Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman 140.6 in NYC
Quote | Reply

Would be interesting to see the course for this. What do you shutdown in NYC for the duration of the race?

"World Triathlon Corporation is close to bringing an Ironman race to New York City as it seeks to capitalize on the growth of endurance sports among financial professionals.
The group is in negotiations with city officials about staging its marquee event in Manhattan, said Steve Meckfessel, chief operating officer of World Triathlon, which owns and operates Ironman events."
http://www.bloomberg.com/...posed-nyc-event.html
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [gboulouk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

as it seeks to capitalize on the growth of endurance sports among financial professionals.

'nuff said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember,these days "an Ironman race"means anything from an Olymipc distance to a 70.3 to what we used to call " an Ironman" ...

Maybe by the time the race is comfirmed Ironman will have started hosting sprint distance Ironmans as well..

-----------
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: May 11, 11 4:59
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article specifically stated 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a marathon. I don't know how they could possible pull that off.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
The article specifically stated 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a marathon. I don't know how they could possible pull that off.

-----------------------

Laps around Central Park?

OR

2,500 Vasa swim trainers

2,500 Computrainers

2,500 Treadmills

and you are good to go...

----------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea how they could pull this off....in terms of bike route, the 5 borough ride starts in Financial District,and goes all over the place through all 5 boroughs ending on Staten Island and only comes in at 50miles! The disruption caused by shutting down enough roads to cover 112 miles would be insane.......how about 19 laps of central park???
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Marco1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the swim for the NYC Tri ridiculously fast because of the current? That is what I need for Ironman. A strong current and wetsuit legal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone taking over/under on the entry fee?

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, I'll play.

$650, +/- $25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would be pretty awesome. Anxious to see how they structure the bike route. As far as the entry...close to a $1000 maybe? Totally worth the cost in my opinion for a race like this.
Last edited by: 7summits: May 11, 11 5:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these guys can't even handle getting events right in depopulated areas like Mississippi and rural china and they think they can handle nyc?

oooookay!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gran fondo was able to organize 100 miles ride this past weekend, given most of it took part in nj but you could closed down henry hudson parkway going up north and get enough miles for a 56miles loop.
fast swim in hudson and marathon thru manthatan, queens and brooklyn. it's feasible....the price at least 750
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they could do it I would be in. What a great excuse to come over to NYC! Cant see it happening but would love it. I did Challenge Copenhagen last year and it was great to be and around a city for the race BUT Copenhagen is not NY and the number of roads closed would be a nightmare! or just leave the roads as they are and wipe out a whole generation of triathletes in one race. would still come.

http://longwaytogo-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Marco1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supposedly, the bike will be largely 9W and all of the areas we know so well north and west of the City.... The run would start on the NJ side of the Bridge, cross the Bridge and head down the Hudson Greenway. Don't know how they get 26.2 miles, but that's the gist.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [bryan913] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if it happens i think we can expect to see a new level of pricing for "Premier Events" or something similar and wouldnt be surprized to see pricing in or around the $1 000 mark...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [David in NY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the boat basin in Apline for T1? That's a fun climb to come up out of!! Then, you could just run up 9W to West Point or up into Bear Mt.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haole wrote:
gran fondo was able to organize 100 miles ride this past weekend, given most of it took part in nj but you could closed down henry hudson parkway going up north and get enough miles for a 56miles loop.
fast swim in hudson and marathon thru manthatan, queens and brooklyn. it's feasible....the price at least 750

Actually the bulk of the ride was in in rockland and orange counties in NY. It went through NJ to get there.

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. Can't see them pulling this off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NYPD does an amazing job at shutting down/opening roads. I've been there for to Independence Days, a Yankee parade and an event that I don't even know what it was.

They can shut a road in the blink of an eye. Very heavy handed in the process. The way they open things back up is simply stunning. It has to seen from above to be fully appreciated.

Yes, it would be crazy. None of the events I attended were 8-17 hours.

The vast majority of people using cars in Manhattan are Taxis or folks that don't live in Manhattan.

The bike route could weave all over the place, and if they made it point to point rolling closures could be done.

Or they could have an open course and everyone rides fixies. You could also carry your T2 gear with you in a messenger bag.