Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021
Quote | Reply
Article in this morning's Coeur d'Alene Press confirmed that IM and the local sports commission are asking the Cd'A City Council to approve a 140.6 race in 2021. As has been speculated in recent months, the race would happen every 3 years on a rotating basis with two other Western cities (St. George UT being the first). There would be 70.3 races in the in-between years. The race would take place in the traditional late June time slot. Moving the 140.6 to August in the past was not successful.

Read about it here:

https://www.cdapress.com/...iders_ironman_return
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Oct 11, 19 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright! so far I am 1 for 2 on my guesses on the matter!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the contract with Penticton stated Ironman couldn't put another race in that region within a certain time window so makes sense it has to be in June.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of people seem to love that race. Is the course really nice or is it just a nice location? Or both?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

I really hope your other guess was Lake Tahoe!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed the course and the location. I would sign up again in a heartbeat if it was in June!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
hadukla wrote:

I really hope your other guess was Lake Tahoe!

My other guess was Boulder, but I am much less confident about that

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love this race!!!! Personally, I like the idea of having more locations and rotate years....I think it keeps things fresh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! Late June is a much better than Late August. Generally cooler, more daylight, less likely to have air quality issues from forest fires.

I’ll likely sign up as soon as registration opens.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
A lot of people seem to love that race. Is the course really nice or is it just a nice location? Or both?

I did it in 2004 and 2014 and will be back there in 2021 hopefully. Would highly recommend it. Easy half hour drive from Spokane airport. Lots of hotels at reasonable prices. CdA is beautiful. Swim will probably be chilly. Bike course very hilly. Run course flat with much of it along lake, just gorgeous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:

I've not done the 140.6 but I did the 70.3 there a few years ago. I'd say it's both. The course is very nice, the location is gorgeous, and the locals all seemed very welcoming and genuinely happy to have the race there. The portion of the run course that went through the residential neighborhoods was just one massive BBQ block party. I'd definitely go back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a good venue. Nice little town and course in general. People seemed friendly and not that hard to get to. Similar kind of set up to the smaller lake town ironmans like lake placid, penticton, IMMT. I'd do it again. Nothing overly difficult about the course but enough of a mix that its not dead easy or hard. Weather seems can be hot or cold. The days I was there way back it went from a high of 55F one day to a high of 104F race day. So hard to know what to expect weather wise. I will say its dry heat and not that hard to race in vs some of the humid places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:

Both. Course is nice. Two loop swim in big, clear beautiful Lake Cd'A. Water in June is nippy...high 50s to low 60s. Bike course combines city riding through spectator-lined streets with stretches along the lake or up in the rolling hills. The hills aren't super steep, but there are some long ones. The run course winds through festive neighborhoods (lots of locals turn out to cheer) before a stretch of running along the lake. The run only has a couple of hills. Transition is in a very pretty treed city park. The "home stretch" to the finish line is down Sherman Avenue, the last block lined with grandstands filled with rabidly cheering spectators.

There is plenty of other stuff to do for families coming to the area, including swimming in area lakes playing in the magnificent McEuen Park (downtown...the run course cuts through McEuen) and Silverwood amusement park 20 miles to the north.

Many times over, Cd'A was voted best volunteers for any IM course. I have for many years been a volunteer or volunteer captain on the full and half IMs in Coeur d'Alene and I have found that the community's willingness to support the race is strong. In my opinion, the patience of the town was tested during the period when IM held two events every year...the 70.3 in June and the 140.6 in August.

As an athlete (I did the half in 2016 and will do it again next year) it's a fun race but the full Ironman is a truly electric event.
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Oct 11, 19 8:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:

I live in the area so I am a bit biased, but I would say both. Course wise the lake swim is a nice setting, a fair amount of room for spectators to watch. Other than the first mile, the bike course has very few turns - so no technical issues, you can just hammer away. The out and back along hwy 95 has some longer sustained climbs to keep things honest. The pavement is in pretty good (for a place with 4 seasons). Run course goes along the lake on a bike path for the most part.

The city and area itself is nice. CDA is a resort town, lots of other lakes nearby and surrounded by forests and some mountains. Very scenic area. While their is no airport in the city, the Spokane airport is just a 40 minute drive from the start line/transition

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my favorite race- I have done the full 8 times, but I am also biased because I go to the area often. I like the logistics of it- single transition in a large park right on the lake(no stupid shuttle between t1 and t2). The lake is a great warm weather destination anyway, the Spokane airport is an easy drive and you can get off the plane and be in your rental in less then 10 minutes, the late June date is great because it still allows some springtime outdoor training before it and you still have the rest of the summer to do whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No go for me due to that water temp. Brrrrrrrrr!

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If go back for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

How cold?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

How cold?

Water temps were in upper 50s to low 60s when the race was in June.

I’ve lived in TX and FL for the last 16+ years so no way I’m swimming in that either.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be thrilled with this arrangement. Growing up I always wanted my first IM to be CDA, and then they took it away when I became old enough.

It would be awesome to do the big race every few years, and then have the more manageable 70.3 in the others.

If this ends up happening I’ll probably actually get back into triathlon 🤷🏼‍♂️
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
mickison wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

How cold?

I’ve lived in TX and FL for the last 16+ years so no way I’m swimming in that either.

Brrrr. I’ve swam in low 60s. 50s. Hmmmm. I’d definitely need one of those neoprene swim caps.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
mickison wrote:

I live in the area so I am a bit biased, but I would say both. Course wise the lake swim is a nice setting, a fair amount of room for spectators to watch. Other than the first mile, the bike course has very few turns - so no technical issues, you can just hammer away. The out and back along hwy 95 has some longer sustained climbs to keep things honest. The pavement is in pretty good (for a place with 4 seasons). Run course goes along the lake on a bike path for the most part.

The city and area itself is nice. CDA is a resort town, lots of other lakes nearby and surrounded by forests and some mountains. Very scenic area. While their is no airport in the city, the Spokane airport is just a 40 minute drive from the start line/transition

The locals were great that year of the heat wave - everyone had their garden hoses turned on for the athletes all day long.

It's also a good place as it's drivable for the greater Seattle area. June option was nice with Penticton traditionally in August.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I think the contract with Penticton stated Ironman couldn't put another race in that region within a certain time window so makes sense it has to be in June.

I seem to recall that exclusivity thing only being specific to western Canadian races (i.e. no Whistler).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman, City of Coeur d'Alene negotiate bringing back 140.6 race in 2021 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

They're not exactly close to each other. Shortest drive is 250 miles.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
mickison wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

How cold?

Brrrr. I’ve swam in low 60s. 50s. Hmmmm. I’d definitely need one of those neoprene swim caps.

It was in the low to mid 60’s during CDA 70.3 in late June the two years I did it (2017 and 2019). It just kind of depends on how long of a winter we get and how late the snow melt is. I think 2008 and 2011 were the years where it was really cold (sub 60, people wearing neoprene)

Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next