple Valley event falls on the same weekend as the Cultus Lake Triathlons (all distances). Mind you, the kind of Canuck who does a branded 70.3 event, is probably not the same as many who show up at Cultus. They want a different sort of race experience.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is solidly a low land race venue, similar to Lake Stevens or Victoria. There are a couple of rivers that have steep descents and climbs but they are short. Could end up with a sizable cumulative elevation but no mountain pass climbs. Could be a fun race but probably not going to be in the spectacular category.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
nicholasJ wrote:

Yeah, I can see how Ironman was super concerned about another half iron race that had 176 finishers.

I Was thinking More along the lines of Ironman putting an end to a long time running triathlon but okay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This race should be awesome. Born and raised in Vancouver BC and for the most part I would say Septembers are usually pretty warm and dry. This year was a strange year by being wet and cold but wouldn't expect next year to be the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh!! this is cool -- did they just take the Black Diamond long course and M-Dot it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone remember Lake Stevens? That was a really fun race.

E

GeorgeC wrote:
Looks like the event will take place September 20, 2019 based on a one year trial agreement. Execution of the host agreement is slated for a city council vote on November 12.

Who’s in?
https://www.maplevalleywa.gov/...howdocument?id=24200[/url] search for “Ironman” on page.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nicholasJ wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
nicholasJ wrote:

I Was thinking More along the lines of Ironman putting an end to a long time running triathlon but okay

Let me rephrase for you...

Yeah, I can see how Ironman is super concerned about putting an end to a long time running triathlon with 176 finishers in the half iron distance event.

Better? 😁

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Does anyone remember Lake Stevens? That was a really fun race.

E

GeorgeC wrote:

Who’s in?

I heard Lake Stevens was shit and the locals hated hosting it.

Either way, Maple Valley could be cool but it will be cold that time of year.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my first HIM back in 2005. Still trying to better that time!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The course was awesome, but yeah, the locals seemed to hate it. Not many friendly drivers when out pre-riding the course
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [harshc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
harshc wrote:
Oh!! this is cool -- did they just take the Black Diamond long course and M-Dot it?

The earlier thread and meeting notes indicated they were thinking of using Lake Wilderness for the swim. If that is the case they will need every foot of that lake to get in the distance (the Oly there in June is pretty much the entire lake.) I know the Lake Wilderness course does use part of the Black Diamond 1/2 bike course (part of the loop you do twice) so highly likely the IM race heads out on the same roads.

Quote | Reply
Grew up in Western Washington...
Septembers are generally better than June, weather wise.
This year was not so great, but it is usually one of the best months to be here.
FWIW, we've done Black Diamond twice. Both times it was sunny and cool. Perfect for us.
Hope this comes through...
Last edited by: triX2: Nov 10, 19 20:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates on this?

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen anything (and I am local.) RTB Black Diamond Tri (which has been our local 70.3 dist race in early Sept) did officially move their 2020 date forward by 5 weeks which was done to make sure they didn't conflict with this IM race (if it happens.) So clearly it has a chance but I would think the clock is ticking if they want people to plan their race season with this one in mind. I am sure they could always wait a bit longer and then highly advertise it (with special deals) at Victoria, Canada and CdA to get the local crowd signed up. I guess that is the advantage of it being late in the summer season. I think it has the potential to be a great race... weather should be mild or cool (very little risk of hot or freezing) and the bike course should be a good challenge and hilly enough to stop any major draft packs, etc but not crazy challenging (it wont be flat!) If they do use Lake Wilderness the run will likely utilize the urban trail that is nearby which is a constant slight grade (no hills.. it think it is an old rail road corridor) so one direction you are running slightly uphill and then after the turn around you are running slightly down. For the race they have there in the spring you also get about 1.5 miles of running on some local roads before you get back to the park and that section is crazy hilly. Here is a link to the Lake Wilderness Tri (Spring/Oly) which will give you some idea of the area and potential roads. https://www.lakewildernesstriathlon.com/ You can see how a 1600yard loop on the lake is 80% of it... so 1.2 miles is going to pretty much be the shoreline but I think it is doable. The further loop on the bike is the same road the Black Diamond Long/half course uses. In general these are great roads to ride on. The park is a decent size but parking will be an issue since everyone will need to drive in (no hotels within walking distance.) There is some parking at the park and arboretum but not much in the way of overflow other than streets so I would guess they would need to bus people in from a remote parking location. Most of the hotels will be in in Kent and Renton (so a bit of a drive) but people could easily stay up in the Bellevue area and drive down race morning (it's maybe 30-40min drive with no traffic.)

Quote | Reply
Oof!! Using Lake Wilderness would be interesting. You hit the other issue -- there is no "race hotel" the course for both races is out in the middle of nowhere. For the original races thats not a problem, because people wake up in their own beds and drive down the morning of. For a IM70.3 with the amount of space they need for the setup, that is going to push the limits on how people will get in and out. There isnt a ton of parking at either of those two lakes and the roads are narrow and single lane. I guess much like the old Lake Stevens location.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [harshc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw this today from USAT...says pending for 9/20/20...

https://www.teamusa.org/...thlon---302968109893
Quote Reply

Prev Next