Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Indoor trainer options these days
Quote | Reply
With the holiday's coming and weather turning to shit. My thoughts move yet again, to a quality indoor trainer.

Have Kurt Kinetic Road. But thinking a smart trainer with someonline option. Not apposed to fully integrated trainer, or can put my bike on something. Is the Wahoo Kicker still "the one" with zwift for online ?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no 'the one' in 2020. Smart trainers are now quiet, (mostly) accurate, ship with quick release & thru-axle support, can simulate steeper gradients than anyone wants to ride, and are compatible with any software platform you choose.

Wahoo changed the game with the Kickr. Everyone else built something similar. At the top of the heap is Kickr 5, NEO2T, DiretoXR, H3. Stepping down a little in price you're in the range of the Core (which is virtually indistinguishable from a Kickr if you close your eyes), Suito, Flux(s).

Choice comes down to what's available and what's in your price range.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Wahoo KICKR and Tacx Neo are the two kings.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Oct 18, 20 15:26
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
The Wahoo KICKR and Tacx Neo 2 are the two kings.
(edit for auto-incorrect)
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doh, thanks. I edited mine too.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an ancient Computrainer, a set of rollers that have decent variable resistance and an ancient spin bike. I mainly train on my own unconnected so in addtiont to Kickr and Neo if I go full cadillac which company's full bike set up is preferred these days and what is the benefit over their trainers other than not having to attach a bike (any special additional features)
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
The Wahoo KICKR and Tacx Neo 2 are the two kings.

(edit for auto-incorrect)

Neo2T, not Neo 2.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thru-axle support? That I'm interested in. Who among the leaders offers that?

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tinman wrote:
Thru-axle support? That I'm interested in. Who among the leaders offers that?

All of them. It would be a huge competitive disadvantage without thru-axle compatibility, and most trainers have actually had it for a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are all of the adapter parts/widgets, etc typically included with the trainer or are those add-ons that I have to track down and purchase?

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2T had them in the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty happy with my Saris H3. You can find them on sale for $800.00. Comes with various bits for through axle adaption. Didn't come with a cassette or skewer. I should say that I only bike indoors when I'm doing interval training so I'm clueless about all this virtual stuff.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There still seems to be a scarcity of trainers for sale in the Covid times. I asked my LBS to bring in a Tacx Neo 2T for me around 2 months ago and they're telling me there's still no sign of a delivery date.

I do live in Canada and i believe that they have to go through the US first but is anyone else having problems actually obtaining trainers?

Thankfully my faithful Road machine keeps on going.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Direto X but lots of parity out there and choices for some might be dictated by product availability

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
russ wrote:
There still seems to be a scarcity of trainers for sale in the Covid times. I asked my LBS to bring in a Tacx Neo 2T for me around 2 months ago and they're telling me there's still no sign of a delivery date.

I do live in Canada and i believe that they have to go through the US first but is anyone else having problems actually obtaining trainers?

Thankfully my faithful Road machine keeps on going.

My other half is a Garmin dealer and what you describe for delivery delays is pretty common. I think last word she had was no Neo 2T until February. If your dealer placed the order 2 months ago yours may make it sooner.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer options these days [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
Pretty happy with my Saris H3. You can find them on sale for $800.00. Comes with various bits for through axle adaption. Didn't come with a cassette or skewer. I should say that I only bike indoors when I'm doing interval training so I'm clueless about all this virtual stuff.

I'm on my 2nd drive belt on my Saris H1. Also in my 4th year with Rouvy. I used the trial period on Zwift and despised the cartoon world. I also tried FulGaz which uses real video like Rouvy. Their metrics currently do not provide a TSS score but otherwise seemed interesting, but not enough to pull me away from Rouvy.
Quote Reply