Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Income tax time in Canada = New goodies?
Quote | Reply
Good day everyone,

I'm Canadian, so I apologize to the Americans and others from around the world if this is not relevant. I'm no expert on tax returns and timing for different nations.

Just curious for those that do get a return from taxes, do you treat yourself to any new gadgets?
Maybe some new wheels, or a new tri suit? Or is it saved for a rainy day or the kids education funds?

I've been wanting to get a Garmin Edge 530 for some time now and have never pulled the trigger.
I currently use my 920 XT to pair to my Favero Assioma pedals, and it is quite annoying during races to keep looking at my watch.
I'm pulling the trigger this year though and I'm excited for it to arrive.
Quote Reply
Re: Income tax time in Canada = New goodies? [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grabbed the TriRig Alpha when it was on sale a few days ago. Can't wait for it to arrive soon!

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll get a few thousand back (daycare and RRSP contributions), but I won't buy anything extravagant. I need a new jersey and another pair of shorts, and something nice for my wife. The rest will go to savings/debt.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good chunk will just go into savings but I am thinking of picking up a Garmin Inreach for my gravel and trail running/hiking adventures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
I've been wanting to get a Garmin Edge 530 for some time now and have never pulled the trigger.
I currently use my 920 XT to pair to my Favero Assioma pedals, and it is quite annoying during races to keep looking at my watch.
I'm pulling the trigger this year though and I'm excited for it to arrive.

Not Canadian, but it is tax time in the US too. I'm kind of in the same boat with needing a new Edge to replace my 520 with battery issues. I just wanted to let you know that it might be best to wait a month or so. Garmin is due to release a new Edge in April (if they stick to normal timelines). So you might be able to get an Edge 530 plus or 540, whatever they call it. Even if you still want to get the 530, the price will probably go down after a new one is released. Of course the pandemic could delay the release, but it I think it will be worth it to wait at least a month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes I'll use part of it for a bigger purchase that I've been needing, but more often it goes in savings for family vacations and/or anything else that comes up during the year.

I tend to use work bonuses / overtime pay to fund my tri purchases.
Quote Reply
Re: Income tax time in Canada = New goodies? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
A good chunk will just go into savings but I am thinking of picking up a Garmin Inreach for my gravel and trail running/hiking adventures.

'savings' ? what the fuck are those.
blowin' the wad on my kids sports ..AGain!! ALthough comes back to me in a few years in form of Div 1 athletic scholarships so all good
Quote Reply
Re: Income tax time in Canada = New goodies? [ale_ers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the advice!!
I have not ordered it yet, but I will wait and see what Garmin says come April. I'm not in a huge rush as there are no races yet so a month or even 2 won't hurt.

Cheers!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tax refund goes back into RRSP. Buy goodies any time of the year if I can afford them and justify them. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Income tax time in Canada = New goodies? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'll get a few thousand back (daycare and RRSP contributions), but I won't buy anything extravagant. I need a new jersey and another pair of shorts, and something nice for my wife. The rest will go to savings/debt.

You need swim lessons!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Income tax time in Canada = New goodies? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

You need swim lessons!!!

I don’t disagree..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Income tax time in Canada = New goodies? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any refund I get goes towards my real estate taxes. Isn't Illinois great?

In fairness, it's February and I've already purchased:
- a new cross bike, for those keeping track this is bike number seven
- a new road helmet, this is helmet number six
- new bibs, I have God knows how many pairs of bibs
- shoe covers - thrown into the pile of shoe covers
- two pairs of gloves - thrown into the glove drawer
- my 2021 team kit with custom gilet
- a saddle bag
- a bunch of bike tools
- a set of tires - added to the pile of rubber that's aging until the time is right
- a few pairs of socks
- a new seatpost, saddle and bar tape for the gravel bike
- lots of other small parts like brake pads and chains just in case it's hard to get supplies this year.

I clearly have a bike stuff problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to pay....... Damn it.

If I were you I would keep the 920 and just get the quick release so much better and save so much $$$. once you buy that 530 you lost half the price and your 920 is great tells you just what you need to know.

power, heartrate, time, speed, distance. everything else is meaning less.

but if you like new things go nuts your money.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Income tax time in Canada = New goodies? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Tax refund goes back into RRSP. Buy goodies any time of the year if I can afford them and justify them. :)

Bingo x 💯
Quote Reply
Re: Income tax time in Canada = New goodies? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I’m just using my 910xt as my head unit for this year. I’ve thought about upgrading a few times, but the main thing I need is simply recording and not a lot of metrics in-ride, it’s fine.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Income tax time in Canada = New goodies? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmmmm.
I do like new things, but I also like money lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a Caledonia 105! Had already bought the 1 Zipp 303s. Now waiting for the front one to come from our local bike shop. That wheel along will eat up 150% of the expected refund.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply