Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman - radio silent?
Quote | Reply
Any insight as to what's going on with WTC and the recent silence? Covid 19 updates were pretty frequent on the website up to October 28th, but they've been quiet since with the recent cancellations.

https://www.ironman.com/updates

I was registered to race Galveston before they canceled 3 days prior to the race. I'm dying to race when its safe but pretty hard to justify supporting them the way they've continued to treat their athletes. I'm also re-scheduled to do Roth next year and the way they've treated their athletes with frequent communication, deferrals and refunds has been text book for the right way to handle things.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman - radio silent? [Phillysnake76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What exactly do you want them to say that would make you feel better? From the context of your post I gather that you are in the US. There is not another IM scheduled for the US until late March. There's no telling what the situation will be like then, especially in California.

If they were to say something, it's not exactly hard to predict what they would say given the way things have gone recently. Essentially they proceed as if the race is happening unless and until it is not. Sometimes they know far enough in advance to not surprise folks, sometimes they don't for reasons beyond their control. It sucks but it's the way things are right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman - radio silent? [Phillysnake76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what else there is to say?

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/news/ironman-will-not-host-any-more-us-events-in-2020/

“With COVID-19 infections on the rise around the United States, we are not comfortable hosting any further events in 2020,” said Andrew Messick, Ironman Group president and CEO. “While we remain confident that our Safe Return to Racing Guidelines will protect athletes, volunteers and staff, the public health environment at this moment is not conducive to any type of mass gatherings. We expect to be back in action for 2021 with events that follow guidelines and recommendations consistent with the expectations set by public health entities and our race communities.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman - radio silent? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Not sure what else there is to say?

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/news/ironman-will-not-host-any-more-us-events-in-2020/

“With COVID-19 infections on the rise around the United States, we are not comfortable hosting any further events in 2020,” said Andrew Messick, Ironman Group president and CEO. “While we remain confident that our Safe Return to Racing Guidelines will protect athletes, volunteers and staff, the public health environment at this moment is not conducive to any type of mass gatherings. We expect to be back in action for 2021 with events that follow guidelines and recommendations consistent with the expectations set by public health entities and our race communities.”

I'm pleased to read this, that Ironman is willing to cancel events due to C19 instead of relying on local authorities to make the call.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Nov 29, 20 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman - radio silent? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on all 3 replies. Nothing more to say this year, hopefully they are taking the time to plan out the next year or just getting a break. I can imagine their customer service department has been working overtime this year.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman - radio silent? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can imagine that most of their customer service department was let go.
Quote Reply