Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!?
Quote | Reply
Just started the movie on Amazon prime.

Anybody watch this? Does it spotlight the elliptical?

I got blocked on Facebook for mentioning the elliptical, when I kept getting hit by ads from iron elliptical.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [fat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is actually included for free in the Amazon Prime Catalog, so yeah, I added it to the queue. Thanks for the recommendation. At the end of the day, he missed a day, and we skewered him. If the rest of it was legit, without drugs, without cheating, it is still a darn impressive feat. Even just the logistics and planning was crazy impressive. I enjoyed his appearance on Tom Bilyeu's Impact Theory as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to add it to my queue for my next bike workout but thought it would be better suited for the elliptical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened to his race series in the end?
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was more than a day. Didn't he do at least one bike leg on a spin bike and he definitely used IV's for recovery which is a WADA doping violation.

Edit: Also, I think people would have gone a lot easier on him if he did not claim a new world record. There are people that did more consecutive real IM's and by getting on a elliptical when his legs hurt or a spin bike when the weather was bad and by violating doping regulations he has displaced those great athletes who actually completed the events.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jun 21, 18 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure I could do a 4K swim 50 days straight in 50 different states. I might be able to ride 112 miles 50 days straight in 50 states (with the perfect saddle, bibs, fit, and shitton of training). But I damn sure couldn't run 26 miles 50 days in a row even if I had the support of all the IVs and PEDs known to man. Pretty amazing athlete feat. He can step in front of me at the start of any race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I think it was more than a day. Didn't he do at least one bike leg on a spin bike and he definitely used IV's for recovery which is a WADA doping violation.

Edit: Also, I think people would have gone a lot easier on him if he did not claim a new world record. There are people that did more consecutive real IM's and by getting on a elliptical when his legs hurt or a spin bike when the weather was bad and by violating doping regulations he has displaced those great athletes who actually completed the events.

I think it certainly is an amazing accomplishment, but what puts me off (and I'm sure others agree) is that he's tried to commercialize it and make it into a career with coaching/merch/etc. If he had done it clean it would have been only slightly obnoxious but given that he doped and used the elliptical, the whole thing just reeks of desperation.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

The USADA specifically states that IV fluid replacement isn't clinically indicated or substantiated by medical literature. So why don't they allow it? Because it helps in drug masking. I *think* the intent of the rule is like arresting Al Capone for tax evasion. You know the person is guilty but the only violation you can catch them on is taking an IV.

If you feel the choices are binary then IVs are not allowed and feel free to label him a drug cheat.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no evidence that he violated any other WADA rule than IV use, which are allowed only in the context of a hospitalization.

WADA believes that IV's have no benefit in recovery? There are drugs that are allowed in oral form that are not allowed in IV form I think. That's part of the Nike Oregon Project flap, is it not?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [johnald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnald wrote:
I was going to add it to my queue for my next bike workout but thought it would be better suited for the elliptical.

It's responses like this that encourage me to keep coming back

---
You'e opinion is only as good as your signature line
-Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Directly from the USADA:

WADA has justified the inclusion of IV infusions on the Prohibited List given the intent of some athletes to manipulate their plasma volume levels in order to mask the use of a prohibited substance

Directly from the USADA:

it must be clearly stated that the use of IV fluid replacement following exercise to correct mild rehydration or help speed recovery is not clinically indicated nor substantiated by the medical literature.

Further:

IV infusions and/or injections of more than 100mL per 12 hour period are prohibited at all times, both in- and out-of-competition unless the athlete has applied for and been granted a Therapeutic Use Exemption

The only reason I bring up the rule is because do you actually have proof he violated the WADA rule? Or are you just assuming he infused more than 100mL per 12 hours? Your statement on the matter was unequivocal.

(you and I have the same *opinion* about whether he did infuse > 100mL And proof may exist that he did.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
It is actually included for free in the Amazon Prime Catalog, so yeah, I added it to the queue. Thanks for the recommendation. At the end of the day, he missed a day, and we skewered him. If the rest of it was legit, without drugs, without cheating, it is still a darn impressive feat. Even just the logistics and planning was crazy impressive. I enjoyed his appearance on Tom Bilyeu's Impact Theory as well.

Its not just the elliptical, it was the running/biking indoors, using multiple IVs during and after each day (taking IV breaks during the race), drafting on the bike, the list goes on. If the IC had finished and called what he did an "athletic challenge" or a "fund raising event" nobody would have had an issue or cared. But when he "finishes" by bending whatever rules possible and starts calling what he did a record and has all media and publicity calling it a record that's when it starts to piss people off. Theres people who hold the actual records that bust their ass to do so in the correct manner. The IC is more than welcome to come participate in actual ultra triathlon races under set rules but he doesn't. He decides to go off and make up his own rules and then change them just to finish and "claim" a record. Its the same as if the guy who did the sub 8 hour ironman indoors would have claimed an IM distance time record afterward.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Jun 21, 18 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

This right here. While what he did was impressive but he has taken away from those that have completed deca and triple-deca IM distance races. Both of which have actual rules, regulations, etc. Not made up rules or none at all. I have way more respect for anyone that completed those races than this guy.

I would have had more respect for the guy if he would have called it quits the day he couldn't run and decided to go the elliptical route because he didn't want to tarnish others accomplishments. But what he showed us was that he was going to "complete" this thing no matter what the circumstances were or how he had to do it.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jun 21, 18 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember a photo of him with an IV that, if I recall correctly, looked like a liter. But I cannot find it. I found this account of him taking a break in the middle of the bike leg to get an IV. Less than 100mL of fluids would be extremely pointless so I would be willing to bet it was over 100mL.

Well last night I ran with the Iron Cowboy and I saw the light...the one we needed to run with in the colorless dark New Mexico sky.

I tried most of the day to find the location and ETA of the 5K Charity run; info on their FB pages was vague at best. However, thru postings from locals and sleuthing the web sights by you Kathy I found the intended location and ETA of 7PM.

They had got off to slow swim start in the AM and that kind of snowballed their timing and with his bike pit stop to IV hydrate and take a nap it was 9 before I got the heads up on FB that the start location changed and the run was underway.

Got to the caravan and there were maybe 20 people milling about. I was informed that his plan was for the Cowboy to do 5K repeats on the Bosque multi-use trail. Ideal for night running as it is straight and flat. James came trotting into camp and the place came alive. Fluids, strategies(they decided to go to 1 mile repeats), nutrition and vest with light projectors. A fresh entourage assembled and off we went. In our group was a mother and her 9 year old daughter, a guy who came down from Moab, UT and my wife and I.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This is my favorite pic. On a trainer taking an IV, killing 2 birds with one stone.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Jun 21, 18 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching this movie on prime did you pay extra for free? Cause to pay means this fraudman still is profiting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I agree and I think it's a shame that the elliptical and spin bike and whether using IVs should have resulted in USADA swooping down on him are all people now talk about when his name is mentioned.

The deca and triple-deca ironman people are butthurt that he didn't follow precise regulations of their insanely niche ultra-triathlon sport, but the fact is the guy did Ironman distance exercise for 50 straight days and included a 4th event they don't have to do: travel.

I think what IC did was narcissistic and pointless and stupid, but at least he did it, and it was impressive. Contrast that with the likes of Robert Young.

None of which changes the fact I have no desire to watch some stupid documentary about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

The deca and triple-deca ironman people are butthurt that he didn't follow precise regulations of their insanely niche ultra-triathlon sport

Yes because actually covering the distances, not taking IVs and not using an elliptical are super precise regulations which seem unreasonable.

Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel for you, man. You've been one-upped and it hurts.

Who did he cheat? He wasn't in a race with anyone. He didn't break any rules. You're trying to negate his accomplishment by applying the rules that applied to your accomplishments to his. If he had Robert Young'ed it or Dane Rauschenberg'ed it and took naps in an RV while claiming to conquer superhuman feats, then I'd be appropriately unimpressed and more than happy to pile on the fraud/cheater train.

Whether he did 50 x 2.4/112/26.2/travel or 48 + 2 asterisked ones is immaterial to my opinion of his accomplishment. What he accomplished is extraordinarily impressive regardless of whether it's 50xIM replicas or 48 with 2 almosts. Guys like you saying "yeah, but USADA" and "yeah, but elliptical" come across as kinda pathetic in my mind.

