Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman 2021
Quote | Reply
Any idea what the 2020 FUBAR is going to mean for 2021? I’ve taken this lost season to work on my weight and get things I’ve been putting off like a smart trainer.

Barring any injury or financial setbacks I’m planning on doing an Ironman for 2021. I can only imagine it might be hard to come by slots in certain races. Any opinions on it? Just seeing what the rest of the Tri community is thinking.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 2021 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think 2020 is going to be kablooey as far as racing is concerned barring a mass availability vaccine or major treatment happening in the next couple of months (which is a practical impossibility).

So that means 2021 races are going to be mostly filled with 2020 deferments. Which could make races hard to get into. My guess is the majority of athletes have taken deferments already for the races that have already been canceled or rescheduled and are not taking the option for the rescheduled date or for a slot into another race later in the year. Just my hunch from what I’ve read here and on social media. Four of the six races I was registered for this year have already been canceled/rescheduled. I took 2021 deferments for two and will do the same for the other two when offered as they both were canceled this week.

On the flip side, travel and financial concerns could certainly factor into race choices next year so race demographics could end up being more regional than national/international. So people willing to travel and spend money might have an easier go getting an entry.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 23, 20 6:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
I’ve taken this lost season to work on my weight and get things I’ve been putting off like a smart trainer....

This is the correct strategy.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 2021 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
I’ve taken this lost season to work on my weight and get things I’ve been putting off like a smart trainer....

Thank you. My thought was there won’t be any racing and if there is lack of access to training facilities is going to make any swim absolute garbage. So short term sacrifices for long term gains.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious to know how many of the qualified went for February or deferred to October. Thought about February getting a condo not an issue but the cancellation was if Ironman can not go. Some condos no cancellation others you Have cancel 60 before arrival or lose everything . I deferred to October
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 2021 [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm *planning* to go in Feb . . . Iconic! Hope it works out!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s interesting about race entries for next year. I bet you might be right that people may rush to get into events.

Fortunately I only had a few sprint races, all part of a series, planned this year and I can’t imagine those happening even through they are small. I won’t go regardless.

This was a big gravel bike racing year for me. I’ve definitely mentally written off any goals related to racing this year. I got into DK and they rescheduled for September but I deferred. I have other races in the fall but not sure those will happen even smaller ones.

In the meantime I’m doing more strength training. I still do a couple of hard trainer rides during the week but keep weekends fun

I’m definitely curious what will happen next year especially if a vaccine takes time to become widely available.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 2021 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to get back to my platoon leading weight during this process. Wondering if my run time comes back lol.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

Thank you. My thought was there won’t be any racing and if there is lack of access to training facilities is going to make any swim absolute garbage. So short term sacrifices for long term gains.
[/quote]
Same on the swim. For the bike and run, we have a pretty unique opportunity to stack build cycles on top of each other without needing to taper for races. I'm at the highest FTP I've ever had right now.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me too. I really want to do IM Canada next year, but the chances are slim to none that i'd get a spot with everyone more than likely deferring to 2021.

Work on losing weight, work on getting stronger & faster in all 3 disciplines and when I do get a spot i'll be in a great spot.
Quote Reply