Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting Expert view on Tri Seat height
Quote | Reply
I had the following discussion this week with Paul Levine from Serrota in regards to seat height for a steep tri set up. [he also gave a lecture last year at IM LP ]

Paul,

I believe you talked about bike fit last year at IM Lake Placid If I remember correctly you mentioned that a TRI or TT position with a steeper seat angle generally calls for lowering the seat, relative to your road bike position. Can you explain the rational for this again. The general consensus seems to be the opposite. [as you move forward, you come closer to the BB and hence raise the seat]

Thanks for your time

AR

Re: Seat height -TT bike

Author: Paul Levine (---.nrp1.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)

Date: 05-28-03 13:39

Axel,

"The general consensus seems to be the opposite. [as you move forward, you come closer to the BB and hence raise the seat]"

This is true when you speak of fore and aft adjustments of the seat on the rails as it applies to maintaining the proper leg extension. But, with tri fitting the steeper seat angle and the seat height are determined differently than a road fitting. The steeper seat angle on a tri bike is suggested for some athletes to maintain the correct hip angle (Femur/ Torso) as the athlete rotates over and reduces his frontal surface area. This angle is determined by the athletes hip flexibilty off the bike.

The lower seat height, or the increased flexion in the triathlete's knee, is recommended because the hamstrings are being pulled up around the pelvis when the athlete rotates over. This movement causes an effective tightening of the hamstrings. By lowering the saddle it releases the tension on the hamstring. Additionally, it is important for the triathlete to be able to maintain his aero position. Being aero over a long time will cause the hamstring to want to shorten for the reasons mentioned above. The lower seat allows the hamstrings to have a more effective range of movement as they become fatigued.

Call me if you would like to discuss this in more detail

Paul,

Does this in essence mean, that my road bike seat height (approx. 79cm) will be higher than that of my Tri bike, [measured from ct of BB to the top of the saddle ct]? So far I have had my Tri bike at 79.5-80cm.

Author: Paul Levine (---.nrp1.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)Date: 05-29-03 12:57

Yes, your road bike should measure higher than your tri.

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Expert view on Tri Seat height [Redemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this, very timely because I (and my massage therapist) noticed that my hams are much tighther since I started riding a steep angle bike with seat heigth 5mm higher than my road set up. I just dropped the seat heigth on the tri bike for the weekend's ride just before you posted! We will see!

Quote | Reply
This is very interesting, because the common thinking (from what I've been able to glean on the forum) is that you start the season with the bars in a somewhat higher than optimal position, and drop them as your hamstrings adapt (stretch). Whereas, if I understand Paul Levine's position- he is essentially saying that you don't want/need to have your hamstrings adapt, but rather you should set up the bike to their current level of tension and leave it at that. Do I understand this correctly?

Did he say how much lower the saddle should be for a TT/tri setup?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Expert view on Tri Seat height [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Thanks for posting this, very timely because I (and my massage therapist) noticed that my hams are much tighther since I started riding a steep angle bike with seat heigth 5mm higher than my road set up. I just dropped the seat heigth on the tri bike for the weekend's ride just before you posted! We will see! [/reply]

Were you noticing the tight hamstrings on both bikes, or only one? If only one, which one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just had my seat lowered 2cm by a fitter/coach. All I can say is: ahhh...that feels better!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Expert view on Tri Seat height [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know how much lower the seat should be. But I'll try it tomorrow. I wonder if it alleviates some of my crutch problems as well

Also I think his view does not conflict with the idea that you can ride a more agressive postion [road or try] as you adapt more to your bike throughout the season.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Expert view on Tri Seat height [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just had my seat lowered 2cm by a fitter/coach. All I can say is: ahhh...that feels better!
wow that seems a lot, were you that far off?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 cm is not quite as bad as it sounds, because I got some new shoes which don't have as much thickness in the sole, he moved my cleats back, and he moved my seat back to 76 degrees from 77, all of which effectively decrease the correct saddle height value. Add this to the information I got from the last fitting I had where it was suggested for me to slowly increase the saddle height, and after a period of time, I overdid it a little. That reminds me of an old saying, "Take an aspirin, not the whole bottle".

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Last edited by: yaquicarbo: May 30, 03 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Expert view on Tri Seat height [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not been riding the road bike much since mid March so its the tribike.