Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting "big slam" article
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting "big slam" article [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried this position last year. Even used it in an Oly race. Does not work for me. I guess I'm one of those inflexible back people. I know of a local fast AG who uses the slam and flies!
Quote Reply
I tried it too... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I felt more powerful and I think, indeed, I was more powerful, as evidenced by better hillclimbing, I was slower on time trials. Apparently, I was not adding as much power as I was losing in aerodynamics at time trial speeds. I'm not super fast, about 24.5 mph in 10 mile TT's, but, I was a good minute to minute and a half slower using the slam on the same course. Perhaps my back isn't flexible enough either. Or, maybe, as it says in the article, the slam isn't for everyone...who knows what all the reasons are...

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting "big slam" article [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to sneak the purchase of another road bike past my wife so I can use my current road bike in a big slam experiment. Since my P2K has 700c wheels, I can keep variables reasonably similar between a slammed bike and my steep bike in a direct comparison over the summer on the local TT's.

I used to have something similar to the slam years ago when I first got into multi-sport riding a shallow bike, however, I did refuse to mess with the seat.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting "big slam" article [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey. below is a post kinda on the subject reflacting some stuff i am fiddling with vis a vis the slam and all. kinda geeky, i know - but it is fun.

". . . . .in case anybody is interested, this is what i am up to with all this: i started with a slammed road bike, seat tube of 73.5 degrees, with a 90 mm flip flop stem angled up. the bike was built as a compact, with a short headtube for it's size and a 90 degree stem for less weigh (!) and stiffness - (i angled it up some after starting PC-ing). i am trying a raceface seatpost reversed, which moves the saddle in an arc around the bb 2 in forward. i used a compass to extend out to the stem clamp, and drew another 2 in arc forward and down - actually it was a tad longer than 2 in, as the bb to bar clamp distance was just a smidge longer than the bb to seat distance. i then place the bar clamp at the new locale with a different stem and spacer combo - needing an 11 cm stem of slightly different angle flopped down nearly parallel with the road, and a little spacer adjusting. had the bike used a "normal headtube length for its size i would have been hard pressed to accomplish this, btw - probably would have needed a look-type stem. as it is it just looks quite low and racy. also, the 11 cm stem is still well within a normal type length and will not perch me way out over the front wheel as i feared. finally, i used a set of jammer gt's, adjusted out to their full length, rather than a standard aero bar. the reach is good, and the jammers are very adjustable in all axis's for comfort. according to mathdude and meg my new seatube angle is an effective 77.5 degrees. my body is in the same exact relative position to the bb as it was before in the slam. i am close to 2 in lower in front. so far the handling seems acceptable enuf for trial purposes. . . . all i have to do is roll down the road, anyway - not win a dual slalom. it's been fun so far - i think i'll leave it thus for a spell, and ride the PC bike in slam and this bike forward and see how it goes. i guess the lack of snow around here is good for something ! .............." tim
Quote Reply