Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they were spread out a bit on the calendar I bet they would have plenty of people doing both

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering just how brutal the bike course will be at this race? It results in 300 feet of net elevation loss, but you know there will be a shit ton of climbs and descents in between. I know someone that is not a strong cyclist that registered for the race. Basically threw up a post along the lines of "Bring it!" on social media. It could be a real struggle to meet the bike split cutoff time.

%FTP wrote:
The course nets downhill sure, but 300ft down is one small hill in roanoke.

Just climbing out of the carvins boat dock will be considered a serious climb and a "technical" descent compared to most triathlon courses.

If its going to botetourt co, it will likely stay on the flatter areas of Roanoke. That said, I'd expect at least 3,000' of climbing (and even that could be hard to attain). Rides here, even the flat ones, can go over 75ft/mi very easily. It's pretty hard to get less than 50'/mi, and if you try, you can get well over 200'/mi!

I'm guessing they'll keep this away from the mountains and try to use some of the busier streets in the valleys. Maybe they figured out a way to use the parkway, which would be incredible, scenic, and super hilly.

All in all, expect a very rolling bike course that gets progressively easier the closer you get to rivers edge park, and a mostly flat run. They'll probably have to throw in a hill somewhere to get full run miles, unless they do a multi pass run on the greenway (one way first, other way next, then back to T2 for the finish).

If you do this race, stay for a few days after and do some rides. It's some of the best road/gravel/mtbing on the east coast.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Aug 15, 19 5:57
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I doubt Ironman will make it that hard and in reality I'd wager on them trying to make it as easy as possible. Look at Chattanooga. For what's around the area, there is very little climbing. Going up means going down and Ironman wants no part of tricky descents or having to institute speed limits if they can help it. There will be enough climbing to get away from the lake and then as much valley road scenery as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pacco wrote:
Honestly, I doubt Ironman will make it that hard and in reality I'd wager on them trying to make it as easy as possible. Look at Chattanooga. For what's around the area, there is very little climbing. Going up means going down and Ironman wants no part of tricky descents or having to institute speed limits if they can help it. There will be enough climbing to get away from the lake and then as much valley road scenery as possible.

I'm anxiously awaiting the bike course map. I love that area of the country. I agree it's likely they will make it as easy as possible. I agree on Chattanooga. I've done both the full and half there and there's nothing on the bike courses that I feel is that awful. There are a few more challenging climbs here and there but nothing has that felt significantly long and awful.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:

Anyone hear any chatter about how this race is impacting Eagleman registration, for those of you in the immediate traveling vicinity?

They seem to be very similar in terms of registration. They both just recently sold out Tier 1.......

Eating each other maybe?
Last edited by: bulldog15: Oct 3, 19 5:45
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [Willi3ja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Willi3ja wrote:
I guess I’m still not following. Parking is very limited at the reservoir so I doubt anyone will be allowed to park there, and they’ll most likely running shuttles. So everyone rides over to swim start. Then spectators would catch one back to River’s Edge park where presumably T2 will be (13 miles away). They can see you come in on the bike and then its most likely going to be a run on the greenway with the finish very close to where the run started. The finish line isn’t going to be 13.1 miles from T2.
One of the problems with course design here is finding a place to swim, and they managed to get a special one day permit. The reservoir is at the end of a 1.5/2 lane backroad, so there weren’t really any other options than starting the race there and then letting it end by the river in the vicinity of downtown where there’s plenty more things to do.

I wish they would describe the planned race logistics on the event site but that stuff usually goes in the athlete guide. My assumption is shuttles would run from downtown near T2/Finish so race morning you park downtown. Not sure what race morning parking would be like. It looks like the swim start is like 30 minutes from T2. That's a bit of a long shuttle ride race morning. But maybe the best setup they could manage.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bulldog15 wrote:
UK2ME wrote:

Anyone hear any chatter about how this race is impacting Eagleman registration, for those of you in the immediate traveling vicinity?

They seem to be very similar in terms of registration. They both just recently sold out Tier 1.......

Eating each other maybe?

