Very sad but not surprising

https://www.nytimes.com/...maternity-leave.html

Just Do It.

OK, not *THAT* it though. ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Nike Mother’s Day story [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Kara once said something to the effect of "NIKE is a great sponsor, unless you get hurt or want to have a baby"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its not just Nike, but they're the only running company name to put in the headline that will get people to read the article

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Nike Mother’s Day story [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be crazy - just not like that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

I recall not knowing how to write a "pregnancy pause" into athlete contracts back between 2008-2012, for the company where I handled athlete sponsorships. We didn't have an experience cadre of attorneys and experts to help us navigate, but the agents and I managed to create a favorable situation.
Nike certainly has staff and resources to put their money where their media is, so to speak, and several orders of magnitude larger budget than ours.

Women are staying competitive into their 40's, and don't need or want to wait until after their careers are finished to continue racing at a high level.
I can't think of an IM pro woman who hasn't come back stronger after starting her family. I'm not as informed about ITU athletes, so please chime in here...
That this issue has headlined in the NYT will hopefully improve the situation for all athletes who want to start families during their careers.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

These stories must be told. I hate that they are true. Now that the public is informed, it will be more difficult for companies to enforce archaic legal clauses and easier to negotiate them out in the first place.

Alysia Montaño is a hero!
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Nike Mother’s Day story [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, and as others said, this is not just Nike and not limited to running

SBRinSD wrote:

These stories must be told. I hate that they are true. Now that the public is informed, it will be more difficult for companies to enforce archaic legal clauses and easier to negotiate them out in the first place.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:

x1000

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike's response: https://www.msn.com/...m2AS?ocid=spartanntp

"Nike is proud to sponsor thousands of female athletes. As is common practice in our industry, our agreements do include performance-based payment reductions. Historically, a few female athletes had performance based reductions applied. We recognized that there was inconsistency in our approach across different sports and in 2018 we standardized our approach across all sports so that no female athlete is penalized financially for pregnancy."
I'm not buying it

Like someone said: "They wouldn't do this shit to Serena"

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Nike Mother’s Day story [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not buying it either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll wait for Allyson Felix to chime in before judging whether change happened at Nike. Has Asics responded? has any other company responded saying they've either changed their contracts or already had maternity leave in their contracts?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Nike Mother’s Day story [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://jezebel.com/...-mentalit-1834749658

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclosure: I work for Nike in the technology sector.

Nike has done plenty of things wrong in the past (and it probably doing some things wrong right now), but I've never worked at a company that worked so tirelessly to make it right once they figure out that they have a problem. It's not lip service, and it's not just the marketing department telling a good story. The leadership of the company believes in the message, and will take action to make sure that those values are being upheld. Once this story is heard at the right level it will be dealt with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Continues... this time with an all-time superstar

https://www.nytimes.com/...-pregnancy-nike.html

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply