Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you?
Quote | Reply
I've mostly run in Brooks Ghost and Launch for the last year or two. No real issues but I wanted to find something better. Got a pair of Kinvara and I love the way they feel. I'm still spending time adapting to a lower drop but just putting them on, they feel so much better.

I'd love to find another shoe that I could rotate with the Kinvara. Launch will suffice but I'd like to find something that fits a bit better.

If you use the Kinvara, what else works for you? I'd love to find something that was maybe a bit more cushioned.

I tried the Saucony Ride, Triumph and Zealot but none feel good. I tried New Balance Vongo, 1080, Vazee and Zante. Only the Zante worked. Hoka felt a bit too narrow, I believe I tried the Clifton 2. I've also run in 3 or 4 different models of Pearl Izumi but they didn't work.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have multiple pairs of kinvaras I rotate threw. I love them!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rotate between Kinvara, Hoka Clifton, and Mizuno Sayanora. These Mizuno are my favorite
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rotate between Nike Air Pegasus and Kinvaras. Definitely like the Kinvaras better but my feet start hurting if I wear them for every run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race in a Fast Twitch 7 and rotate my Kinvaras in training with the Hoka Clayton. I was really surprised at how good the latter option felt as I have been a Hoka skeptic for quite some time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: my wife works for Topo athletic and I get shoes from time to time, also an ambassador, I rotate the fly lytes which I really like for easy runs.

I just bought a pair of brooks pure flow 5s and love them as well. So I rotate 3 pairs of kinvaras, pure flows and fly lytes. Like them all and all feel very similar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Freedom ISO
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Saucony and if you like kinvara you more than likely will love the Zealot. The Triumph is nice too but honestly probably too much shoe if you like the kinvara. I have the Zealots and Triumph and use the zealots mainly as they feel awesome. Triumps feel a little clunky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
altra "the one" 2._

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my Kinvara's for speed workouts, and I use my Hoka Conquest for long runs. I recently bought a pair of Clifton 3s I will add to the mix.
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:
Race in a Fast Twitch 7 and rotate my Kinvaras in training with the Hoka Clayton. I was really surprised at how good the latter option felt as I have been a Hoka skeptic for quite some time.

I really want to try the Clayton because I heard they're a little wider than the Clifton. Can't find them in any stores around me however. Have you tried the Clifton for some comparison, because I've tried those before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Freedom ISO

Because they're so damn expensive I've restrained myself from even trying them on. They look really nice though.
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericallenboyd wrote:
I love Saucony and if you like kinvara you more than likely will love the Zealot. The Triumph is nice too but honestly probably too much shoe if you like the kinvara. I have the Zealots and Triumph and use the zealots mainly as they feel awesome. Triumps feel a little clunky.

As I mentioned in the OP I tried the zealot and triumph. Neither of them felt good just sitting there. They felt too narrow and constricting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
Freedom ISO

Because they're so damn expensive I've restrained myself from even trying them on. They look really nice though.

Yes, they are too damn expensive. I bought them for 20% off, and they were still ridiculous. They're very nice though - feel just like the Kinvara 8 with a touch more support and cushioning.
Last edited by: craigj532: Mar 18, 17 23:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
teichs42 wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
Freedom ISO

Yes, they are too damn expensive. I bought them for 20% off, and they were still ridiculous. They're very nice though - feel just like the Kinvara 8 with a touch more support and cushioning.

Damn, that sounds like what I want. Maybe I'll have to try them on and figure out how to afford them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a pair from ShoeMall...30%off on St Pattys made it palatable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
alaska848 wrote:

I really want to try the Clayton because I heard they're a little wider than the Clifton. Can't find them in any stores around me however. Have you tried the Clifton for some comparison, because I've tried those before.

Be careful, Claytons are a know blister machine. So much so the Clayton 2s out next month were re-designed around preventing the arch blisters. If you can find a deal on the Kona Clayton those are slightly less blistery, but still has happened to me on 8+ mile runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never ran in the Clifton. This is the first Hoka I've ran in since the original platform like models came out (didn't care for them). Another poster referenced blistering. My first run in the Clayton was 15 miles with no issues. Not sure if I got lucky or the 21 years I spent ruck marching in Army boots finally paid off! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the new Saucony ISO Freedom for my long runs, a bit more cushioning and a tad heavier but a great shoe. I also have a pair of the Zealots. I do tempo runs and racing in Kinvaras
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the freedom iso. If hoka clinftons had the same heel I think i could get 400 more miles off the 250 I get on kinvaras. (i do not have the longevity factor on the ISOs bc I rotate tons of pairs of shoes bc strava made me realize I get shit returns on investment with saucony and new balance which fit my f-ed up feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x 2. They are a really nice compliment to the Kinvara for longer stuff. I weigh 76kg and do most of my running in the Freedom and race in the Kinvara.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X 2, same same on this combo and the mizunos becoming my favourite too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the Salming EnRoute is essentially a Kinvara repeat. Very similar weight, drop, total stack and I think fit. Havent ran in it but I like the Kinvara and came across that shoe last week as a shoe I'll probably rotate in when I need a new pair of shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For fast runs and races I like either the kinvaras or sketchers gorunrides. On my third pair of sketchers and like them more and more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love Kinvaras but rotate them with Brooks Launches and Pure Connects. The Pure Connects are my favorite race shoe up
In Reply To:
to hm. Fast and snappy. Kinvaras are my long day and mary distance shoe.
Quote Reply

Prev Next