Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Increasing FTP for Workouts
Quote | Reply
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I recently did some bike testing and my FTP increased almost 10% since my last test in March. Coming down from elevation (moving from Colorado) helped the increase, but I feel that is a fairly large jump to increase all at once. Do people immediately increase their FTP or slowly increase it over weeks so workouts aren't so much harder?
Quote Reply
Re: Increasing FTP for Workouts [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I set mine to what my FTP is. If you think workouts will be too hard, then you can set your FTP a bit lower and go with that. You're better off with your FTP a bit on the low side over having it set too high. This also depends on the test you did as some tend to over-estimate FTP. If your FTP is correct, workouts shouldn't be too hard.

Also, you don't need to target specific numbers in workouts. Instead of trying to hit 100% of your new FTP in threshold workouts, you can go a bit below that at first, see how it goes and then adjust. As the saying goes, train with power, not to power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would increase it enough so that you can finish your scheduled workouts successfully, yet still make them challenging. There is no reason to immediately go out there and kill yourself and/or bail on workouts because they're too hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are not able to do 2 x 20' at 100% FTP, then your FTP is set too high. It's just that plain and simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Increasing FTP for Workouts [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I'll set power ranges instead of specific numbers. I think my FTP is set correctly, I just don't like failing workouts and I don't want to burn out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well most PM's are 1.5% accurate. If you do a test and you're FTP comes out to be 285 that really means it's somewhere between 280 & 290.

use that range. If you're feeling like a badass shoot for the higher end. If you're dragging ass shoot for the lower end.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conky wrote:
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I recently did some bike testing and my FTP increased almost 10% since my last test in March. Coming down from elevation (moving from Colorado) helped the increase, but I feel that is a fairly large jump to increase all at once. Do people immediately increase their FTP or slowly increase it over weeks so workouts aren't so much harder?

How did you estimate FTP and did you use the same test in March?
Quote Reply