Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her?
Quote | Reply
ST Community,

On Monday I'm interviewing Daniela Ryf in front of a live audience for the LA Tri Club, and it'll be captured on video for global consumption as well. I've got a list of questions that I'm curious about, that I think others would like to hear, but I thought I'd throw it out to the fam here on ST and see what other thoughts come up.

Let me know,

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like fun

1. When your race plan does not seem to be going well - that do you do from a mental aspect to stay focused and try and win?

Tks Ian

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did she have an inkling when competing back in the ITU days that she would be as good as she is in Long Course Triathlon ?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does she remember passing me at Oceanside?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will she do the TT in Tokio 2020? And I second the "what she still wants to achieve" question
Last edited by: markko: Apr 14, 19 2:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

She must have had some key rivalries in her youth against other young athletes, so what alowed her to progress and eventually beat all of them. Was it support from parents? A good coaching system? Mental strength and determination?

Tubs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what do you do outside of tri to relax and enjoy life?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She started a Pro racing team "Birds" and on her website she is selling clothes, fuel, strength training and starting an AG Membership with benefits. Is she thinking about life after Triathlon and considering retiring on the top?
https://www.spiritmultisport.com/...ms/daniela-ryf-birds

@danielaryfbirds

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daniella seems remarkably unbeatable at this time. Does she think she still has room for an increased performance? If so, where? How?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The day after Oceanside I saw a woman running extremely fast, but it looked effortless. however her form was very odd, like she was very upright, nearly leaning back, head behind shoulders behind hips. Only later did I realize it was Daniela Ryf.

Now obviously, as a multi-time world champion, that form is working for her, but is it something that past coaches have tried to change? Does she do it intentionally or is it her natural running gait?

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her coach promotes heal striking and being upright instead of slightly leaning forward. He wrote an article specifically addressing her running style and says all Triathletes should run that way. I disagree but I'm not a world champion either.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would ask her how long does she expect her career at the top to last, and if she thinks she is shortening that time by crushing races, rather than just winning them? I'm pretty sure her coach had that in mind for Chrissie Wellington, but she chose the burn out route, to the longevity one. Is he guiding her also in that direction, and she just ignores his advice because if feels good to win by 20+ minutes??
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would ask her how long does she expect her career at the top to last, and if she thinks she is shortening that time by crushing races, rather than just winning them? I'm pretty sure her coach had that in mind for Chrissie Wellington, but she chose the burn out route, to the longevity one. Is he guiding her also in that direction, and she just ignores his advice because if feels good to win by 20+ minutes??

great question!
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

to add to this what would she value more ironman "world record " or winning again the 1million for the tripple crown?
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She already has the record, so I will go with another million she does not have
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask her about balance.

She seems to have no personal life. (don't ask it that way)

Ask her about balance. As in what does she do away from the sport when not swim/bike/run etc...

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I'm pretty sure her coach had that in mind for Chrissie Wellington, but she chose the burn out route, to the longevity one.

Those aren't the only two options. Maybe she just decided she was done. That's what she said. And her last race was a win, so it's not like the retirement was forced by inability to perform. I'd give her some credit over the spewage from her butt-hurt ex-coach. Yes, I'm sure he'd have liked to milked her as a cash cow for another 5-6 years. Tough shit.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 14, 19 16:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

I see the m dot has got you brainwashed lol.
For people that think that the " world" record is not brand owned Chrissie still has the fastest time in Roth

Another question would be if she goes for the record does she have sponsor bonuses for that?

I agree entirely with you monty but I think for her at this stage it's probably less about money. I think she lives very comfortably and is more driven becoming faster.and closing the gender gap.
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
monty wrote:

I see the m dot has got you brainwashed lol.
For people that think that the " world" record is not brand owned Chrissie still has the fastest time in Roth

Another question would be if she goes for the record does she have sponsor bonuses for that?

I agree entirely with you monty but I think for her at this stage it's probably less about money. I think she lives very comfortably and is more driven becoming faster.and closing the gender gap.

I think so too, she has said many times over that winning is not the motivator nor money, it's about finding the perfect race and seeing how she can push herself. Recent Babbitt interview in San Diego touched upon this as well
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Ask her about balance.

She seems to have no personal life. (don't ask it that way)

Ask her about balance. As in what does she do away from the sport when not swim/bike/run etc...

She'll obviously answer for herself.
But I seem to remember an interview with someone like Chrissie Wellington who said that Ryf is a machine who is only focused on triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask her about shoe, cleat and cleat position. I’ve seen her bikes at the felt booth over the years and in pics.

Basically I’ve seen her try everything from carbon slippers with mid foot SPD, to traditional sponsor stuff.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- What was the biggest shift in training or mindset she had to make when she started with Sutto and transitioned to her current level of awesomeness at IM distance?
- What's the biggest mistake she sees age-groupers make on race day?
- If she could go back a decade and talk to her younger self, what advice would she give her?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see the m dot has got you brainwashed lol. //

Too funny, WTC has me brainwashed, have you seen my posts over the past 15+years?? (-;

Of course I was talking about the Kona record, perhaps not clear enough. As for the world record, their isn't one. Of course people and organizations make shit up all the time, and WTC is allowed to call their records whatever they want, until they can't. But course records have some validity as long as their is an * to explain differences from year to year. To me, as long as you ride 112 and run 26.2 in the Kona heat, on that island, pretty much doesnt matter if you switched a road here or there. Overall conditions are what make the course fast or slow, we got to see that in spades last year, best one in 40...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May be too late to get in, but ask her if in her mind she is racing against the men or the women. And follow up with how it feels to chick some of the top tier men.

Jellyfish aside, in her A races, it seems like if she is racing the women, it's really her against the clock. Finding ways to challenge herself at this point must be hard.
Quote Reply

Prev Next