Does IM define the numbers behind the Tiers? I haven’t seen that so I assume it’s not useful for gauging registration between races with any level of accuracy.
Last edited by: mickison: Oct 3, 19 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Willi3ja wrote:
I guess I’m still not following. Parking is very limited at the reservoir so I doubt anyone will be allowed to park there, and they’ll most likely running shuttles. So everyone rides over to swim start. Then spectators would catch one back to River’s Edge park where presumably T2 will be (13 miles away). They can see you come in on the bike and then its most likely going to be a run on the greenway with the finish very close to where the run started. The finish line isn’t going to be 13.1 miles from T2.
One of the problems with course design here is finding a place to swim, and they managed to get a special one day permit. The reservoir is at the end of a 1.5/2 lane backroad, so there weren’t really any other options than starting the race there and then letting it end by the river in the vicinity of downtown where there’s plenty more things to do.

I wish they would describe the planned race logistics on the event site but that stuff usually goes in the athlete guide. My assumption is shuttles would run from downtown near T2/Finish so race morning you park downtown. Not sure what race morning parking would be like. It looks like the swim start is like 30 minutes from T2. That's a bit of a long shuttle ride race morning. But maybe the best setup they could manage.

That's what I'm thinking too. I just don't know how it's going to work. There are I think 40 parking spaces total in the lot at the cove. I have no idea where they are going to park cars much less put however many bikes there. And I guess we are going to have to be shuttled back to get our swim stuff after the race. I personally will probably just ride my bike back. It's about 11 road miles from River's Edge to the cove parking lot. Then not far from there to my house.

I'm excited to have an event literally in my back yard. And on roads that I have ridden many many times. I'm just worried about the logistics like everyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [chadtrent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume they will bring swim bags from T1 to finish for you after the race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
bulldog15 wrote:
UK2ME wrote:

Eating each other maybe?

Does IM define the numbers behind the Tiers? I haven’t seen that so I assume it’s not useful for gauging registration between races with any level of accuracy.

I have no idea. It might not even be numbers. Maybe it's a date....

I was kind of keeping an eye on it and noticed they are both Tier 2 now. Which probably leans toward a date as opposed to registration #s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:

Probably. This will be my first event where T1 and T2 are in different locations so I guess we will see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chadtrent wrote:
mickison wrote:

Probably. This will be my first event where T1 and T2 are in different locations so I guess we will see.

I’d IM 70.3 Wilmington and that’s what they did. It worked fine. I’d just like to know how parking race morning will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chadtrent wrote:
mickison wrote:

I think I've done 2 or 3 split transitions at this point. Logistics have always been surprisingly easy. They'll definitely bring all your stuff back to t2 so you won't have to go back to the water. Honestly the most inconvenient part is having to go to both locations the day before the race to set stuff up. Just give yourself more time than you think you need for the shuttle as there are times that get really busy when everyone shows up.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea Carilion owns three parking garages in the immediate area of t2/the finish and there’s another Carilion garage and multiple city owned garages downtown they could use for parking.
There’s really no good open water swimming here aside from the state park beach maybe 45-60 minutes away and this is the only time the reservoir will be allowing people in the water so it really is the best option.
I agree that IM will likely do all the bag shuttling, biggest logistics issue may be getting people in and out for bike drop off with the limited parking likely consumed by the transition area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell me about the roads. Good condition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:

For the most part they are fine. The road coming out of the cove isn't great, and the roads around River's Edge need a little work. If the course goes where I think it will we will have pretty good roads. May not be any super smooth fresh asphalt, but they are very popular cycling roads.People don't tend to want to ride much on roads that are bad. I don't think it will be anything to worry about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chadtrent wrote:
mickison wrote:
Willi3ja wrote:

That's what I'm thinking too. I just don't know how it's going to work. There are I think 40 parking spaces total in the lot at the cove. I have no idea where they are going to park cars much less put however many bikes there. And I guess we are going to have to be shuttled back to get our swim stuff after the race. I personally will probably just ride my bike back. It's about 11 road miles from River's Edge to the cove parking lot. Then not far from there to my house.

I'm excited to have an event literally in my back yard. And on roads that I have ridden many many times. I'm just worried about the logistics like everyone else.

