Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Input on my semi-slammed postition. Please help.
Quote | Reply
hi. this is me on my road bike-turned tt bike. i'm 5'10, long torsoed, with approx. equal tib-fib vs femur length. my background is in running, so if i err on the side of high saddle-ness, that's why. i am a high cadence rider. the mountain pedals and shoes are being replaced as we speak (with the appropriate adjustments coming to the saddle height as well). the saddle is slammed back, with the tip 5 cm behind the bb. first test ride felt good--pretty stable and quite aero (if you can 'feel' aero, that is).

One question is--when i rode this way, i tended to slide a tiny bit towards the nose of the saddle (which i know is common in an aero position). my question is that if i'm supposed to be "slammed" back on the saddle, should i tilt my saddle slightly nose up to prevent the forward slide (and maintain the slam aero-ness), or should i be happy if my body is cool on the saddle nose (and possibly lose some aero).

http://galleries.mtbreview.com/...bikeposition0006.asp

any input is VERY appreciated.
Last edited by: rossman: Feb 24, 04 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: Input on my semi-slammed postition. Please help. [rossman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks about the same position my wife rides her road bike. She's just as fast slammed on her road bike as she is steep on her P2K. She's also a good runner and runs just as well off either position. We've tested this on the same route over a hundred times.

She has long legs/short torso and a longer femur to tibia ratio. I've got short legs/long torso and equal femur/tibia ratio. I've also tested the slam and it just doesn't seem to work for me.

Here's a good article about the slam from Gary's site.

http://www.timetrial.org/slam.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's your picture.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to nitpick and hopefully educate those who also look for input. . .the best setup for a position picture will be taken with the camera lens aiming from a physical point centered on the person and bike. For you this should have put the height of the lens as well as the lateral position of the lens at just about your right knee. The lens focal length should also be the equivalent of a 35mm camera lens in the 43-55mm range. The standard 50mm lens is perfect. On a digicam with tiny a tiny lens this usually means somewhere around about 12mm. Shorter focal lengths distort the ratios toward the edges of the frame and longer focal lengths distort the sense of depth in the picture (i.e. the depth appears shorter than real life. . .) What this means is that whoever took this photo took it with the camera lens aimed from a height that appears to be about at your eye's level in the picture. That distorts the lower portion of the picture in terms of relative positions, making any meaningful measurements difficult at best.

All that said, your position seems decent for a road bike with slam bars. Its a bit high, but with no more spacers you'd have to use a different stem to get lower with that bar setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Input on my semi-slammed postition. Please help. [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the photo info--i wasn't sure of the best way to do it (as it was, i already had to convince my wife that i NEEDED her to help ;) )

and as for the "a bit high", i just spoke to bicyclesports.com this morning about whether or not i could remove the spacers below the elbow pads and just mount them flush onto the bars--they said yes, so the pads (and thus my elbows/shoulders...) will now drop an extra cm or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know exactly what you mean. My wife didn't so much have a problem with taking a quick photo or two, but didn't like my directing of how to do it, especially when I asked her to get down on her knees. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Input on my semi-slammed postition. Please help. [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's funny...she didn't mind when...

Wait...I wont go there. :P

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this looks like great service. Hey, I have a Soft Ride. Needless to say, measuring angles is not easy.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply