Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

In the market for a training bike
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market looking for a good solid training bike. I'm going to use it to ride nearly ~40miles (round-trip) everyday for my commute and then whatever training I can put in on top of that.

I don't want a "commuter" bike, but rather something nice that I'm going to enjoy riding every single day.

So far I've looked at some used Trek OCLVs, some used Bianchi EV2/EV3 Aluminums, and a few others. I'm looking to spend ~2,000 and pick up a fairly top-end used road bike.

Does anyone have any suggestions on bikes to keep an eye out for or places other than Ebay or the online classified to look at?

Thanks
Brian from WA
Quote Reply
Re: In the market for a training bike [Brian from WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can check Roadbikereview.com as well. How about your LBS? Issues with buying used always relate to fit. You're going to be on this bike quite a lot. Buying used is a risk if you don't know exactly what your fit needs are.
Quote Reply
Re: In the market for a training bike [chrismaginn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at all the review sites online and have also met with my LBS and my mentor/coach/adviser/motivator and figured out my sizing for quite near any frame, so the fit needs are taken care of.

I'm more worried about not having broad enough horizons on frames/bikes to look at.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget to ask all of your biking buddies. You'd be supprised what you can come up with.

By the way, I assume you are looking for a "road" bike, as opposed to to "tri" bike. Is this correct?

What size are you looking for?

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubt that many would agree with me, but I love my Cannondale Cyclocross bike, front suspension with a suspension seatpost. I think when I bought it a couple of years ago it was in the $1400 range. I have tough tires loaded with selfselant. I have added a rear rack. I do not look too cool, but it is extremely functional and comfortable and I do fine on group rides (except in the winter I usually get stuck with putting others extra clothing in the rack pack I carry). It is safer and if there were more cyclocross races I would love to do more of that in the off season. I also hope to do a few short touring trips on it. I equate getting on my race bike (which is cool) with a baseball batter taking the donut off of his bat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two friends commute on cyclocross bikes. One on a Kona, the other does messaging on a Ti-cycles titanium. If you're commuting in western Wa I highly recommend mavic ceramic rims. They brake way better in the rain and last longer.
Quote Reply
Re: In the market for a training bike [Vita-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely looking for a dedicated "road" bike and am trying to stay away from cyclocross bikes. I am planning on training with a local cycling team during the late fall/winter/early spring and thus a "road" bike is definitely the bike of choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian,

Here are my thoughts (rambling as they may be):

1. It's called Cyclocross and it's the perfect fall sport for cyclists and triathletes.

2. I commute 18 miles (each way) in Portland, OR.

3. Get a GOOD Cyclocross bike and you'll have the following advantages:

--Ability to do a new kind of racing

--Very durable bike which doesn't weigh much (you can get one that weighs under 19 pounds for your price range)

--FENDERS...An absolute requirement when commuting or training in the rain. You'll be amazed how much more enjoyable the rides will be.

Here's my recommendation...Contact Sacha White at Vanilla Bicycles and have a custom Vanilla built and slap on some Centaur components (you'll be closer to your price goal than you might expect).

If not, visit cyclocrossworld.com and get a CCX bike from them (good prices and an excellent selection of frames). Don't forget to get a bike which has bottle mounts (many top end CCX racing bikes do not have them).

Seriously, it's a no-brainer. I've got a lot of bikes, but my CCX bike gets used the most (commuting, winter/wet weather training, CCX racing, fire roads when I don't have my MTB, running errands, etc.). If you get a good bike, you'll enjoy riding it as much as any of the road bikes you are considering.

Don't even think about a Bianchi XL...Those things have more failures at the welds than any large manufacturer (seriously, my Team had 7 bikes fail last season--steel and aluminum).

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gunnar Roadie, $650 frame only. Steel's real!

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: In the market for a training bike [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take the cyclocross info into consideration and also thanks a ton for the info on the Bianchi - looks like I'm staying away from that. I'd heard this a few times, but dismissed it as fifth- and sixth-hand rumors.

I'll give Vanilla a call and see what shakes out.
Quote Reply
Re: In the market for a training bike [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steel is definitely real and it's moved to the top of my short list quite rapidly. After searching and a bunch of phone calls so far today, steel has become the major player.

I've become fascinated with Sycip bicycles http://www.sycip.com

I really like their Pave with the carbon seat stays. Does anyone have any experience with Sycip bicycles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a road cyclist by background. You'll have no trouble riding a cross bike with a group (just swap out the knobby tires for a road tire...For winter training/commuting, I recommend the terrible-riding, but impenetrable Specialized Armadillos in 700x25c.

I regularly do 100 mile rides with my team on my CCX bike. Once again...A no brainer.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size are you looking for?

Forgot to mention that some people use the classifieds here on slowtwitch and start their post with WTB (I assume that stands for Want to Buy).

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a training bike last year. I wanted something a little heavier than my race bike, but didn't want to get dropped by my buddies. I decided that Reynolds 853 Steel was the ticket. Purchased a KHS Flite 800 for $899 with Tiagra components and swapped them out for 105s left over from upgrading my race bike to DA. I added a Profile jammer bar to it. I got it at www.bikeswholesale.com.

I just checked to make certain they are still in business.Their service was good. It has worked perfectly for me — I can hang with the peloton. In fact, it took a hard lick when it flew off my trunk mounted bike rack on I-55 at 60 mph. I had forgotten to tie it down. I had to replace the rear wheel, but the bike was unscratched.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out www.gvhbikes.com some of the fprices are pretty reasonable. For instance: Colnago Classic (steel) veloce/mirage for 1300, Cdale CAD5 frame 750 (+Ultegra kit including wheels for 910)

Quote | Reply
Brian,
I have this problem that I truly am a stubborn SOB. Consequently, I refuse to consider/ride a bike with a plastic rear end. Thus, my list of dream bikes is now short of Landshark and Sycip, as they offer them and claim that it improves something (worse, Sycip also offers aluminum). However, if you happen to be into technological "advances", I think you'll be very pleased with a Pave'. The Sycip brothers are a fine bunch, and they can build bikes!

If you think you can go "all steel", there's another option. You've heard of the Salsa "Petaluma built La Raza"? Well Salsa changed hands and moved to the mid-west, but their builder (Sean Walling) stayed in Petaluma and started Soulcraft. There's a Royale in my collimator ...

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just took delivery of my new road bike. A custom steel-carbon frame from Ti Cycles. If you go with Ultegra and straight steel with no add-ons it comes close to 2k$.
Quote Reply