Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
The one thing that might make me lean more toward St. George is the possibility that this will be the only time the IM World Champs are held outside of Hawaii, so that would be pretty cool.

+ haven't you been to Hawaii a bunch of times already?

I have gone to Kona to race the 140.6 3x and gone there 2x on vacation. When I went for 140.6 I spent a lot of time exploring the island riding my bike, hikes, swims etc all over as I did not care that much about my results and was confident I could just "wing" the 140.6 and maybe only end up being 10-15 min slower rather than sitting in a condo tapering. But loved the vacation experience. One year I climbed Kaloko (5000ft climb) 3 days before race day.

Now I have not done a run beyond 21.1km in 7 years (I only started running again in 2019 after an "unable to walk-jog-run" hiatus 2016-17-18). So I kind of respect the 140.6 distance like a first timer when I do my first one again.

I know I can go to Hawaii 70.3 have a big training vacation and do the race (maybe be a bit slow) but get ready for a late summer IM (ideally with you in Tremblant). If I go to St. George, I think I stay cooped up in a hotel on taper in fear of what shakes out over 140.6 (respecting the distance). As I only had 2 days of vacation in 2020 and 2021, I kind of want to make this a vacation.

But as stupid as it may sound it is actually hard to say no to try to do a 140.6 WC.

I will be going back to St George in Oct for the 70.3 Worlds when I can get a vacation at the same time because it is "only" 70.3 and I am not fearing the 140.6 gorilla riding my back for the last 16 miles of the marathon shuffle. The older I get, that stupid gorilla goes from 800 lbs to 1000 lbs to 1200 lbs (maybe the same trajectory of Ironman event pricing lol).
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I opted for Kona in the fall as well. Anyone hear any good rumors about 2023? Anyone found a way to defer their slot another year?
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi @JasonGeorge

I raced Mallorca as well in oct.21.
I understand your frustration because the number of WC slots allocated to Ironman races in the sept-nov. 2021 period changed a number of times . However, I confirm Ironman Mallorca 2021 had 45 slots for Kona 2022 and 50 for St George WC 2021 (happening in May 2022). This info was available pre-race on this now expired link (unfortunately) : https://www.ironman.com/...ld-championship-slot

It was discussed at the end of this thread and in another one I can't find anymore : https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Mallorca_Mallorca_Mallorca_Race_Day_thread!_P7613477-3/

I feel like most of the Kona slots were accepted right away and most of the St George slots are turned down, as I ranked 24th in my AG in Mallorca and still got an invite for St George WC 2021

Cheers

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I know I can go to Hawaii 70.3 have a big training vacation and do the race (maybe be a bit slow) but get ready for a late summer IM (ideally with you in Tremblant). If I go to St. George, I think I stay cooped up in a hotel on taper in fear of what shakes out over 140.6 (respecting the distance). As I only had 2 days of vacation in 2020 and 2021, I kind of want to make this a vacation.

But as stupid as it may sound it is actually hard to say no to try to do a 140.6 WC.

Why not do both? I'm nowhere near the athlete you are, but I did the StG full in 2012 (the epic year) and did Honu (the Lance year) a few weeks later. Honu was extra windy that year, but StG prepared me well for it. It wasn't that difficult with a recent IM in the legs; maybe the opposite.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing you for Honu, especially since I aged up and am not in your AG this year - ha!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [ihersey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure I would be able to do St. George and recover on time for Honu given where I am at this stage in my exerciser career lol. But putting that aside, I think I would just have to sacrifice a lot in the winter in other parts of life to be sufficiently ready for something like St. George and too much time away from work and I am enjoying XC skiing during this current Ontario Canada lockdown since otherwise I am always at home (pools closed, office closed, restaurants closed, most socialization ended because everyone I know is trying to limit contacts). So more time in the house on trainer would just be demoralizing in many ways. When I get out on XC skis, I am outdoors and see a lot of skiers and am able to do group training that way with no lockdown limitations (currently all indoor sport is shut down).

Let's get together for some rides when I get to Kona. Plan is to be there May 26-June 6. I'll get back out to St. George for 70.3WC anyway. Now I have to just stop eating and work on the evaporation of the trademarked 55-59 bioprene layer around my gut that was non existent 10 years ago. I swear there is a six pack underneath the bioprene and although the bioprene is useful flotation in the no wetsuit swim, it is gonna feel like death having that heat insulation layer on the run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question, what do you normally do on vacation? I live in Las Vegas so I guess I’m a bit biased against St. George in terms of the geography and whatnot, but other than Snow Canyon, the waterfall near Gunlock, and Zion, there’s literally nothing to do in St. George.

Kona, however…I don’t think I need to tell anyone how amazing that island is. I saw a little turtle swimming around underneath me on the swim in 2012 and that’s still probably one of my top 3 race moments ever. Maybe I’m just easily amused :)
Quote Reply
Re: Invite to St. George 140.6WC but heart in Hawaii [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mainly swim and bike and if in an area with mountains, some hiking and hang out at beach or some place with nice scenery in a natural setting. Meaning, I am not really doing any big tapering hiding in a hotel room, but am out and about. That's a bit hard to do with a 140.6 on deck, but with a 70.3 I am willing to trade off performance on race day by several minutes for the overall experience. As an example before 70.3 Worlds in Austria, I was 5 hrs away in Bormio Italy, and riding up major climbs from the Giro. I climbed Stelvio pass three days before race day and the next day in Zell Am See rode the entire course and more. I did a 1 day taper and raced, but honestly I remember climbing Stelvio and Gavia more than the race. The race as it turns out was one of my best (I had a killer ride and held on during the run). It is a bit hard to do that with 140.6. If I go with my family, then I can do a 140.6 taper vacation and just hang out and do nothing so it depends on if its solo adventure or family there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev-

Yeah, most definitely a unique situation this year. I deferred to St George after IM Maryland was cancelled in 2020. I had multiple deferrals that year as I was at 11 IM finishes and wanted to get #12 for Legacy. Been close to KQ twice, with a 3rd at IMFL that was marred by wetsuit malfunction and a bike crash. So in 2020 was coming off an injury and registered for IM Texas (cxl race) then IM Santa Rosa (cxl) then IM Maryland (cxl) O for 3, probably like a bunch of other folks. Then injury healed, did IM Tulsa 2021, and KQ'd with a 3rd place as 2nd place had already KQ.

So then the whole OCT 21 Kona cxl, reschedule to FEB 22, then that reschedule. Now the opportunity to do 2 IMWC's in one year! Pretty cool, on one hand. And always wanted to do St George. But, IM Hawaii is something I've wanted to do since I read the Sports Illustrated article in '79, and between work, military obligations, family, etc, I think I only have time to train at IM level once in '22, if I'm looking to put out a quality effort. And I am, as I figure this may be my only shot at age 67 and a lifetime of active living and associated injuries catching up with me.

Relatedly, I had a deferral from 70.3 Gulf Coast, which is on the same day as IM St George this year. So I've decided to let St George go out of respect for my body, the distance, and the WC. I'm planning on 70.3 Oceanside in April, 70.3 Gulf Coast in May, a short break, then start my Kona build. It's better for my body, the family, and my wallet too. I think at that demand level it will be a fun tri year as well. Sprinkle in a few Olympics/sprints as part of my IM training cycle, and Viola! Fit for Kona.

Any thoughts/advice for a first time Kona? I think it's likely my AG will be going with the ladies on Thursday. That could be interesting...

Cheers,
Lanceman
Quote Reply

Prev Next