Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 2, 18 0:34
Re: Insect stings and allergic reactions... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great share......

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with this helmet specifically for this reason. The honeycomb lining will keep any unwanted pests off my head. I'm allergic to bee stings and had several unknown bugs get inside my regular helmet during some rides earlier in the year. Thankfully I didn't get stung, but forced me to take some preventative measures. Just throwing this out there for anyone in similar situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got stung or bit by some weird kind of wasp at a TT over a month ago. I was mile 17 into a 40k and had to stop, heart rate went through the roof and I felt nauseous. Was OK after just spinning back, but it took 3 weeks for the resulting rash on my leg to go away. Wish I could post a pic of it. Now I have Lyme disease, it's been a great season for me so far :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great share indeed!!

Was out on a ride with a friend several years ago when she got stung by a bee. Her first words were, "Uh oh, I'm allergic to bee stings and I don't have my meds with me. In five minutes I'm not going to know where I am." Fortunately, we were 1/4 mile from another friend's house to be able to get some of the OTC meds in her that would help followed by a very fast drive to the hospital. The friend who was stung has no recollection of the drive to the hospital.

As stated in original post, this can be serious. Be prepared, and have a plan!

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve gotten to the point where I always carry some Benadryl with me when I ride. Last year I didn’t and was stung by a bee in my face. I didn’t think too much of it at the time. It was our last training ride before Mont-Tremblant last year and my buddy brought a bottle of champagne to celebrate. Chugged half of that, while dehydrated, took two Benadryl, and then tried to sit through a dog training class at our house. Apparently that’s a magical combination for not being able to sleep as my wife says I was falling asleep mid sentence. Woke up the next day and both of my eyes were swollen shut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post hits home with me. I did a really long gravel ride several weeks ago and ended up getting deathly sick about 5 days afterwards. I was confused, as well as the doctors, on what was wrong with me and after a week of fever and body aches and a 4 day hospital stay I tested positive for a tic borne disease that can be deadly. The right antibiotics cleared it up. I did miss several key trainings weeks before my A race which was Ohio this past Sunday. Still did "ok" despite the setback and feel lucky that I got to compete. It's the little things in life that can really mess you up ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here's what I carry and recommend.:

1) Ranitidine -- that's right: Zantac! In addition to being a heartburn medication, it's an effective H2 histamine blocker and is an excellent complement to Benadryl
2) Benadryl - children's chewable - absorbed more quickly
3) Epi-pen
4) On longer rides -- prednisone

I used to get swelling that lasted for weeks from Bee/yellowjackets. By taking Zantac and Benadryl immediately, there's no swelling even the next day! I haven't had to resort to the epi-pen yet.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Aug 2, 18 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume there's a test to see if you're allergic. I've actually never been stung, but my maternal grandfather had the allergy.
Quote Reply