Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii
Quote | Reply
So back in September I was about to pull the trigger on the non championship St. George 140.6 in May2022.

Then it closes to general registration and becomes a deferred 2021 worlds so I could not enter it!

So then I was looking towards 140.6 races in 2022 that I can drive to for my first Ironman since 2015. Before I knew it Placid sold out and so decided to wait for IM Tremblant 140.6 to open. In the mean time, as I only took 2 days vacation in both 2020 and 2022, I decided to make a vacation and go do Hawaii 70.3 and make it a big training camp in June to get ready for an IM in August (hopefully Tremblant).

Literally 4 days after I pay for Hawaii 70.3 I got an invite from Ironman to race at St. George 140.6 WC. This was my original target when it was not a WC!!!

Ironman is giving invites to those athletes who did 20 Ironmans in a span of 10 years (I am not sure what span they used for me). I have done 31 but done none in 7 years.

So in any case. right after I made big plans to go to Hawaii in June, Ironman extends invites to people like me that gets me to the start line of the IM I was planning to do anyway. But now my heart is set on going to Hawaii in June for a nice vacation with a race.

I don't know St. George that well, and not sure going there in May matches Hawaii in June for a vacation

I don't think I have the time given my work life for two trips in two months and I am not sure I have the recovery ability at 56 to do all of this like I used to as I have not done 140.6 for 7 years and St. George is a crazy tough course.

But I would like to do my first IM in 7 years, so this entire thing is tempting (also getting ready in Canadian winter is not easy....I have done it previously for IM South Africa and IM Texas but I have more responsibilities in work life these days than I used to). The final wrinkle is I have Canadian Masters nationals swimming championships 2 weeks after St. George worlds. Our team is defending national champions so would like to contribute with some points for the team.

Anyone one else here got the invite to 20x finishers?

If this was a May Kona worlds it would be a no brainer. As it stands I am leaning more towards a regular 70.3 in Hawaii than a 140.6 worlds in St. George.

So what is St. George as a vacation option in May vs Hawaii in June?
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote Hawaii. I was in Hawaii for vacation this year and St. George 70.3 WC. St. George is stunningly beautiful. And there is much to see in Zion. But Hawaii has much more.

Plus, they haven’t announced the course. If they reuse any of the 70.3 WC run course to make it WC-worthy, it will be insanely hard. Comically hard. (If they use the original course, it will be OK.)
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrote to IM tell them your situation ask them to defer the st George race to another race or to 2023

🥇 WINNING!
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually think that this St George race might be pretty cool - a (hopefully) once in a lifetime race that will be something that not many people have had a chance to do. St George is pretty awesome, one of my favorite places on the continental US. Is it Hawaii? No. Hardly anywhere is. But you've been there before!

Good luck - it's not the worst of decisions in life!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I received an invite as well. I’ve done 23 over 15 years.

The invite said it was being extended for racing with WTC for more than 10 years and completing more than 20 races. So not limited to a span of only 10 years.

I haven’t made a decision. Total cost with taxes and Active fee is $1210 so it’s a bit of a head scratcher. And I imagine that’s a few hundred more than the Tier 1 general entry fee when it first opened. I can appreciate the extra swag bag, exclusive welcome reception and private group mentor session (unsure exactly what that is) but I’m not sure if it’s worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had I just not pulled the trigger on Hawaii, I would have taken St. George 140.6 WC as that was my original target before it closed even with the higher entry fee (at the end of the day a travel away race, the race entry itself only changes the real cost by barely the cost of an extra day of hotels and food and rental car). But now, not sure. I do want to try a 140.6 again next year, so if I don't take this one, I just count on hoping that Tremblant opens and use my "away time/money" on Hawaii.

But it is a bit tempting to do a somewhat unique 140.6 in St. George. I have generally enjoyed the 70.3 WC events I have done given the mix of athletes from around the world. That's kind of interesting
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I can gather, now that IM St George in May 2022 has been designated the 2021 IM WC and closed to regular entrants, they are having difficulty filling the slots as a WC event. As such, they are casting the net wide to fill the WC participant list. I have a somewhat different story than yours, but it illustrates the point.