The logistics here are almost exactly like Raleigh 70.3 used to be. Swim location with minimal parking that's a good 20 min ride from downtown. That went surprisingly smooth with lots of buses to take athletes and spectators to the start. Yes they'll bring your bags back downtown (morning clothes and Bike bag). Anyone can get on the shuttles either direction. It works well. The only difference is there appears to have been a bit more parking at the Raleigh swim than at the reservoir, so bike drop off may be a bit of a challenge.

Have fun and enjoy the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Va roads are generally pretty good.

I haven't done a tri in 10 years but this could bring me back. If anyone has done Williamsburg and/or Eagleman, Roanoke crushes those venues for fun, fun, fun and probably weather. Looks like this won't be super hilly, but it certainly could be if they changed the course. Big mountains available. It's a railroad town that is enjoying an economic rebirth via a commitment to outdoor recreation, cycling, tri, mountain biking, etc. Damn good beer and music town too. Decent, hipster vibe. Not overbearing.

Awesome idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chadtrent wrote:
mickison wrote:

For the most part they are fine. The road coming out of the cove isn't great, and the roads around River's Edge need a little work. If the course goes where I think it will we will have pretty good roads. May not be any super smooth fresh asphalt, but they are very popular cycling roads.People don't tend to want to ride much on roads that are bad. I don't think it will be anything to worry about.

Great. Thanks. Yeah. Perfectly smooth is hard to find. As long is it’s reasonably good. I did IM Chattanooga this past weekend and the roads were very bad compared to years past IMO
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

I haven't done a tri in 10 years but this could bring me back. If anyone has done Williamsburg and/or Eagleman, Roanoke crushes those venues for fun, fun, fun and probably weather. Looks like this won't be super hilly, but it certainly could be if they changed the course. Big mountains available. It's a railroad town that is enjoying an economic rebirth via a commitment to outdoor recreation, cycling, tri, mountain biking, etc. Damn good beer and music town too. Decent, hipster vibe. Not overbearing.

Awesome idea.

I did Williamsburg in 2017. Not my favorite. It seems super popular with the Rev3 fans. With that venue I could only see the appeal if you enjoy camping and wanted to camp at the venue over the weekend. Swim was okay. I don't remember the bike much other than on the end they brought you back down the highway and there was a fair amount of car traffic. But I believe they've changed that so that's probably better. I didn't care for the run. An out an back on the Capital Trail with a lot of sun and little crowd support. Races with some in town routes are always good when you have a few people watching, cheering, etc.

This race looks cool though. Swim looks like it could be super nice. Bike could be good and maybe tough. Run looks like it goes through some parks and is near downtown so you would think you would get some good crowd support
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Awesome idea.

I did Williamsburg in 2017. Not my favorite. It seems super popular with the Rev3 fans. With that venue I could only see the appeal if you enjoy camping and wanted to camp at the venue over the weekend. Swim was okay. I don't remember the bike much other than on the end they brought you back down the highway and there was a fair amount of car traffic. But I believe they've changed that so that's probably better. I didn't care for the run. An out an back on the Capital Trail with a lot of sun and little crowd support. Races with some in town routes are always good when you have a few people watching, cheering, etc.

This race looks cool though. Swim looks like it could be super nice. Bike could be good and maybe tough. Run looks like it goes through some parks and is near downtown so you would think you would get some good crowd support

I think you are correct on all accounts. Swimming is not normally allowed in the cove, as it's where the area gets its drinking water. Bike I expect to be tough. I did some mapping of what I think the route will be. No official word yet obviously. But knowing the start and finish and what distance it needs to be, there are only a few options I see. I'm thinking about 3000 feet of climbing. Nothing too steep though. The run is on the most popular section of the greenway. Plenty of people out there on a normal day. So many on weekends that you really can't ride it very well because of having to dodge people every 20 yards. I expect to see a decent crowd for the run. We get good crowds for other events like 5ks and charity walks on the greenway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I'm guessing IM doesn't want to make the bike crazy hard. I am really curious about the bike for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone hear any more infor on the bike course? Im debating between this race and Chatt right now
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:
Anyone hear any more infor on the bike course? Im debating between this race and Chatt right now

I just checked today and map is not up yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve sent two emails asking about the bike course and didn’t even get a reply back either time oddly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next