Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Importing Routes to Simulate on my new Wahoo Kickr
Quote | Reply
So I just got the Kickr and am a bit overwhelmed by trying to understand how exactly to ride,on the Kickr, routes that either I create or have ridden onto apps. With TR, I'd need to convert to ERG/MRC file, which means I'd have to use Best Bike Split to get from GPX to ERG/MRC.

I have a RideWithGPS account so I can export the GPX there. Are there other apps that make this import easier? Just trying to import a route and go - may not be using all the time but would like to know how and not have to add to my app subscription base.
Quote Reply
Re: Importing Routes to Simulate on my new Wahoo Kickr [carosemena] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002688103-Importing-a-workout-from-BestBikeSplit
Quote Reply
Re: Importing Routes to Simulate on my new Wahoo Kickr [DM67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep saw that. Point of post was to avoid any additional subscriptions. I have:

1. RideWithGPS premium
2. TP Premium

Can any other apps do the conversion automatically? TCX --> ERG?
Quote Reply
Re: Importing Routes to Simulate on my new Wahoo Kickr [carosemena] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One reason I cant support Wahoo... is they used to have this great app called "segments" you could make a segment out of any ride in Strava and compete against yourself or another on the leadboard. It was not free and I was only able to take advantage of it for a very short time... then it got buggy as hell and left unsupported. Sold my kickr soon after that.

good luck finding something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just FYI - it will likely suck to try and ride a 'real-world' imported .gpx file converted so you can ride the elevation map or even follow the power chart.

When I imported rides into perfpro (via bestbikesplit), there were tons of small little rollers that last for 1-3 seconds only, but which will basically render your ride terrible as your Kickr will be spiking every time you hit them. It feels totally unnatural, nothing like the real world, and ruins the ride completely. I even used the 'smoothing' function in perfpro several times, but it could never get it right.

I suspect this is a big reason why you don't hear of many folks enjoying re-riding their epic routes on the Kickr despite having really good GPS traces.

You would be better off (and likely get close enough for great training) by manually entering in estimated segments to match the key climbs on your route rather than importing them, and shouldn't take too long, as you probably won't be entering more than 15 segments.
Quote Reply
Re: Importing Routes to Simulate on my new Wahoo Kickr [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good info. But some apps do have their own routes/races you can ride (so long as they're popular enough I assume)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the apps are a much better way to go to ride courses. I haven't used one regularly to recommend, unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: Importing Routes to Simulate on my new Wahoo Kickr [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
best app recommendation? best app library?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 l like Rouvy. They have a free trial so give it a look. You can pick a course and virtual competitor from a list of prior course finishers times. Humbling.

l also use Zwift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Software and videos from Veloreality . Great collection of road videos with the highest quality. Avelable in HD and 4K. Some unaltered screenshots straight from the videos are here: https://veloreality.com/...ia/SCR_HD/index.html . The software and couple of demo videos are free. Rest of the videos cost money. It automatically records your performances over segments so you can race against your previous rides. You can also race/ride together with your buddies over the Internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carosemena wrote:
yep saw that. Point of post was to avoid any additional subscriptions. I have:

1. RideWithGPS premium
2. TP Premium

Can any other apps do the conversion automatically? TCX --> ERG?

Understood that you don't want to tack on additional subscriptions - they add up. However, Best Bike Split gives you unlimited downloads as a premium member, so you could possibly just subscribe for one month and download a ton of routes, and then just cancel your subscription. I think you get a 50% discount as a TP Premium member too. This is what I did last year for my "A" HIM race - I wanted to ride my target power profile a few weeks out on the trainer - well worth the $19 or whatever it was, and I still have a number of other routes that I downloaded as well.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Importing Routes to Simulate on my new Wahoo Kickr [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know if I can upload a best bike split erg file into Trainingpeaks? The reason I ask is because I use the Elment to control the Kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What head unit are you using on your bike? Just a smartphone or do you have a Garmin / Wahoo device?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxPuFIotzKE&t=477s

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out this thread

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6384048
Quote Reply
Re: Importing Routes to Simulate on my new Wahoo Kickr [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Wahoo Bolt and also have Garmin FR35! Thank you!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Importing Routes to Simulate on my new Wahoo Kickr [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think TP supports .erg format for workout uploads but you could probably upload a .tcx file. The link below explains how to do it- I just tried for about a minute but couldn't get it to work - but that's probably just user error on my part.

https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/204072994-How-do-I-manually-Upload-a-workout-file-into-TrainingPeaks-

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - point is not to upload to TP but rather to apps/websites in which I can immediately ride a route I've ridden/created.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, this was in response to TriathlonJoe's question

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have many options if you want to recreate a route. Easiest way, if you have an Element or Garmin computer, you can load the route into your bike computer and ride it using your KICKR. However, you won't see a fancy map on a big screen.

Other apps you can use: Rouvy (only available for Windows), Bkool Simulator, Kinomap, and Tacx Training app (Windows)

I did a step by step instruction on the Bkool simulator here:
https://www.smartbiketrainers.com/...bkool-simulator-3237

I personally don't find riding real courses beneficial. I think you are better off doing specific training to prep you for the demand of the course rather than virtually riding the course.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply