Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars...
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really sure what the purpose of that whole thing was. I admit, I am horrible at reading between the lines on things like this. Was it about gun control? is he actually mad about some person riding on their aerobars in public? is he just bored and needed something to write about? slow news day?
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol... "gel guzzling pathlete"

author Eben Weiss is the writer behind bikesnobnyc... He got a lot of laughs regularly and casually roasting e-bikes, fixie bikes without brakes, triathletes and dentists on pinarellos

His blog was witty and low key. Then Outside magazine hired him and some people not used to his blogger style musings found it too rambling... This looks like he was pushed to give an article an angle to make it look half way editorial

Hopefully no councillor takes his faux rants seriously
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to ban Outside Magazine.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just mad I wasted my time reading that dumb article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a tongue in cheek article, not to be taken seriously. He does have a point re use of aerobars on busy or shared use paths though - it's pretty dumb cycling fast on the bars in an environment where you may need to brake or swerve suddenly. Similar to using a fixie without brakes anywhere other than a track.

Re the point about why do we need aerobars at all, I guess that genie is out of the bottle now. Ban them and you've got a large number of (expensive) bikes that are now illegal, the police have better things to do than tracking them all down. And would probably just lead to more people using "invisible aerobars" where they just rest their elbows on the bars, which is arguably more dangerous than having a properly supportive set of bars.
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard riding aero on walking paths and cycle lanes is an approved method to improve bike handling skills.
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [Jurislas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a surefire method to piss people off, and a great way to put yourself and others in hospital!
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
- it's pretty dumb cycling fast on the bars in an environment where you may need to brake or swerve suddenly. Similar to using a fixie without brakes anywhere other than a track.

Some cyclists do a lot dumb things. Aerobars or not. The only way to prevent that is to ban cycling altogether. I often ride on a multi use path. It’s very easy to be safe. I slow the f***k down and stay out of the aerobars until I’m in an area where I can safely be in aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...crowded public recreational space at peak hour..."

I frequently bike in a place nearly dedicated to bikes ("le triangle de Vincennes"), a quiet triangle a 3+ km of road clearly identified as a "piste cyclable". No cars, no motorbikes. In the middle of a big park.

Config 1 : From monday to friday, mostly bikes, whatever the speed, all in the same direction. If you go slow, keep right. If faster, you overtake, no issue mostly.

Config 2 : During the week end, if weather is nice, it become that : "crowded public recreational space at peak hour". Runners, people walking around, dogs, children running after dogs, dogs running after children running after balls... and massive quantity of bikes riding opposite side, especially on the narrow spaces.

Aero bar is not a problem in config 1.

Training with a bike (except may be recuperation) is a problem in config 2.

Problem is not aerobar. It is not bikes. Or riders. It is not runners, or dogs, or childs. Or balls.

Problem is the inevitable percentage of assholes in a population. You find them amongst the riders, runners, walkers (notice I exclude dogs and childs - under 12).

Fast aerobar in crowd is stupid
Fast biking in crowd is stupid
Crossing a lane, walking or running, or biking, while not checking is stupid
Crossing lane voluntarily to force rider group to stop is very stupid
Riding opposite way just to prove "I do what I want" is very stupid

Some behaviors are (very) stupid. Obvious ? Yes, obvious, but still frequent.

The more peoples, the more assholes, the more danger.

I avoid config 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clickbait. We already know people who recklessly speed on any type of equipment on a MUP or greenway is a douche.

Don't need articles calling out aerobars to take beating the dead horse further. It's bikes, e-bikes, TT bikes......anything going at a speed at odds with children and pets present.

Get a spine and get on the road. I've started flagging local greenway segments that are flat or downhill. Uphill, sure, but people TT'ing at 28 mph for a greenway KOM is quite absurd. Even more absurd, I've heard of people pacelining a greenway ride. Seriously?

Get out the popcorn though........I think the bike leg is too easy for flatter tri's. No reason someone with only 150w can cruise along at speeds like that. That 56 or 112 needs to be worked for. I think they should adjust the bike split cutoff times by course elevation, make the flatter course cutoff times an entire hour shorter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see aerobars banned from use on the multi-use paths/trails in my area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only one solution.
Build lots of velodromes across the country. Central Park def needs one
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love assholes to be banned from multi-use path/trails in my area.
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Don't ban aerobars. Ban idiots.
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does not work 100%

There is the same percentage of assholes in Velodrome. Many friends send to hospital, sometimes for more than a year, by velodrome assholes.

"Oh, look it is funny to run high in the curves.... how slow can I go....oh dear, I'm slipping... oh, just crashed with the group running at blue line... and now with the group at black line.... oh, nice, just a bit burned on my leg and arm.... what ? 3 peoples to hospital... bad luck... let's go back high in curves "

OK, no dog or child or ballons.
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how long is the half life of an idiot before they realise that there are better places to throw down some watts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This a perfect "troll" article. I found it funny but quite frankly Outside magazine sucks. They are just an overly political and not too entertaining (or useful) rag.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the author:
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2018/10/lets-get-aero.html
'Here's a new Outside column about banning aerobars that you should of course take 100% literally:"

Do you guys even sarcasm?

Also: Saddle's too high.

Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Does not work 100%

There is the same percentage of assholes in Velodrome. Many friends send to hospital, sometimes for more than a year, by velodrome assholes.

"Oh, look it is funny to run high in the curves.... how slow can I go....oh dear, I'm slipping... oh, just crashed with the group running at blue line... and now with the group at black line.... oh, nice, just a bit burned on my leg and arm.... what ? 3 peoples to hospital... bad luck... let's go back high in curves "

OK, no dog or child or ballons.

You have a poorly managed velodrome. At mine, behavior is well-policed.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 17, 18 18:14
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh the author uses logical fallacies like the straw man. I do myself sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like everything in life - commonsense needs to be the guide, but as we know commonsense is a scarce commodity these days.

Aero bars used in Time Trials, in triathlon races or in appropriate and safe times/places when riding a triathlon bike - yes.!

On fitness paths, in car traffic, on group rides - no!

There . . easy, right? :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know of WAY more people crashing on road bikes (packs/paceline) than I do on tri bikes. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Exactly. Don't ban aerobars. Ban idiots.

Right! Don’t ban assault rifles or bump stocks. Ban idiots.
Quote Reply
Re: In other news...Outside Magazine article wants to ban Aerobars... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is very well managed, but assholes are creatives and strike fast. They can invent something new and strike immediately.

Sort of a super power. They are hidding in shadow and.... too late
Quote Reply