Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman 70.3 Blue Ridge - Road Bike vs Tri Bike
Quote | Reply
Doing ironman 70.3 blue ridge in June and looking for some guidance on whether to use the road bike or Tri bike. Total Elevation on the bike is 4300 ft with the big Climb being 1600 ft over 4.5 miles. Is the Tri bike still a benefit for this course profile?

https://ridewithgps.com/...kylWv5pM8zZyiVr7Sd7U
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Blue Ridge - Road Bike vs Tri Bike [gbc0005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think the consensus here is to always go tri bike...unless it is a super hilly or super technical course...in which case the tri bike still gets some favorable consideration.
Last edited by: d00d: Apr 27, 21 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TL;DR - Road bike with extensions if you have the easy option; TT bike if you can practice similar climbs and descents in advance.

That course is in the ballpark of Nice WC 2019. The consensus opinion I gathered from that course was ride a road bike with extensions. The winner had a road bike with extensions. I rode a tri bike with 90/disc wheels. I was one of the few with a rear disc and in the minority on a TT bike.

A TT bike will be a disadvantage in two major areas: 1) the climb where the position, even on the base bar, is not as efficient and comfortable as a road bike; and 2) the descent if it has switchbacks.

I rode a similar, technical mountain climb several times in preparation for that race. I was fine, but I probably would have been faster on my road bike with extensions. I just did not feel like reconfiguring my road bike and buying the parts to do a (likely) one-time adaptation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT bike easily. All of the descending is on the BRP which is not technical at all. You'll barely have to use your brakes on the main descent (which is good since a freight train brakes better than my P4). Thankfully ironman hasn't banned super tucking (to my knowledge) as the Parkway with closed roads is one of the best places to absolutely send it on a descent.

Looks like mostly rollers aside from the main climb and descent without much technicality, so you'll still be spending a lot of time in aero. Haven't done the climb up to the parkway but looks like it's pretty much a consistent 6-7%, so nothing that should be too hard even with TT bike gearing.
Quote Reply