Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Increasing Resistance in Zwift Racing
Quote | Reply
Quick one - I need a bigger gear in Zwift racing - can anyone advise how you go about doing that please? I assume there is a way to shift the overall resistance up so that in the top gear at a constant cadence the wattage will be higher.

I’ve gathered you can adjust the ‘trainer difficulty’ in the Zwift settings which makes hills more challenging but according to the Zwift website it doesn’t ‘make you go faster’.

Trainer in question is a Tacx Flux 2, but I’d assume this can be achieved through, not anything to do with the smart trainer

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Increasing Resistance in Zwift Racing [PJH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is the trainer difficulty setting is like changing cassette/chainrings. So sliding it more towards max makes it seem like you got a flatlland setup while climbing (harder). Sliding it more towards minimum might seem like you got a hilly setup while riding in the flats (easier).

So it doesn’t increase resistance if sliding to max but makes for a harder virtual gear ratio.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 1, 20 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: Increasing Resistance in Zwift Racing [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok great, so max gear at 80RPM for the purpose of this illustration is 400W, once the ‘trainer difficulty’ is turned up in Zwift then max gear at 80RPM will now be 500W and speed in Zwift will be reflected.

If that is the case (values aside) that is great, thanks, I’d assumed this was the way it worked but this isn’t what the Zwift site seemed to be implying.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same RPMs with it set to max as opposed to the middle would yield higher power.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainer difficulty on Zwift only impacts what %grade it tells the trainer to simulate. At 50% (the default) a +10% grade on Zwift is communicated as a +5% grade to the trainer, and a -10% grade is communicated as -2.5% (Zwift always halves the grade feel for downhills vs. uphills....no way to change this). A flat road (0%) will feel the same regardless of the trainer difficulty setting.

I don't know if there is a way to ask the smart trainer to simulate a larger gear. Getting a different cassette is probably the easiest solve. What is your current max gear?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Increasing Resistance in Zwift Racing [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have enough power to spin out a 53/12 or 11???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you connecting with BT or ANT+?

There was an article on zwiftinsider.com discussing different base resistances for different connections. The BT connection had the lowest base resistance, while others were higher.

Found the article: https://zwiftinsider.com/...-and-bluetooth-ftms/

It's based on the Kickr, so not sure if it applies to other trainers or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok interesting - so trainer difficulty is not the solution after all!

I’m using 52/11 on the trainer and I find I need a bigger gear for sprinting and generally grinding along as I suit a bigger gear lower cadence.

I’m connecting via Bluetooth.

I can’t believe that there isn’t a solution to this with a trainer with a sole purpose of varying resistance, needing to replace the chainring seems archaic.

Am I missing something please?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN has it right. Set your trainer slider to max and you will match the reality of your gearing. It will give you the biggest gear you can have given your set up. Lower settings will make it feel like you have easier gears and you’ll need higher cadence to get more power.

I have a kickr bike and interestingly enough, you can actually program bigger gears via the Wahoo app. I’m not sure if there is any similar thing on your trainer...maybe check the support material on li ne...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Increasing Resistance in Zwift Racing [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
GMAN has it right. Set your trainer slider to max and you will match the reality of your gearing. It will give you the biggest gear you can have given your set up. Lower settings will make it feel like you have easier gears and you’ll need higher cadence to get more power.

I have a kickr bike and interestingly enough, you can actually program bigger gears via the Wahoo app. I’m not sure if there is any similar thing on your trainer...maybe check the support material on li ne...

Titanflexr is correct though in that zero percent grade is still zero percent grade so the slider only affects ascents and descents.

Quote Reply
Re: Increasing Resistance in Zwift Racing [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep--thats right. In practice I set it to about 90% because I find I can get up even the 15+% grades without ridiculously low cadences and so I think that gives me the biggest range and biggest gears for descent...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Increasing Resistance in Zwift Racing [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's actually the opposite - if you want a big gear for the descent you want to reduce trainer difficulty. With high trainer difficulty, the downhill will be simulated to a greater extent, which means less resistance, which means greater likelihood of spinning out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s essentially what changing the trainer setting does. What you said is correct, but larger cassettes would also have the same effect.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Increasing Resistance in Zwift Racing [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what the trainer difficult setting does in Zwift.

1) Some believe that turning up the difficulty acts increases the overall resistance, therefore on a constant gradient with a constant cadence with a constant gear then the higher the difficulty the higher the power. Crucially including on the flat.

2) Others believe that turning up the difficulty increases the overall resistance (all else being equal) but it ONLY has an impact if you are going uphill or downhill.

From experimenting last night on Zwift, it seems 2) is true. I tested 1) by varying the trainer difficulty whilst on a flat road with all other conditions the same and it didn't seem to have an impact, whereas when I hit a ascent the impact was huge.

Therefore, turning up the difficulty is not equivalent to adding higher gears to your bike, as early that would give you a harder gear for the flat.

All in all, this seems like the most ridiculous omission. I'll read up about the TACX 2 to see if it can be done within the trainer settings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difficulty slider has opposite effects on uphill versus downhill. Uphill - For the same cadence, the higher the difficulty, the lower the gear you have to ride in to maintain the same wattage to the point that you may not have a low enough gear on very steep hills. The opposite is true for downhills. For the same cadence, the higher the difficulty, the higher the gear you have to ride in to maintain the same wattage to the point that you can literally run out of gears. You will hear about people using 100% difficult in a race and getting dropped on the downhills because they can't spin fast enough.

A select few are very hardcore about using 100% difficulty. I don't know how many watts you are sprinting at but if it matters that much I would look into turning off 'controllable trainer' and controlling resistance manually via a separate app. FWIW, people have been accused of cheating by racing in erg mode.

A common saying is that using less than 100% difficulty is like flattening a hill but having to still do the same amount of work. I like to think of it as having a magically auto-selecting smaller chainring while climbing and larger one when descending.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry. It does alter gradient feel when climbing, essentially as adding a few extra gears would. No change in the flats really. The true definition is that the percent difficulty is the percent of the gradient you experience.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something is wrong in your setup. Do you feel changing resistance on each hill? Post a picture of your pairing screen.

The Flux 2 is capable of 2000w resistance. I can't imagine spinning out 52/11 with a max resistance of 2000w

You have it plugged in?
Last edited by: iamuwere: May 3, 20 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Increasing Resistance in Zwift Racing [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Something is wrong in your setup. Do you feel changing resistance on each hill? Post a picture of your pairing screen.

The Flux 2 is capable of 2000w resistance. I can't imagine spinning out 52/11 with a max resistance of 2000w

You have it plugged in?

Haha - yes it's plugged in. Yes it is calibrated and working normally. My 5 second power is 1200 with the 52/11 against a 355 FTP, I just suspect more power might be generated in certain circumstances with a bigger gear whilst sprinting, downhill or whilst standing and grinding at a low cadence. I don't understand how 2000W could be generated on the flat with 52/11 - you'd be at a ridiculous RPM
Quote Reply