Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman ( 140.6) Bike Speed vs Half Ironman (70.3) Bike speed
Quote | Reply
Curious what you guys have found is the difference in your full ironman average bike speed vs half ironman bike speed. Obviously course and conditions would affect this, but given the same course and conditions, what is about the norm?

I found a large difference in mine last season, albeit different courses with completely different terrain.

IM Santa Rosa- 18.5 mph- this was a rolling/ hilly course. Racing in mid Zone 2
IM Indian wells- 21.1mph- this was a pretty flat course. Racing in low Zone 3
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman ( 140.6) Bike Speed vs Half Ironman (70.3) Bike speed [wishertdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably 10-15 extra watts (NP) between a half and a full... not idea what that translate into for speed (are people still looking at speed while racing ?!?)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman ( 140.6) Bike Speed vs Half Ironman (70.3) Bike speed [wishertdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is tough to answer as I have not done races where there is a 70.3 and full IM that I have raced. The power difference is easy to note but to understand the speed differential would require doing a 70.3 and full on the same course. One could likely use BBB to estimate the speed difference.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM 70.3 Elsinore 39.6 kph (24.6mph) 240w (400m elevation)
IM Hamburg 36 kph (22.4mph) 220w (650m elevation but windy)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally feel that power is better as a comparison than speed. It is a little more relevant if the IM and HIM happen to be on the same course. Courses are different and things like hills, wind, road surface quality, turns, temperature, etc. can change speed on any given day. I tend to aim for around 70% power in an IM and 82% in a HIM. I do have an example of the same course at Mont Tremblant: 2:18 for a half and 4:51 for a full are my best times and around those power %’s above. My best ever HIM bike was around 2:09 on a flat and fast course - on an IM equivalent I figure I’d be in the 4:30-4:35 range.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Jun 3, 20 3:34
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman ( 140.6) Bike Speed vs Half Ironman (70.3) Bike speed [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The same course thing is a good way to compare. For me it's weird because I'm a diesel and my HIM and IM watts aren't that much different. OTOH, if I'm "racing" either, I sometimes get a big split because I'll go harder on a HIM and easier on an IM for tactical purposes.

I'm guessing 2mph is typical though, irrespective of power, race dynamic, drafting due to race start format logistics, number of competitors, etc.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I want to estimate something like this I use the equation speedA/speedB = (powerA/powerB)^(1/2.7) ... should get you close, all else being equal. To answer your question directly I typically go ~24mph on a fast half and ~23mph on a fast full.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply