Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Installing bar end shifters into Syntace C2
Quote | Reply
Will my Shimano BL7700 barend shifters fit into my Syntace C2? The Syntace bar end seems too wide (ID) to hold them. I'd rather not put on the shifting bridge unless I have to.

Also, I see the BL7700 instructions tell me not to use them with an Ultegra rear derailleur. I take it they will only work in friction mode? I have an Ultegra rear derailleur on this project bike I"m working on but can put on a Dura Ace if necessary.

The Syntace site truly sucks unless you read German. They've been saying they're adding an English version forever, but it's still in German.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Aug 21, 03 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: Installing bar end shifters into Syntace C2 [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will fit, and I'm not sure why your Ultegra won't work. It just slides on the cable you pull and push on just like the dura ace. I had a jumble of Dura ace, ultegra and a campy 9 speed casette on my training bike and it worked just fine. I'd try it before buying anything different.
Quote Reply
Re: Installing bar end shifters into Syntace C2 [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it's ok if its a little loose? The outside diameter of the shifters seems to be about 1-2mm smaller than the inside diameter of the bar. So once you add the cable the tension is enough to hold them in? Ok! Thanks.-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert, you are aware that you have to tighten the 6 mm expansion bolt to secure them to the ends of the C2's, aren't you? They work great. You don't use cable tension to hold them in place. You use cable tension to shift.

I have only used them for Dura Ace, but I don't see why they wouldn't work with Ultegra, assuming you are using 9 speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can wrap a little tape to help snug it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Installing bar end shifters into Syntace C2 [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AJ: Yup, I done fingered that' un out. :) Shimano's instructions are sooo cryptic. They want to be sure your LBS charges you $40 for the install. Or, is it because engineers hate language? :) Anyway, they're in. Just wanted to be sure I got it right.

I did put one wrap of duct tape around them though. :),

I'm going to test it tomorrow, so if I stop posting you guys can thank my poor mechanical skills.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That installation is a pain. We can talk you through this if you have problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Installing bar end shifters into Syntace C2 [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm more worried about the post-installation pain! :)

But, thanks a lot!!

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these are 9spd DuraAce shifters ? If so, then any rear der will work. Personally I have an Exage from a 6spd bike, and it works fine with the indexing shifter. Mine are installed in a Syntace Streamliner, no problems, but I don't know if the tubing is different for the C2..
Quote Reply
Re: Installing bar end shifters into Syntace C2 [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting because the instructions say to use them ONLY with a Dura Ace rear derailleur. Well, we'll see shortly. Everything's done except slapping on the pedals and a front wheel!

I'll let you know if they work and how well they work.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Post deleted by BMANX [ In reply to ]
Re: Installing bar end shifters into Syntace C2 [bdc71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDC: Voila! They work!! I'm always surprised.... Just need to adjust the rear derailleur a bit as it won't go into the largest cog. Hope I didn't take out too much chain. Oh, and I did remove the tape and they are holding nicely.

This is a TitanFlex-the old aluminum model I'm building up. I want to see if my back feels any better on a frame with a longer wheelbase and rake and a slightly bouncy beam. This will be quite a departure from my Santa Cruz Roadster which is a twitchy crit/TT bike.

Thanks to all for the help!

-Robert

Quote Reply