Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman 70.3 Michigan
Quote | Reply
RACE UPDATE
Dear Stro,

We appreciate your continued patience since our last communication. After working with various host city partners over the last couple of months, we are pleased to announce that Frankfort, Michigan will serve as a multi-year host venue for the newly named IRONMAN® 70.3® Michigan triathlon, relocating from Traverse City. The IRONMAN 70.3 Michigan triathlon will take place on Sunday, September 12, 2021.

All athletes registered for the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Traverse City triathlon will have their race registration automatically deferred to the 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Michigan race date, but we have also provided a variety of additional race options. All options are listed below:

1) Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Michigan: September 12, 2021

2) Free deferral to 2021 Intermountain Healthcare IRONMAN 70.3 St. George: May 1, 2021

3) Free deferral to 2021 Visit Panama City Beach IRONMAN 70.3 Gulf Coast: May 15, 2021

4) Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Steelhead: June 27, 2021

5) Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Lubbock: June 27, 2021

6) Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Ohio: July 25, 2021

7) Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City: September 12, 2021

8) Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta: September 26, 2021

9) Free deferral to 2021 St. Jude IRONMAN 70.3 Memphis: October 2, 2021

10) Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie: October 2, 2021

11) Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina: October 23, 2021

12) Free deferral to 2021 Bicycle World Texas IRONMAN 70.3 Waco: October 24, 2021

Immediately following this communication, you will receive an email from Active with a link to select your race option. If you would like to compete on September 12, 2021, no action is required at this time. If you choose to not remain in the new race date, you will have until Thursday, December 17 at 11:59 p.m. ET to complete your new race selection in the provided Active link.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Dec 3, 20 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have family in Frankfort, it's a very nice little town. It's a fine location for a 70.3 but I will miss it being in TC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was signed up for Traverse City. Not sure how I feel about this. None of the other options would work for me. I was in Frankfort once many years ago but have zero knowledge about the area. Would the swim be in Lake Michigan? The one time did Steelhead the swim was cancelled so I am wary of a swim in the Great Lakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [Longrunhome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longrunhome wrote:
I was signed up for Traverse City. Not sure how I feel about this. None of the other options would work for me. I was in Frankfort once many years ago but have zero knowledge about the area. Would the swim be in Lake Michigan? The one time did Steelhead the swim was cancelled so I am wary of a swim in the Great Lakes.

The swim course is posted. It starts in Lake Michigan but inside the break wall. Should go off without a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankfort is a beautiful area and I think many folks will be very happy with most aspects of this venue. There is a good chance the fall colors will have started, which will really make this race pop! Prepare yourself for some hills on the bike and run. The only downside I can see is finding a place to stay immediately in the area. I am betting many will commute from Traverse City, which has plenty of lodging but is probably an hour drive away.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [Kentcart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crystal Mountain resort is 20 min. Bet lots stay there.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackattack wrote:
Crystal Mountain resort is 20 min. Bet lots stay there.

There are two small hotels in Frankfort itself and a few places in Beluah too (10 minute drive). I want to say there’s a Super 8 just outside of town too. But yeah, Crystal Mountain is super nice. A bit pricy, but probably ideal.

The swim won’t be a problem with waves at all. Being that late in the season, the water shouldn’t be super cold either (a problem for July and even August races in Lake Michigan).

The bike course will likely be hilly, but super scenic. Really beautiful back roads in that area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race was amazing last year,however the new date doesn't work for me. So I thought Steelhead, but I am registered for Coast to Coast that Saturday (200+ gravel race). None of the other options work either. So now I'm screwed.

Quote | Reply
I’m really looking forward to this course. The real question is has there ever been an IM 70.3 hosted by a smaller “city”? I think the local A&W might be a pretty crowded place. Racers/families should be willing to trade for a lack of “amenities” available at many other venues. Given multiple factors I’m curious how many people end up on the start list.

Ben McMurray
Northern Michigan Small Farm Venture ---> http://facebook.com/hillvalleymi [/size]

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [Mc B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just taking the automatic deferral. We loved it the last time we were up there for 70.3 Traverse City. Great place for a late summer vacation. Whiskey, Wine, Pie, Cider.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My GF said they should move it to Hell Michigan.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - date change is annoying. We host a kids triathlon that Saturday and have an official “team race” at our local duathlon that Sunday. Now folks have to choose.

I think it will be a fun location and I’m sure I’ll do it in the next few years. I also respect that they had the persistence to find a welcoming venue. Still, that date complicates things.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

jaretj,
Years ago - and I mean like... 1998 - there was an XTERRA just outside of Ann Arbor and we swam, maybe in Portage Lake. The bike course went right through Hell and that was a good laugh for the non-locals.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not that far away from Hell and have ridden through it several times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I'm not that far away from Hell and have ridden through it several times.

Love POTO trail. It's an ass kicker.

Quote | Reply
We ended up snagging a place in Empire once the location was announced.

That said, I am very curious about both the run and the bike...for TC we has some M22 access but that was south of Empire.

I'd be curious what the likelihood of heading up M22 to the Sleep Bear Dunes and possibly riding the M22 Challenge bike course? Would/could we run around crystal lake?

Anyone local to the area have any thoughts...?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [Kentcart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another nice place to stay just North of Empire is the Homestead resort, its about 45 minutes away from Frankfort.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [amazingtoddo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the race is in Frankfort proper it would probably be a bit far to include the challenge M22 course. I think that is around the Glen lakes. It is 30 miles between Frankfort and Glen Arbor along M22. I ride it from GA to Frankfort every summer on an annual trip.

Beautiful route and roads, and everything around Frankfort would be awesome for a bike course.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Michigan [amazingtoddo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amazingtoddo wrote:
We ended up snagging a place in Empire once the location was announced.

That said, I am very curious about both the run and the bike...for TC we has some M22 access but that was south of Empire.

I'd be curious what the likelihood of heading up M22 to the Sleep Bear Dunes and possibly riding the M22 Challenge bike course? Would/could we run around crystal lake?

Anyone local to the area have any thoughts...?

In terms of the run, there's a path that starts/ends in downtown Frankfort and heads toward Crystal Lake. It hits the area of the lake in about 6 miles, so it's possible there will be an out and back on that path. That said, the path isn't super wide. But it would be an easy to manage run course.

In terms of the bike, there's a chance it could loop around Crystal Lake (head out M-115 to 31 .. and then find your way back to M-22).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

There's a killer road race in Hell. It's a 10-miler with loads of hills and they do it right in the hottest part of the year. Super fun race (at least it was about 15-20 years ago when I had young legs).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't do the new date and already have a race on Steelhead date. They basically said tough shit. So not taking taking a different approach. Sucks.