Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting article for those of us in COLD climates...
Quote | Reply
https://trainright.com/...E8b2ZYyZygfpHlhMJe94

"However, what we gathered in the lab on skiers was that even after a single week of training or racing in single digit temperatures all of the skiers in the study suffered a varying decrease in measures of expiratory volume (amount of air you can forcefully exhale), which could translate to a decrease in performance."
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article for those of us in COLD climates... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s interesting- thanks for sharing!

This does bring up other questions - how cold is too cold? Is 10F ok, 0F, -10F?

What about climates that get cold, but remain relatively humid (like Great Lakes region in the US)?

From personal experience it’s tough to do hard intervals/long runs when weather dips below 10F due to multiple layers of clothing required (especially when it’s windy). You are also likely to pull a mask over your face/mouth when it gets too cold (which I suspect slightly warms up the air that you inhale).

Further personally I have not noticed a dip in performance in winter/spring when I used to run exclusively outside (if anything - I race better due to weather being colder than in summer).
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article for those of us in COLD climates... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it, I mean look at all the cross country skiers that need to take Salbutamol. #kiddingnotkidding
Quote Reply