I KQ'ed for Kona 2020 in September 2019 (Chattanooga). As we all know, Covid led to postponements and Kona 2020 never took place. Fast forward to Sept 2021 when, immediately after announcing that the 2021 WC would be in St George in May 2022 and that the 2022 WC would take place in Kona on 6 and 8 Oct, I received (on 23 Sept) an email from IM asking me to choose which WC event I wanted. The vast majority of people chose Kona...this is not a surprise. But I chose St George. Why? Well, I planned to race IM Mallorca in Oct 2021 and next year would move up an age category and thought that between Mallorca and racing in a new age group next year, I would stand some chance of qualifying for Kona 2022.

IM Mallorca took place and I didn't do quite as well as I had hoped. Too bad for me. But two days ago I received an email from IM saying that I KQ'ed and offering me a slot for St George WC. I wrote back and said that I would accept the slot if I could move my current St George slot (earned in Chattanooga two years ago) to Kona 2022. In other words, I don't need two St. George slots. Not surprisingly, they said no.

What is a bit annoying (to me anyway) is that the IM website clearly stated that WC slots at the Mallorca event were for the Kona 2022 WC. I would have done the race anyway, but the message I am getting is that IM is having trouble filling slots for the St George WC event, partly because so many people, when offered the option that I received on 23 Sept, chose Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious about the number of qualifying spots for Oct 2022 Hawaii that are offered at IMSG. Can’t find that info.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the invite too. I am turning it down. I also could have taken the St. George WC slot from IM Texas and turned that down as well.

I have raced IM St. George in 2010, 2011. Different course than it is now, assuming.

St. George is epic, but Honu would be amazing. The whole thing. The epic course, the history of that race, the good caliber of athletes who race there gunning for a Kona slot at the only 70.3 that does that now. Similar to the old St. Croix and you loved that. When I saw you were planning on that trip it made me want to go as well.

They are trying to fill slots to WC St. George as so many would prefer Kona hands down. It won't have the international WC feel like you remember.

I would vote Honu.
Edit to add: reading your post again, Honu would work way better for the rest of what you have going on in your life anyway.
Last edited by: Upstaterun: Dec 2, 21 6:21
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
75. If you go to the 2022 WC site and slot allocation, you can see it there.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [CMac90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CMac90 wrote:
75. If you go to the 2022 WC site and slot allocation, you can see it there.

Actually it is 75 plus the standard AG winner getting a slot so 101. This I was told from an email response from WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too got the invite. Have done 37 races over 14 years. When I went to Active, and saw the total cost to register was $1210, my head began to explode. That price is too rich for that race. I raced IM St.G. in 2010 and 2012, and I would absolutely go do it again. Just not for $1210 entry.

I appreciate Ironman's thoughtful invite, but for that total cost, I could sign up for a full and also a 70.3 during the 2022 season.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$1200 for a race. Jesus....
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:
I got the invite too. I am turning it down. I also could have taken the St. George WC slot from IM Texas and turned that down as well.

I have raced IM St. George in 2010, 2011. Different course than it is now, assuming.

St. George is epic, but Honu would be amazing. The whole thing. The epic course, the history of that race, the good caliber of athletes who race there gunning for a Kona slot at the only 70.3 that does that now. Similar to the old St. Croix and you loved that. When I saw you were planning on that trip it made me want to go as well.

They are trying to fill slots to WC St. George as so many would prefer Kona hands down. It won't have the international WC feel like you remember.

I would vote Honu.
Edit to add: reading your post again, Honu would work way better for the rest of what you have going on in your life anyway.

I think Honu would be way better for my life in the next 6 months. I get the vacation and training camp effect at Honu. Harder at St. George 140.6. I literally know I can roll out of bed tomorrow and finish a 70.3 (it won't be pretty as I have only swam-ran in the last 3 months), but I can get it done. 140.6 is another animal and I think the self generated pressure of too many indoor trainer rides just to get ready for St. George would add a large layer of stress on life.

