Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo
Quote | Reply
I didn't hear about her until yesterday's race, but she made her marathon debut last year. She does have some an impressive middle distance running history and she's also a former pro triathlete. I can't help but compare her to Jorgensen. Maybe there's some hope for jorgensen?

https://runningmagazine.ca/...hon-record-in-22450/

Great day for Canada with the Canadian record for 13.1 broken too.

Also impressive races from American women in both 13.1 and 26.2. I was hoping for Sarah Piampiano to break 2:45 and qualify, but she was just under 2 min off.
Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Malindi already raced for Canada at the 2004 Olympics in Athens in the 1500m and so had a classy pedigree in track before her time as a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very impressive race and especially for someone who has only been run focused training for 1-2 years after focusing mainly on triathlon training for the 2-3 years previously. To break the Canadian record in only her 2nd stand-alone marathon ever is really unheard of.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very impressive! Here's a photo I got of her around mile 22 running in the same group as my teammate Clay Emge (who ran 2:25!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great pace control and finished strong. impressive for any age or gender.

four and a bit 10Ks at 34:30 pace
Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vaporfly...... So that is like 2:29 in normal shoes?
Last edited by: synthetic: Jan 21, 20 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny.

Almost every runner in that photo is using the Vaporfly.
Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
great pace control and finished strong. impressive for any age or gender.

four and a bit 10Ks at 34:30 pace

Nasty nasty race and execution. Kudos.
Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Vaporfly...... So that is like 2:29 in normal shoes?

this is so stupid
Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. This is why we should not note times anymore but placing.. just as triathlon does
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I agree. This is why we should not note times anymore but placing.. just as triathlon does

I'm saying this idea that the shoes are worth 5 minutes is stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's a good follow on Strava...just a lot of hard work. I've known Malindi since shortly after she graduated from Stanford, so it's been fun to watch her progress through the early part of her running career, then triathlon, and now back to running. IINM, her husband, Graham Hood, coaches her.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Are you taking issue with the amount of time he credits the shoes with? Or the fact that he doesn’t accept the time at face value.

Even just a two percent improvement from the shoes is worth about three minutes. Many “experiments” indicate these shoes are closer to four to five percent faster - so he is in the ballpark.

Basically we need to have road records pre and post this new shoe technology.
Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Are you taking issue with the amount of time he credits the shoes with? Or the fact that he doesn’t accept the time at face value.

Even just a two percent improvement from the shoes is worth about three minutes. Many “experiments” indicate these shoes are closer to four to five percent faster - so he is in the ballpark.

Basically we need to have road records pre and post this new shoe technology.

You even used the word experiments in quotes. I love it.

I just find it to be a bit ... whiny ... to be placing the great performances mostly in the shoes these athletes are wearing. All of a sudden this thread is about shoes and not about a great, record breaking, Canadian performance. It's just whiny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Records are broken every day in these shoes.. so yes it indeed diluted the achievement. I like the idea, pre and post record. Like merckx in bike world
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Records are broken every day in these shoes.. so yes it indeed diluted the achievement. I like the idea, pre and post record. Like merckx in bike world

Shoes have been getting better and better since they were first invented. Just because these shoes are a large step change in improvement doesn't make breaking records with them any different than any other records broken previously. If these shoes had come out 20 years from now they wouldn't be "4%" better than other current shoes and nobody would have a problem with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

So, they don't fit huh? Bummer...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
synthetic wrote:

So, they don't fit huh? Bummer...

Well played

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 days after sub 2 , seeing brigid kosgei broke the long standing women's 2:15 barrier - she not being so excited about it. I knew something was wrong. All the runners finishing races in these shoes not even fainting or sitting down from hard effort exhaustion. Meanwhile at cross country xc nationals, just a 10k runners wear barely able to move after the race
Last edited by: synthetic: Jan 21, 20 15:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
2 days after sub 2 , seeing brigid kosgei broke the long standing women's 2:15 barrier - she not being so excited about it. I knew something was wrong. All the runners finishing races in these shoes not even fainting or sitting down from hard effort exhaustion. Meanwhile at cross country xc nationals, I st a 10k runners wear barely able to move after the race

I get it, I don't think you can argue with the data on the shoe performance edge. Malindi's performance is still something special and is probably still record worthy. The canuck last record was set in 2019, firmly in the vaporfly era and before that it was 2:28:xx which is a ways off even with some extra bouncy kicks.

You were correct to compare it to cycling but just like in the hour record I think it would be a bad move to reset the record books backdated to old shoe tech. The whole "human effort/absolute record" approach effectively killed the appeal of the event. Ride the wave of records, enjoy the hype and remember the context. Paula Radcliffe's former record remains one of the single most absurd feats in endurance history, no shoe will change that.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like Clay is wearing 4% not next %?

And since I live in Bunkerhill I want to say that that is mile 17, but I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, Clay is in 4%. That is just east of Westcott.

And congrats to you on a great race as well!
Quote Reply
Re: Impressive Houston marathon by Malindi Elmore at 2:24:50 @39 yo [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Shoes have been getting better and better since they were first invented. Just because these shoes are a large step change in improvement doesn't make breaking records with them any different than any other records broken previously. If these shoes had come out 20 years from now they wouldn't be "4%" better than other current shoes and nobody would have a problem with them.

Swim suits and pools have been getting incrementally better each year too, but FINA still decided to ban the Lazer suit because it was just too big of a difference over a short period of time. Same with these shoes.

The very obvious jump in road times in the last three years is 100% due to the shoes. It isn’t due multiple factors that have changed over the years such as better training science, improved nutrition, more global competition, it is as simple as put on different shoes and break a record.

The first Sub 2 marathon ever? Not quite.
Quote Reply