Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Installing a rear dereailleur on a Carbon rear derailleur hanger (Cervelo p3)
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

I bought a Cervelo P3 frameset (2018), and I am building it with (Mechanical) Ultegra group set.
According to Shimano, the torque for installing the rear derailleur is 8 -10 Nm.
From my previous experience with other frames, I usually grease the threads of the derailleur before installing it.
However it is not feasible with carbon derailleur hanger.

Can you please advice me what is the best approach:
Should I install the rear derailleur dry?
Or is it better to use carbon assembly paste? It yes, what should be the "new" torque?

Thanks a lot for in advance for your comments!
Quote Reply
Re: Installing a rear dereailleur on a Carbon rear derailleur hanger (Cervelo p3) [Dror Sever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you think that the rear derailleur hanger is made of carbon?
Quote Reply
Re: Installing a rear dereailleur on a Carbon rear derailleur hanger (Cervelo p3) [Dror Sever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dror Sever wrote:
Hi guys,

I bought a Cervelo P3 frameset (2018), and I am building it with (Mechanical) Ultegra group set.
According to Shimano, the torque for installing the rear derailleur is 8 -10 Nm.
From my previous experience with other frames, I usually grease the threads of the derailleur before installing it.

Or is it better to use carbon assembly paste? It yes, what should be the "new" torque?

I'm pretty sure that it's an aluminum derailleur hanger, like nearly every other carbon frame I've ever seen.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Installing a rear dereailleur on a Carbon rear derailleur hanger (Cervelo p3) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how Cervelo designed the P2 or P3 frames. Integrated Carbon rear derailleur hanger for increased stiffness.
Quote Reply
Re: Installing a rear dereailleur on a Carbon rear derailleur hanger (Cervelo p3) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Dror Sever wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure that it's an aluminum derailleur hanger, like nearly every other carbon frame I've ever seen.

You need to get out more.

But seriously, my bike has a non-replaceable derailleur hanger. It is carbon with a metal threaded insert (2012 Felt B12). This isn't my bike but the same frame pic I found online (if you look at the threads of the derailleur hanger you can see it's metal).

To the OP, the hanger should have a metal threaded insert even if it isn't an aluminum/replaceable one so grease away the threads like you normally do. If it doesn't I'd be worried about if it was my frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Installing a rear dereailleur on a Carbon rear derailleur hanger (Cervelo p3) [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://ruckuscomp.com/...dropout-replacement-

As you can check in the above link. It is full carbon, including threads.

I think that maybe Park Tool PolyLube 1000 is my best option. Park tool specifically notes that it is safe to use with carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dror Sever wrote:
https://ruckuscomp.com/...dropout-replacement-

As you can check in the above link. It is full carbon, including threads.

I think that maybe Park Tool PolyLube 1000 is my best option. Park tool specifically notes that it is safe to use with carbon.

that link is a company that replaces the stock dropout with a carbon one. you can clearly see in the images that the broken, stock dropout is made of aluminum.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's clearly not carbon

Quote Reply
Re: Installing a rear dereailleur on a Carbon rear derailleur hanger (Cervelo p3) [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Dror Sever wrote:
Hi guys,

You need to get out more.

But seriously, my bike has a non-replaceable derailleur hanger. It is carbon with a metal threaded insert (2012 Felt B12). This isn't my bike but the same frame pic I found online (if you look at the threads of the derailleur hanger you can see it's metal).

To the OP, the hanger should have a metal threaded insert even if it isn't an aluminum/replaceable one so grease away the threads like you normally do. If it doesn't I'd be worried about if it was my frame.

Why do you think I said "nearly"? there are a handful that use a full carbon dropout and hanger (with a metal threaded insert), and some older ones used Ti, but the vast majority have aluminum dropouts bonded to carbon or have a replaceable Al hanger.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't know they did that. This is my personal preference but next time I get a TT/Tri bike it has to have a replaceable derailleur hanger. I don't want one that is carbon (or rather fixed only non-replaceable) that doesn't have a threaded insert either. But that's my choice but I didn't know my Felt was like that when I bought it either (not as well versed back then as am I now about that stuff).
Quote Reply
Re: Installing a rear dereailleur on a Carbon rear derailleur hanger (Cervelo p3) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just making a comment in jest. But if you are that wound up about my joke I apologize.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for all the info, and making sense out of it!
Quote Reply
Re: Installing a rear dereailleur on a Carbon rear derailleur hanger (Cervelo p3) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for the picture!!!

I cleaned the threads of the (brand new) derailleur hanger and now I can see the metal insert. To save a little bit of my dignity, the paint job is terrible and I hope the the anti seize plus inserting the rear derailleur will clear any paint residues where they should'st be.

So do you use typical anti seize? and ~7-8 Nm torque?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tighten it up.

The torque number isn't that important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
I was just making a comment in jest. But if you are that wound up about my joke I apologize.

Sorry mate. with recent events around here and just WFH-fatigue in general, I've lost a bit of my sense of ha-ha. Don't apologize, we're all good...

edit, and I wasn't really wound up about it. just didn't realize it was a joke. my bad...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 20, 20 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
loxx0050 wrote:

Sorry mate. with recent events around here and just WFH-fatigue in general, I've lost a bit of my sense of ha-ha. Don't apologize, we're all good...

All good. I'm working from home too and wife is a displaced worker (self-employed and my state's system still says she doesn't qualify for unemployment benefits despite the CARES act being enacted weeks ago). We were at each others throats for a bit not too long ago too but things are kind of settling into a (for now) new norm (but I don't really like it though overall).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No anti-seize.

Sure 7-8 Nm sounds about right but I don't use a torque wrench on something like that.
Quote Reply