Whereas, I can just not bother biking now, swim-run mainly till Xmas and then Swim-XC ski-run Jan to March and then add biking back in during April and have plenty of time to be bike fit enough for Honu. Then use Honu trip to build more bike miles to launch into a proper summer season of riding for late summer IM (likely Tremblant).

Oh and I have St. George 70.3 worlds in October so going there anyway and that should feel like more of a vacation than when I have the pressure of a full 140.6. Its hard to really feel completely relaxed before 140.6 and certainly more right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taugen wrote:
I too got the invite. Have done 37 races over 14 years. When I went to Active, and saw the total cost to register was $1210, my head began to explode. That price is too rich for that race. I raced IM St.G. in 2010 and 2012, and I would absolutely go do it again. Just not for $1210 entry.

I appreciate Ironman's thoughtful invite, but for that total cost, I could sign up for a full and also a 70.3 during the 2022 season.

I'm glad someone posted this because I'd been wondering how many others had gotten this invite. I felt the same way though, I don't want to pay $1200 to do an Ironman in St. George. I raced there in 2010 and it's a gorgeous venue but definitely not worth $1200. Plus I hated the run. I don't mind some hills but that was a bit much.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

Plus, they haven’t announced the course. If they reuse any of the 70.3 WC run course to make it WC-worthy, it will be insanely hard. Comically hard. (If they use the original course, it will be OK.)

Course is on the website and has been for sometime. Now, will they change the course from the original planned one since it is now a WC race?

The original IM St. G run course (2010 and 2011) was essentially 2 x the 70.3 run course. 2012 was modified due to construction on red hills pkwy.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:
I got the invite too. I am turning it down. I also could have taken the St. George WC slot from IM Texas and turned that down as well.

I have raced IM St. George in 2010, 2011. Different course than it is now, assuming.

St. George is epic, but Honu would be amazing. The whole thing. The epic course, the history of that race, the good caliber of athletes who race there gunning for a Kona slot at the only 70.3 that does that now. Similar to the old St. Croix and you loved that. When I saw you were planning on that trip it made me want to go as well.

They are trying to fill slots to WC St. George as so many would prefer Kona hands down. It won't have the international WC feel like you remember.

I would vote Honu.
Edit to add: reading your post again, Honu would work way better for the rest of what you have going on in your life anyway.

I think Honu would be way better for my life in the next 6 months. I get the vacation and training camp effect at Honu. Harder at St. George 140.6. I literally know I can roll out of bed tomorrow and finish a 70.3 (it won't be pretty as I have only swam-ran in the last 3 months), but I can get it done. 140.6 is another animal and I think the self generated pressure of too many indoor trainer rides just to get ready for St. George would add a large layer of stress on life.

Whereas, I can just not bother biking now, swim-run mainly till Xmas and then Swim-XC ski-run Jan to March and then add biking back in during April and have plenty of time to be bike fit enough for Honu. Then use Honu trip to build more bike miles to launch into a proper summer season of riding for late summer IM (likely Tremblant).

Oh and I have St. George 70.3 worlds in October so going there anyway and that should feel like more of a vacation than when I have the pressure of a full 140.6. Its hard to really feel completely relaxed before 140.6 and certainly more right now.

In every post and reply that you have made here, it is pretty evident that your heart in in Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the invite too, but being in australia, the rules change daily. My state is okay for international travel (well its stopped For 2 weeks) but what’s the chances they lock us again? Highly likely.

I’m torn.

Aloha Peter

On behalf of Andrew Messick, President and Chief Executive Officer, and Diana Bertsch, Senior Vice President, World Championship Events, please find the attached invitation regarding the 2021 IRONMAN World Championship in St. George, Utah, May 7, 2022.
If you have any additional questions, please let me know. We look forward to seeing you in St. George!

Mahalo nui loa,

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Overdistance wrote:
Curious about the number of qualifying spots for Oct 2022 Hawaii that are offered at IMSG. Can’t find that info.

75- that was some where in the gibberish sent out to announce the change.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder what they will do for the folks that get a KQ at StG but already have a spot in Kona 2022...



IntenseOne wrote:
Overdistance wrote:
Curious about the number of qualifying spots for Oct 2022 Hawaii that are offered at IMSG. Can’t find that info.


75- that was some where in the gibberish sent out to announce the change.
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
Wonder what they will do for the folks that get a KQ at StG but already have a spot in Kona 2022...



IntenseOne wrote:
Overdistance wrote:
Curious about the number of qualifying spots for Oct 2022 Hawaii that are offered at IMSG. Can’t find that info.


75- that was some where in the gibberish sent out to announce the change.

My guess is that they will say "too bad...just because you already have a slot for Kona 2022, doesn't mean that you now get a slot for Kona 2023". I had a similar experience...I already had a KQ slot for St George and then recently qualified again. I asked if I could move one of the slots to Kona 2022 and IM said no. I understand their decision, but was irritated because in the recent race it was advertised as offering slots for Kona in Oct 2022 and then, after the race was over, they changed and offered the slots to St George instead (most certainly because they are already close to the participant limits for Kona and have quite a few races next year at which they need to give spots; and St George participation is lower than what IM wants).
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What race was that?


JasonGeorge wrote:
SwizBeats wrote:
Wonder what they will do for the folks that get a KQ at StG but already have a spot in Kona 2022...



IntenseOne wrote:
Overdistance wrote:
Curious about the number of qualifying spots for Oct 2022 Hawaii that are offered at IMSG. Can’t find that info.


75- that was some where in the gibberish sent out to announce the change.


My guess is that they will say "too bad...just because you already have a slot for Kona 2022, doesn't mean that you now get a slot for Kona 2023". I had a similar experience...I already had a KQ slot for St George and then recently qualified again. I asked if I could move one of the slots to Kona 2022 and IM said no. I understand their decision, but was irritated because in the recent race it was advertised as offering slots for Kona in Oct 2022 and then, after the race was over, they changed and offered the slots to St George instead (most certainly because they are already close to the participant limits for Kona and have quite a few races next year at which they need to give spots; and St George participation is lower than what IM wants).
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
What race was that?


JasonGeorge wrote:
SwizBeats wrote:
Wonder what they will do for the folks that get a KQ at StG but already have a spot in Kona 2022...



IntenseOne wrote:
Overdistance wrote:
Curious about the number of qualifying spots for Oct 2022 Hawaii that are offered at IMSG. Can’t find that info.


75- that was some where in the gibberish sent out to announce the change.


My guess is that they will say "too bad...just because you already have a slot for Kona 2022, doesn't mean that you now get a slot for Kona 2023". I had a similar experience...I already had a KQ slot for St George and then recently qualified again. I asked if I could move one of the slots to Kona 2022 and IM said no. I understand their decision, but was irritated because in the recent race it was advertised as offering slots for Kona in Oct 2022 and then, after the race was over, they changed and offered the slots to St George instead (most certainly because they are already close to the participant limits for Kona and have quite a few races next year at which they need to give spots; and St George participation is lower than what IM wants).

IM Mallorca, 17 October
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one thing that might make me lean more toward St. George is the possibility that this will be the only time the IM World Champs are held outside of Hawaii, so that would be pretty cool.

+ haven't you been to Hawaii a bunch of times already?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM Tremblant 2022 (third time's the charm?)
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan! wrote:
I received an invite as well. I’ve done 23 over 15 years.
The invite said it was being extended for racing with WTC for more than 10 years and completing more than 20 races. So not limited to a span of only 10 years.

I haven’t made a decision. Total cost with taxes and Active fee is $1210 so it’s a bit of a head scratcher. And I imagine that’s a few hundred more than the Tier 1 general entry fee when it first opened. I can appreciate the extra swag bag, exclusive welcome reception and private group mentor session (unsure exactly what that is) but I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

Almost $500 more, I paid 699 plus fees , $764 total when I registered back in May
Quote Reply

Prev Next