Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
The problem with Trick or Tri (and Chula Vista) is the bike course. The ToT features 7 loops for the 70.3, mixed with the Olympic/Sprint folks, entering, exiting, all at different speeds. It sucks, with it being close to traffic being the only redeeming quality. Chula Vista has 4 loops, which is a little bit less sucky, but still. The run course consisting of 3-4 loops is not too terrible. The 70.3 options at both races drawing 100-120 participants every year is another negative.

Santa Cruz 70.3 is definitely an option but it is pretty early in Fall when you have more options.

Again, a December race in Palm Springs might be a total bust, but I think that it will draw enough interest from both the local and the snowbirds.

well also superfrog also has low turn out was it 200 this year? with 4 bike laps... awful run on the sand
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, HITS is by far the worst race ever. At least in PS. The worst part is that they endangered their athletes. No excuse for that.

I would never race with them again
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Sorry, HITS is by far the worst race ever. At least in PS. The worst part is that they endangered their athletes. No excuse for that.

I would never race with them again

Heard it was HORRIBLE in 2016. Seemed like they fixed a lot of things in 2017. Of course, I only did one of the shorter distances so I can't comment on the 70.3/full, but it was well run, fun, and competitive.

Also, water was mid 60's this year, no rain, no wind, 70 degree weather.

Weather is hit or miss that time of year, but I'd sure like another 70.3 or 140 in socal.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Are you serious? 200 people are superfrog?! That is crazy low! It’s almost like Ironman didn’t figure out that no one wants to pay $550 for a boring course 70.3.

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

well also superfrog also has low turn out was it 200 this year? with 4 bike laps... awful run on the sand

not that hard to look up, Superfrog had 559 finishers and 139 that either didn't finish or didn't start for a total of 698. Still low numbers by Ironman standards. I would expect that Palm Springs 70.3 would have similar numbers.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since folks on here seem pretty in-the-know... any updates on whether this race is actually going to happen?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the HITS race one year and my biggest gripe would be the water temp and general coldness of the morning. However, by the time I finished it was bright, hot, and sunny. I wish they would consider doing a 10am start or something similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing official from Ironman yet. I’ve spoken with the mayors and they said WTC is supposed to be announcing this week.

http://www.desertsun.com/...ber-2018/1000988001/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Since folks on here seem pretty in-the-know... any updates on whether this race is actually going to happen?

And here is the official! Hope to see you all in my backyard in December!! Salton Sea Triathlon Club will be hosting a bash like no other!!!
http://www.ironman.com/...a.aspx#axzz53EZ5xzbK

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is anyone going to give this a whirl?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m registered
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up being a volunteer for the HITS 1/2 in ‘16 due to
I person at aid station at turn around, out of nutrition so I gave him everything I had in my car. I drove to the full turn and took a lot from him as there were very few full participants. The road that was used is a “run off” from I-10 so the accident that happened routed traffic down this road. Semis on winding downhill roads and a race don’t mix. I changed 2 flats, gave out 2 water bottles, and tried to convince a girl pushing a wall mart style mtb up the hill at mi 20 to quit.
Nobody at transition for bags that were just thrown everywhere fromT1
The fly infested horse park was the biggest EFFIN joke ever. Oh and they had no lights on the runcourse.

HITS is a GD joke and I wish for the safety of participants that they would go away

IM branded race will be night and day difference
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a definite maybe. I'll see how I feel in Oct/Nov.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rather than freeze yourself off at either race, challenge has stepped up the game with a 70.3 in ensenada Mexico near by, same time frame $200
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Rather than freeze yourself off at either race, challenge has stepped up the game with a 70.3 in ensenada Mexico near by, same time frame $200

I don't think the Pacific Ocean is going to be that warm in December, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I am contemplating signing up for Indian Wells, after reading all of this what kind of temps are we looking at for the swim? Also anyone know any logistics, can you swing it with no rental car with the two transitions. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure that you'd need a vehicle there.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
Ok I am contemplating signing up for Indian Wells, after reading all of this what kind of temps are we looking at for the swim? Also anyone know any logistics, can you swing it with no rental car with the two transitions. Thanks

Water probably low 60s at warmest

You’ll need a car
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad...was all about this being my first 70.3 until I broke my clavicle.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next