Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Indoor Trainer / Zwift / Power question
Quote | Reply
Happy thanksgiving everyone! I am getting back in to triathlon after a pretty significant hiatus. I have a question about some technology that i am looking at and trying to not be redundant - but also compatible. And really don't have any business doing this from a cost standpoint so trying to be as economical as possible.

I would like to be able to train indoors and zwift looks like a cool platform - and I have an apple TV both in my room and the living room. But I don't think I am wanting to purchase a direct drive trainer at this point. so questions:

1. Fluid Trainer reccomendation? Will probably take a stab at the used market first - but I know there are a few good sales going on. I know that Zwift has a list of "compatible"

2. As long as I have a bluetooth compatible speed/Cadence sensor and Heart rate monitor I should be fine to connect to the Apple TV?

3. Ultimately I would like to get an entry level power meter - prob single side pedal or crank arm - if this is bluetooth as well - can it all be tied together indoors? And if this all can talk together indoors - I am assuming it can all set up with Garmin Connect and/or training peaks?

Ok - please let me know if I am completely off base - which is probably the case. Otherwise have a great thanksgiving and I appreciate y'alls help!
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainer / Zwift / Power question [caseys8527] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift is great on AppleTv, keep in mind it doesn't work on all of them, 4th gen and 4k only IIRC.

There is a limit to how many bluetooth connections an AppleTv can use, I forget what it is but I think you're getting close. In any case you'll probably want to have the Zwift companion app running on a cellphone anyway as it is the easiest way to control Zwift when running it on an AppleTv (in my opinion). But I believe you can also use the companion app for any bluetooth devices that you can't connect to the AppleTv, for example connect HR to your phone if the AppleTv bluetooth connections are full. Connecting individual devices to Zwift is pretty easy though and the app loads to that page every time and you quickly click through anything that needs to be added. I don't use the same HRM all the time for example and it is pretty easy to add new ones, and it will remember devices that you've used before.

You can set Zwift up to automatically write to Garmin Connect and Training Peaks after you click SAVE on any Zwift ride, once you set it up, it is very automated and happens quickly. I think I send everything I do to Strava, Garmin and TP's for example automatically.

I don't have any suggestions on fluid trainers, I haven't used one in quite some time. But take a look at used smart trainers, there should be plenty on the market as people shop Black Friday deals.

Almost any sensor, trainer, powermeter etc made recently has bluetooth, that wasn't always the case but it seems to be the norm now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Fluid Trainer Recommendation - I'm not much help here, but I've had an Elite fluid trainer for about six years. It's been rock solid. A decent fluid trainer should be $150-$200 new.

2. BT Speed / Cadence / HR Sensors - All should work perfectly with Apple TV. If you went with ant+ sensors, you would have to purchase a bridge to convert the ant+ signal to BT. If you go the BT route, I think you can only have 3 BT devices connected to the Apple TV at one time...and one of those is probably going to be your remote. If you want speed, cadence, and HR, you may need to connect some of those to your phone through the companion app. That connection with phone will then send the data to Zwift and display it on the Apple TV.

Or maybe a combo speed/cadence sensor only uses up one of your two remaining BT connections, leaving the last BT connection for HR. (I'm not sure on this part)

3. Power Meter - Everything you typed should work just as you described it. Some people will encourage you to spend more money to get a better/dual-sided unit. I've never used a single sided PM, but I can see the appeal for someone just starting out. They can be purchased for as little $250-$300 new.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainer / Zwift / Power question [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Sounds like I am going kind of in the right direction. I appreciate everyone’s input.

Quick question. Does the speed sensor only have value indoors? I assume the cadence sensor is a positive indoors or out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
caseys8527 wrote:
Awesome. Sounds like I am going kind of in the right direction. I appreciate everyone’s input.

Quick question. Does the speed sensor only have value indoors? I assume the cadence sensor is a positive indoors or out.

Most people get speed outdoors from their GPS computer rather than a speed sensor mounted to their wheel. There are some solid uses for the speed sensor outdoors...mostly related to aero testing, because they are considered far more accurate than GPS.

If you go the power meter route, you probably won't need a cadence sensor indoors or outdoors. Most PMs will capture/broadcast cadence. There are a few types of PMs that don't do cadence (hub based and some older crank based).
Quote Reply