And, keep in mind, I think the whole endeavor was selfish and ridiculous and I don't like the attention-seeking and world-record boasting and documentary aspect of IC. But, I can keep an open enough mind to realize that the fact that he did a marathon on an elliptical (try that someday and tell me how it goes) vs on the road is immaterial in the scope of the overall accomplishment.

....and checking back out of slowtwitch again......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
I feel for you, man. You've been one-upped and it hurts.

Who did he cheat? He wasn't in a race with anyone. He didn't break any rules. You're trying to negate his accomplishment by applying the rules that applied to your accomplishments to his. If he had Robert Young'ed it or Dane Rauschenberg'ed it and took naps in an RV while claiming to conquer superhuman feats, then I'd be appropriately unimpressed and more than happy to pile on the fraud/cheater train.

Whether he did 50 x 2.4/112/26.2/travel or 48 + 2 asterisked ones is immaterial to my opinion of his accomplishment. What he accomplished is extraordinarily impressive regardless of whether it's 50xIM replicas or 48 with 2 almosts. Guys like you saying "yeah, but USADA" and "yeah, but elliptical" come across as kinda pathetic in my mind.

And, keep in mind, I think the whole endeavor was selfish and ridiculous and I don't like the attention-seeking and world-record boasting and documentary aspect of IC. But, I can keep an open enough mind to realize that the fact that he did a marathon on an elliptical (try that someday and tell me how it goes) vs on the road is immaterial in the scope of the overall accomplishment.

....and checking back out of slowtwitch again......

He got in Guinness book of world records with this sham..
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
He got in Guinness book of world records with this sham..

Yeah, that's stupid. But, who cares. Guinness is a for-profit sham where all you have to do to get in is pay and come up with something ridiculous that no one else has thought to do. You think anybody other than the certificate holder cares when it comes to these niche "records"? Surely there's easier ways to get that certificate than what IC did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about his whole scam about raising money for the Jaime Oliver foundation? They kept saying g it wasn't about records it was about helping the kids. He lifted the Jaime Oliver graphics and photo off their website and put it into his own on the donation page. When you clicked on the donate button you went to a new page and there was small print about the money going to the iron cowboy foundation. But it turned out that foundation was fictional- it did not exist and the Jaime Oliver foundation had never heard of him.

What was he going g to do if no one noticed any of that? Where was that money going? Where did it go? Since he did not have a 501(c)3 did he pay the taxes he owed on it?

The dude is a total sketchy scam artist.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I concur with you there. I'd forgotten about the charity scam part of it.

I don't like the narcissism and the "world record" bs and the documentary and the self-serving aggrandizement. And, of course, the deception that this was somehow about charity when obviously it was all about him. I'm sure the dude is likely a selfish piece of work.

But, I can still appreciate the magnitude of what he did, and the fact he resorted to an elliptical one day and used IVs alter that only negligibly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
What about his whole scam about raising money for the Jaime Oliver foundation? They kept saying g it wasn't about records it was about helping the kids. He lifted the Jaime Oliver graphics and photo off their website and put it into his own on the donation page. When you clicked on the donate button you went to a new page and there was small print about the money going to the iron cowboy foundation. But it turned out that foundation was fictional- it did not exist and the Jaime Oliver foundation had never heard of him.

What was he going g to do if no one noticed any of that? Where was that money going? Where did it go? Since he did not have a 501(c)3 did he pay the taxes he owed on it?

The dude is a total sketchy scam artist.

Jeebus. That is not the half of it. The story going around Utah is he was unemployed and instead of getting another job, he moved his family to a parent's house and put them on government assistance. Meanwhile he ran a charity to help African children and tried to gain fame by racing twenty something Ironmans in a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

But, I can still appreciate the magnitude of what he did, and the fact he resorted to an elliptical one day and used IVs alter that only negligibly.

Id recommend going out and doing some of these "niche" races so that you can then come back and let us know how much doing this actually helped the IC. Maybe then youd understand how much of a fraud what he did is. Until then feel free to buy into the BS and believe that what he did had no real impact on the end result.

Quote Reply

Prev Next