Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ineos sign Pidcock
Quote | Reply
Well it didn’t take long for Brailsford to come up with a potential answer to Pogocar, Remco, Van Aert, VdP...

The interesting thing will be watching the exodus of young riders with TdF ambitions. Ineos seem to have bet the farm on little guys like Bernal and Carapaz (maybe Sivakov) who aren’t very talented TT riders. Given the lack of drama for most of the mountain stages (JV or Ineos burns off all but the 6 or 7 best climbers and there is a sprint inside the last 700 meters for time bonuses and a handful of seconds). I don’t see the Tour organizers eliminating TTs and the formula for success still seems to be a guy that can ride fast by themselves.

I guess if you look back at the last 30 years of Tour winners only Pantani and Bernal won without being able to destroy everyone in a TT as well as being able to at least limit their losses to the pure climbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure Pidcock is a GT GC rider, at this point. He's more of a less developed version of MVDP or Van Aert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

I guess if you look back at the last 30 years of Tour winners only Pantani and Bernal won without being able to destroy everyone in a TT as well as being able to at least limit their losses to the pure climbers.

Carlos Sastre and Nibali. And Schleck and Pereiro if you take into account the voided results of Contador and Landis. (Not even going to look at the Lance years...)

Nibali can be "OK" at TT, but certainly has never been able to destroy everyone.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just being pedantic. None of the four of those guys were a perennial strong Tour de France contender. Maybe Nibali for a while.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 21, 20 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured he was already on the phone with Pogacar. But it does serve their once main focus to develop British talent, which is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see if Ineos let hm continue with his MTB and Cyclo-cross and possibly bring him in as a Staggaire in the first year .
He has had incredible results in the Junior Paris Roubaix and Baby Giro to name a few .
He debuts this weekend in the GB senior team at the world championships so it will be interesting .(I believe there is no U23 road race )
Excited for this young lad from Leeds .
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If memory serves me well, Contador did win TT stages, he even beat cancellara at his second tour win.
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
If memory serves me well, Contador did win TT stages, he even beat cancellara at his second tour win.

Interesting bit of trivia, that may or may not be accurate. Contador’s first pro win was a TT. I think it was at the Tour of Poland. The guy also had a super low CdA. There was an old VeloNews article that covered some new-pro named Contador and one other rider coming over and testing at the MIT wind tunnel. They reported drag in pounds for some odd reason and he was below 4. To put that in perspective Colby Pierce, who is pretty small and an aero pioneer, was something like 4.1 or 4.2 on his Lotus. So approaching 10% less drag than one of the most aero guys in the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Carlos Sastre and Nibali. And Schleck and Pereiro if you take into account the voided results of Contador and Landis. (Not even going to look at the Lance years...)

Nibali can be "OK" at TT, but certainly has never been able to destroy everyone.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just being pedantic. None of the four of those guys were a perennial strong Tour de France contender. Maybe Nibali for a while.

Wow I completely forgot about Sastre. Good catch. I also forgot about those “wins with an asterisk”. The only thing I remember about the Tour that Vinny Nibbles won was that he was great at everything that year. Flats, uphill, downhill. It was a standout performance through the whole tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loved watching him race cross last year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This migration of Cross riders to super domestiques who can TT started with Lars Boom, who really showed that they could go beyond classics riders and actually impact grand tours... MVDP and WVA are kind of next level in that sense, as cross studs who can really influence the face of the GC in the Grand Tours... On the ladies side this was less new, since Marianne Vos has been crushing everything for years, and Pauline Ferrand-Provost also managed to unify the world titles in 2015 (road, MTB, CX)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Pidcock will be bringing two more sets of rainbow bands to an already stacked team, even if not on the road (yet).
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Looks like Pidcock will be bringing two more sets of rainbow bands to an already stacked team, even if not on the road (yet).

Ha, I was thinking "U23 and what?" e-MTB!

At least it's good to see legit cyclists winning e-MTB. I won't deny there's a shit-ton of skill still involved.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 9, 20 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They also picked up Adam Yates as well. It's an interesting dynamic with Bernal. Will Yates be an insurance policy in case Bernal folds again?
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:
They also picked up Adam Yates as well. It's an interesting dynamic with Bernal. Will Yates be an insurance policy in case Bernal folds again?

Yates, Porte, Martinez,... an entire fleet of guys that could finish between 6th and 10th place in any GT. They will have a stacked team of also rans.

There was an interesting interview with Pogacar’s coach last week. He was saying that riding the Tour was tactically pretty easy for UAE, just follow Roglic every day. If Ineos shows up with their normal dominant team, there will be two teams setting up trains neutralizing the action in the mountains, which just leaves cross-wind and TT stages to sort out the podium. Thomas might be up to the task, but I think Bernal isn’t a good enough TT rider. Ineos might really need a guy like Pidcock to develop along the lines Evenepoel and Pogacar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
ecce-homo wrote:

Interesting bit of trivia, that may or may not be accurate. Contador’s first pro win was a TT. I think it was at the Tour of Poland. The guy also had a super low CdA. There was an old VeloNews article that covered some new-pro named Contador and one other rider coming over and testing at the MIT wind tunnel. They reported drag in pounds for some odd reason and he was below 4. To put that in perspective Colby Pierce, who is pretty small and an aero pioneer, was something like 4.1 or 4.2 on his Lotus. So approaching 10% less drag than one of the most aero guys in the US.

FYI, the other guy was Luis Leon Sanchez, the current Spanish national road champ who rides for Astana.
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:

Yates fills two roles for Ineos. He is British and he can be a domestique in the mountains for their top guy. He'll never be on the level of a healthy Bernal, Roglic, Pogacar, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not on instagram, but my son called me to tell me that Pidcock "sort of claims" to have run a 13.25 5k, while trying to break 15. I think as part of a longer run. It's on strava, but has been flagged, whatever that means. I say "sort of claims," because from what my son told me Pidcock does say that he might have to try again in a couple weeks to verify the time -- so he seems to be upfront in saying the strava time might not be correct.

I imagine he did quite a bit of running to train for cyclocross worlds on that sandy course.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runners dont break a "goal" by 90s at that level of speeds. Like if your truly a 15 min 5k'er, you dont have to speed currently to drop down *that* fast.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention he British record for a Road 5k is 13:20. His time would be equivalent to the second fastest road 5k ever by a British runner. Tom must be pretty clueless about running to post this on Instagram thinking it’s legit. A 13:25 5k, 4:06 mile and 1:57 800 all in the middle of a 8k run....sure

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
I'm not on instagram, but my son called me to tell me that Pidcock "sort of claims" to have run a 13.25 5k, while trying to break 15. I think as part of a longer run. It's on strava, but has been flagged, whatever that means. I say "sort of claims," because from what my son told me Pidcock does say that he might have to try again in a couple weeks to verify the time -- so he seems to be upfront in saying the strava time might not be correct.

I imagine he did quite a bit of running to train for cyclocross worlds on that sandy course.

He definately needs to verify that time, as unless he is a pure runner at an elite level or someone who run trains for elite competition which involves a run leg under 14 5 k's don't happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He already said his GPS was wrong.

His goal is a slow pace of 15 min for the 5k.
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on his strava activities it would be legendary effort to get to 15 5k. Unless he’s secret run training all this time.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos sign Pidcock [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based off 4th place in the Cyclocross WC , his Baby Giro and Junior Paris /Roubaix wins .
Do not underestimate Tim P .
He’s Yorkshire through and through and just messing with you all .Wait till the Ineos boys get him drinking coffee .
Last edited by: sward: Feb 8, 21 6:44
Quote Reply