Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman "Deferral" Thought
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitchers - would love to hear other feedback on the current IM "deferral" strategy. I fully understand the organization can't simply refund everyone and stay in business so was thinking about options that could protect the organization while simultaneously more effectively serving the customers who regularly support them.

The current policy seems to be treating the events as a spectator event (like a concert), assuming that we can simply show up next year at the designated location and race. That might work for a concert, but it doesn't necessarily work for an event that involves 6+ months of focused training along with significant lifestyle adjustments for most people. What "fits" into an individual's life or priorities one year might not the following (I know this doesn't apply to many Slowtwitchers - so think about your neighbor who's doing their first one and had scheduled their work/personal lives to prepare in 2020 but can't necessarily do the same in 2021).

So here's my thought - would love to hear how y'all might enhance it in ways that would protect IM but also respect the lives of participants:

1 - Continue the "no refund" policy BUT

2 - Instead of assuming everyone who'd planned to race in 2020 will want to pursue the same or similar events in 2021, demonstrate an understanding that the lives of the Ironman Community change from year to year. To allow for this, provide every 2020 registrant a "future race" token/code that must be utilized within 5 years (by 12/31/25) for a race of similar distance or less (ie, IM token could be used for 70.3)

3 - This is not a guaranteed slot for any single race - it's a payment credit. If the user doesn't register before the event of choice is full, they miss out. In other words, this isn't an automatic entry, it's a token for payment of equal value IF registering for an event before it sells out.

It seems this would serve everyone - IM and the community as a whole. It would show goodwill to participants and protect the financial interests of Ironman. Most likely, many well-intended athletes would never "cash in" their token. But those who do would have the opportunity to select and race based a timeline they select rather than being "forced" (use it or lose it) to do so in 2021.

Thoughts? Obviously this is all assuming we are racing in 2021. It's also not applicable to many here on the Slowtwitch forum who are always in racing shape and race every year.

Thanks all.
Last edited by: Ironcoop: Oct 15, 20 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman "Deferral" Thought [Ironcoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should have a transfer process whereby someone can sell their slot and for a $25 to $50 administrative fee, Ironman adjusts the registration information from one person to the other. Don't hold your breath on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like this idea, although I don't think it will happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also would prefer to have more flexibility in the deferral options offered to me.

I was registered for IM Santa Rosa this year which got delayed then cancelled. I chose the deferral to Couer D' Alene next June thinking it would have a higher probability of actually happening. Although at this point I wouldn't be surprised if there are many race cancellations well into 2021.

What I will probably end up doing is paying the $50 transfer fee and transfer my entry to Ironman California next October whenever they open registration. It will make things logistically easier for me. I can drive instead of fly and stay with my sister who lives nearby. It would be nice if they would waive the transfer fee, but I know they probably wont.

It would be nice to have the option to transfer to a race in 2022 or 2023 but I don't have high hopes they will allow that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the idea, but I think 5 years is an unnecessarily long time period for this. Maybe 2 years should be max period + if you happen to need more time having proof of extraordinary circumstances, hopefully they could still make an exception for you on a case by case basis.

Reason for shortening the time period is increase in uncertainty - in 5 years one or more of these things is much more likely to happen than in say 2 years: IM could fold completely or reduce scope drastically, climate change could force major changes in number and type of events held, laws affecting event permits could change significantly, and all sorts of other things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironcoop wrote:

2 - Instead of assuming everyone who'd planned to race in 2020 will want to pursue the same or similar events in 2021, demonstrate an understanding that the lives of the Ironman Community change from year to year. To allow for this, provide every 2020 registrant a "future race" token/code that must be utilized within 5 years (by 12/31/25) for a race of similar distance or less (ie, IM token could be used for 70.3)

I have been saying this all year. Just because you WERE going to race in 2020 doesn't mean you CAN race in 2021
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty much what Chicago Marathon did - with a three-year future option. I wasn't registered, but when friends shared it, I thought it was the most generous deferral I'd heard of so far. Lucky for them.

All registered participants for the 2020 Bank of America Chicago Marathon will be eligible to defer their place and entry fee to a future event (2021, 2022 or 2023).Participants who select this option will be required to claim their entry during the 2021, 2022 or 2023 event application window. An email will be sent to eligible participants when the application window is open. The email will include instructions on how to claim their complimentary guaranteed entry.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman "Deferral" Thought [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
I like the idea, but I think 5 years is an unnecessarily long time period for this. Maybe 2 years should be max period + if you happen to need more time having proof of extraordinary circumstances, hopefully they could still make an exception for you on a case by case basis.

Reason for shortening the time period is increase in uncertainty - in 5 years one or more of these things is much more likely to happen than in say 2 years: IM could fold completely or reduce scope drastically, climate change could force major changes in number and type of events held, laws affecting event permits could change significantly, and all sorts of other things.

We could have another pandemic in 5 years (assuming that we are over this by then)...........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The deferral credit idea is great, but since WTC has very little competition they will never agree to this.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman "Deferral" Thought [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't have any "Ironman distance" competition, but they have TONS of "how to invest my free time" competition. I love Ironman and the lifestyle. However, for the first time in 20 years after seeing how they're handling the deferral process in a way that seems inconsistent with a brand that cares about their customers, I've started thinking "do I really want to keep doing this?" Instead of investing $5k/year in a trio of races, travel and equipment, I might instead run a few marathons and take up hiking. Or buy a rooftop tent for my Jeep and do more of that with the same money, etc.

Hopefully they'll come around to something better than the current. Obviously everyone is stressed now, not knowing when "real" races will get back on track. Maybe once they start to see the finish line of this difficult time, they'll see opportunity to build on their current brand with an option that serves the customer without hurting their bottom line.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman "Deferral" Thought [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't want to go there, but yeah, who's to say we won't...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing to understand is that all these deferrals are a huge liability that they have to carry on their corporate balance sheet. What companies (and investors) want to see is predictability. Forcing everyone to use their deferral in 2021 (assuming there are races) means they can predict with a high level of accuracy when that liability will be off their balance sheet. Giving people 5 years to use their deferral basically means they have no way to forecast when that liability will be off the balance sheet. From a customer satisfaction perspective, I agree with what you're proposing. But for a company that has shown little interest in their customers' actual needs or wants I'm not at all surprised that they're handling things in the most financially expedient way possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman "Deferral" Thought [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While it is true that US GAAP rules require a company to carry forward liabilities on their books, I think WTC is a private company. Private investors look at things differently than investors in public companies. Their biggest issue is refinancing loans or getting new ones. The liabilities will affect that. But again, there is often times a lot of leeway when getting a corporate loan. The liability isn't the loss in revenue, but the expense to have participant A join the event without paying for that specific event. Even though events require a lot of volunteers, there's still a per-participant expense.

I would love a deferral to any event, even if it was only two years. I'm still disappointed that my selected deferral was cancelled and I move that new referral back to the race I originally chose.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Oceania gave competitors the option of a deferral to 2021 or a credit to any Ironman Oceania event in the next 3 years.
I took a deferral to 2021 for an IM and a credit for an Ultra race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with more flexible deferral being a better option for consumers. It would help me personally as well.

But I wouldn't try to analyze WTC business model from outside and find a compromise. My experience working in US companies shown they do have product managers/business analysts modeling all possible situations. They are usually not stupid and know very well what consumers want. But we can only see the final result of their work, not all the input parameters.

Some of the final results look suboptimal, like Ironman new website :)

My blind guess would be the biggest limiting factor of their decisions is low profit. You just cannot do good projects when you don't have fat resources to spend on small improvements. Every time you try to suggest an improvement - there is no budget for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOVE this idea! I'm sure I'm not the only athlete who has way too many races on her schedule for 2021 due to deferrals and cancellations from 2020. Having the ability to race all of the events across a time horizon that is actually doable would be fantastic. I'd be more than willing to pay something for the ability to defer to a year beyond 2021; just not an entirely new race fee.
Quote Reply