Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Iron Cowboy on Netflix
Quote | Reply
Just noticed his doc is on Netflix. Today's viewing

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy on Netflix [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For us too...
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy on Netflix [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We lasted 30 minutes. You may have greater powers of endurance...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:

Yeah I started it about a year ago but went elliptical about 10 minutes in.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:

Only 20 mins in.

Still impressive what he did for the disabled kid.
The lack of sleep.
The helpers.

I'm still amazed he managed to do it

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of peoples names from here on the doco.

Some need to get on and shoot him a message and say well done.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

And why would they need to do that?

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy on Netflix [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m still impressed by this. Take away the Guinness record and any of that other nonsense, and he still completed 10+ hours of physically excruciating activity for 50 straight days with less than ideal recovery conditions.

I think the documentary was honest about the elliptical and IV’s, and they didn’t try to sugar coat it. He was fucking smashed 10 days in and it was pretty impressive that he was able to push through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
PJC wrote:

Because people were outright mean bastards about something that didn't effect them.

The bullied him over the money that was all accounted for.

And someone reported him to WADA? Seriously? There are some real wankers out there.

Why does something that someone else does, cause some people that it has absolutely nothing to do with have be be pricks? 99.9% of those online comments people would NEVER say to his face.

But they are all tough behind a keyboard.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

Because people were outright mean bastards about something that didn't effect them.

When you are fishing for fame you open yourself up to criticism. You cant expect to go public trying to achieve something then halfway through totally change the rules to better suit you and allow you a shot at finishing. And even worse when you finish go public and start talking about records and achievements when you bent the rules just to finish.

Maybe you dont understand how much what he did actually helped. But i can tell you that taking days off by riding on a trainer, going a treadmill, taking multiple IVs a day, drafting, and the elliptical make a HUGE difference.

People wouldnt have cared as much about what he did if he didnt come out of this boasting about records and achievements. Call it a fundraising event, make up your rules, finish and then call it a day. Nobody cares, your event your rules.

As to the money i have no clue and dont care.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gimme a break. You're just butthurt that he got attention for 50 and you don't get attention for the little decas you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy on Netflix [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Gimme a break. You're just butthurt that he got attention for 50 and you don't get attention for the little decas you do.

Not butthurt at all. Just calling it what it is. Its very easy to claim all sorts of things when youre not racing anyone and making up your own rules.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Just noticed his doc is on Netflix. Today's viewing

Very hard pass
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched it last night, even if you don’t like some of the approaches he took (personally have no issues with the iv’s and the elyptical was probably bad advice - I certainly would have been able to make a correct judgement call in that condition) is really impressive to see what someone can achieve when the refuse to give in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IC is a glory hound and I don't respect that. But I do respect what he accomplished, even if the elliptical and IV give critics ammunition to minimize it.

What I don't respect are the glory hounds who also blatantly cheat at their glorious accomplishments. Robert Young claiming to set a record running across the country. Dane Rauschenberg taking an RV whilst claiming to have run a 202 mile relay solo. Dare I say, Frank Meza and his record-setting marathons. There's lots of narcissists out there who use ridiculous endurance achievements to satiate their needs for glory and IC definitely qualifies here. But, I can at least respect what IC accomplished, his motives aside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
chuy wrote:
PJC wrote:

The bullied him over the money that was all accounted for.

And someone reported him to WADA? Seriously? There are some real wankers out there.

Why does something that someone else does, cause some people that it has absolutely nothing to do with have be be pricks? 99.9% of those online comments people would NEVER say to his face.

But they are all tough behind a keyboard.

They were honest in the documentary though about the money, it wasn't accounted for until there was social pressure. Would he have actually delivered a check to that charity? Seems he was pretty stand up about it after a couple of days and got it taken care of. But in the same vein, everyone hammered Horner for faking her stuff but the fundraising link was through a legit charity crowdfunding website. Or, perhaps when she got hammered for the crowdfunding piece it was more a response to this. I don't know.

I'll be honest though, I don't know how his doctor didn't make him take 6 months off after that.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
IC is a glory hound and I don't respect that. But I do respect what he accomplished, even if the elliptical and IV give critics ammunition to minimize it.

What I don't respect are the glory hounds who also blatantly cheat at their glorious accomplishments. Robert Young claiming to set a record running across the country. Dane Rauschenberg taking an RV whilst claiming to have run a 202 mile relay solo. Dare I say, Frank Meza and his record-setting marathons. There's lots of narcissists out there who use ridiculous endurance achievements to satiate their needs for glory and IC definitely qualifies here. But, I can at least respect what IC accomplished, his motives aside.

Agreed.

He "watered it down" a bit, but it was still impressive as hell, even in that somewhat reduced form.
Just the logistics alone were nearly impossible.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can give a thumbs down for the movie on Netflix :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

I think you will find that very few people are saying what he did wasn't an amazing physical achievement that is still unmatched.I don't know a single person in the Ultra-tri community that is not very impressed by what he did physically.It was the way he went about it that had many of us questioning his motives.The financial misrepresentation was real and has been glossed over.As was the dubious connection with the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation.It was an ST'er who did the investigation into that side of it and that was covered in the old thread from 2013.
James was told that he would be welcome to come and compete in any of the USA Ultra Tri events but has not taken the opportunity to do so and that is fine.All good.
Since the 50.50.50 there are now a more than a few guys around the world who are in the same boat as James and they do these extreme ultra triathlon challenges to promote their various agendas,be them coaching or motivational speaking, publishing etc. Some are associated with legitimate events and some are made up challenges,these days it doesn't seem to matter. Hell,in the last few years I know 6 people who entered the Guinness Book for random athletic achievments.It has become a quirky subset of the world of Ultra's and most folks don't raise an eyebrow about any of these stunts anymore.
Everyone has moved on now and as the years pass it is the sheer magnitude of the 50.50.50 challenge that will be remembered as everyone wants to find something to be inspired by.The less honourable side of it will fade until it is no longer remembered.That is usually the way these things play out.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy on Netflix [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched it on my ride this morning. Personally, I found what he did was impressive as hell. I'm sure this has been discussed here (but this his thing was new to me), but I think he faltered when he said he was going to do 50 "Ironmans" in 50 days. I was really taken aback every time they used that term in the movie. That's a brand name. I couldn't figure out the logistics there, is there even an Ironman race in every state, until I saw him jump into a pool in Hawaii at midnight. Then the lightbulb went off. I really wanted them to stop saying "Ironman," and couldn't help wondering if someone had to pay WTC a nickle every time they said it. But I'm a lawyer.

All that said, take your IVs (assuming there was nothing else in there) use your elliptical, draft... it's an impressive feat of physicality regardless. He just would have been better off calling it something else. Maybe the "Iron Challenge" then retroactively allowing others to try it too, same as the first Ironman.

He really should have skipped the elliptical though. While it doesn't detract from the accomplishment in my mind, it definitely hurts the claim he was making.

Personally I thought the documentary was, while not totally unbiased, fairly even-handed for a piece that could have been much more skewed in his favor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
PJC wrote:

When you are fishing for fame you open yourself up to criticism. You cant expect to go public trying to achieve something then halfway through totally change the rules to better suit you and allow you a shot at finishing. And even worse when you finish go public and start talking about records and achievements when you bent the rules just to finish.

Maybe you dont understand how much what he did actually helped. But i can tell you that taking days off by riding on a trainer, going a treadmill, taking multiple IVs a day, drafting, and the elliptical make a HUGE difference.

People wouldnt have cared as much about what he did if he didnt come out of this boasting about records and achievements. Call it a fundraising event, make up your rules, finish and then call it a day. Nobody cares, your event your rules.

Riding 112 miles on a trainer is a day off? Speaking as someone who has done MANY 5 hr rides inside on a trainer, riding outside is much much easier both physically and especially mentally.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy on Netflix [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
chuy wrote:
PJC wrote:

Riding 112 miles on a trainer is a day off? Speaking as someone who has done MANY 5 hr rides inside on a trainer, riding outside is much much easier both physically and especially mentally.

It is a day off. When youre riding your bike that much on consecutive days your back starts to hurt, your hands may he going numb, you may be developing shermers neck. Riding outside you have to be 100% focused. Riding on a trainer is a day off. You get to sit up, relax, not pay attention, sit in a comfortable way not worrying about anything. You can stretch, stop, turn your head and not look, etc. You just need to turn the pedals. Events like this you dont care about boredom. You care about preserving your body to keep going. And riding indoors does exactly this.

Last edited by: chuy: Jul 23, 19 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy on Netflix [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
chuy wrote:
PJC wrote:

It is interesting that you speak as if Chuy has never done any long trainer rides or done any multiple one-a-day iron's and doesn't know what he is taking about.
I would suggest that if you spoke as someone who has either done a one-a-day multi iron race,crewed for one or witnessed one your opinion would change.When you are fatigued both mentally and physically after multiple days, being able to turn your brain off and set any resistance you want while getting out of the elements makes life much easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I though it was interesting. It's a well done documentary, definitely wasn't done on the cheap. Not insinuating anything at all, but I was impressed at how much muscle he kept after all that endurance work. Another documentary in the same vein on Netflix is "Kim Swims." Like Iron Cowboy a good, but not great documentary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People bully other people because they think whatever they are doing will eventually affect them. David bullies Steve for wearing pink because if he doesn't put a stop to it, then David might have to wear pink someday too. THEN WHAT WOULD PEOPLE THINK OF DAVID???? Errrmerr gerrrd.

But seriously, that's the actual subconscious logic.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next