Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If you ride stationary in the aero position...
Quote | Reply
...and you watch something on a screen...

1. what do you do differently, position-wise, on your tri bike indoors verses outdoors?
2. how LARGE is the screen, and where is it, relative to you? straight ahead of you? angled down? to the side? on the ceiling?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: If you ride stationary in the aero position... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Nothing

2. 42" situated appx 5ft in front of handlebars about 18" off ground, angled slightly up l,
Allowing for identical head position as good outdoor riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it rarely, and I haven't done it in a long time, but....

1) I try and keep my position as close to the same as possible by:

2) Using a 13" laptop that I put on a chair in front of me, and angle it up such that it is in the line of about where I reckon I'd be looking at the road when I'm turtling. I then move it as close to me as I can whilst keeping it on that line of sight and use Bluetooth headphones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Nothing. Although I notice my bits get numb more often when I ride aero on my trainer vs. outdoors

2) My 13" MacBook, right in front of my aerobars with the center of the screen at aerobar height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as James, my TV is mounted very close to the floor about 4 feet from the front of the bike. It's a big flatscreen, probably 42"

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: If you ride stationary in the aero position... [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:

2) Using a 13" laptop that I put on a chair in front of me, and angle it up such that it is in the line of about where I reckon I'd be looking at the road when I'm turtling. I then move it as close to me as I can whilst keeping it on that line of sight and use Bluetooth headphones.

and is that straight ahead? or, 20 or 30 or 40 degrees down from horizontal? (straight down being 90 degrees from horizontal.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Primary screen is about 4 feet in front, and about 2 feet off the ground (laptop) for perfpro.

Do keep sufferfest on a TV off to the side occasionally, but that's more audio and something to glance at more then watching.

So position stays pretty much the same(I don't turtle indoors though)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
rmt wrote:

and is that straight ahead? or, 20 or 30 or 40 degrees down from horizontal? (straight down being 90 degrees from horizontal.)

It's been a while, but probably around 30 degrees down.
Last edited by: rmt: Nov 20, 18 17:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Nothing different. Old tri bike with similar saddle and fit as I ride outside.

2. Maybe a 42" tv. It's on an old bed side table so it's not very high. My head is probably about the same height as the top of the tv when in the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Nothing different.
2. Computer monitor is directly in front of me at eye level so that when I'm in aero I have to look up with my eyes to see it, just as if I were looking down the road outdoors.

ETA:

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Last edited by: asellerg: Nov 20, 18 17:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

1. what do you do differently, position-wise, on your tri bike indoors verses outdoors?
2. how LARGE is the screen, and where is it, relative to you? straight ahead of you? angled down? to the side? on the ceiling?

1. Nothing different. I try to maintain the same position, though I probably tilt my head up slightly to watch Zwift or TV.
2. 50" TV straight in front of me, about 6' away with the base 3' off the ground. The middle of the screen is about 4.5' off the ground.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I don’t wear a helmet indoors, and I think that contributes to fatigue on long aero rides outdoors.

2. I stream Netflix on my computer screen positioned about 2.5 feet in front of me and angled down at about the same angle I’d use looking at the road ahead while riding in aero outdoors. The computer monitor is 23 inch diagonal. I use bluetooth headphones when on the trainer or the treadmill to keep the noise level down. And inspired by Herbert’s article about buying a used Woodway treadmill, I got one of those right next to the trainer.

https://share.icloud.com/...tj0gWCAnuz3XIOjiKCIQ

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Last edited by: SharonMcN: Nov 20, 18 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fan blowing on me from the right, only in trishorts, towel across aerobars, 13" laptop directly in front of me, on zwift, and perfectly square, to me. It drives me crazy of my screen is facing the slightest left or right, haha. Even the styrofoam cooler it sits on has to be square.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Last edited by: timr: Nov 20, 18 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

1. As little as possible.
2. (see pic) Two 22"? 24"? screens, one straight ahead, usually with Spotify or a podcast, and one below, angled slightly up, with Zwift. I would like them to be a bit further away but I'm outta space. The lower screen probably has to be a bit lower in order to be fully able to watch it while riding turtled.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Last edited by: Richard Blaine: Nov 20, 18 18:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I use the same tribike setup on the trainer as I do outdoors. Why would one want two different setups on the tribike?
2. Use a 24 inch PC monitor about 3.5-4 feet in front and about 30 degrees downward. Rode Computrainer for 14 years until this year (wahoo kickr core now) and that is why a PC monitor was utilized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Nothing different position wise. Don’t hold it for as long.

2. Watch either:
- trainer road with power output on phone
- ice hockey on phone
- Netflix on iPad

All located down about same height as top of wheel off to the rhs in front of me, laying flat on a table.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indoor position: as close to the outdoor position as I can get

screen: 42" TV on the floor straight in front of me tilted 20 deg back by placing a 4x4 under the front of the stand. I stream from the internet on my iPad. I could stream zwift too, but I haven't been swept up in the zwift vortex yet

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a perfect world, I would move my TV down about 18 inches, but that is not practical. in the same room, I have a treadmill and for that, I want the TV at eye level.
42" TV, about 8 feet in front of my handlebars.
I find that I am only glancing up every several seconds, not really watching the TV continuously. More important I have good sound, as i am usually following some type of workout... spinervals, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Zwift rig is quite compact:

QR PR6 on an Elite Direto
Zwift on a 9.5 inch iPad Pro mounted on a photography light stand with a dedicated tablet clamp. The screen is tilted slightly up and sits right off the end of my aerobars. I have it low enough that my neck position is the same as my most turtled tuck, but my eyeline is straight to the center of the screen (i.e. I don’t have to look “upward” to see the screen). I can ride this position all day.

Sometimes I will stick my iPhone against the iPad and stream a video at the same time.

I thought about getting a bigger screen, mounted permanently, but this setup works so well and is quickly moveable or storable that I don’t see any need to change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Nothing different on the bike trainer vs outdoor. My setup is my setup.

I use a macbook pro 15" which is slightly lower than aerobars, which is about the same spot as where I would look while riding outside. I try quite hard to simulate the racing position and experience. I seldom watch anything other than my Trainer Road display so I can feel the PE that I need to during races.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Nothing. But maybe that’s why I haven’t head so high! But mostly watch like I would on the road.

2. 13 in. laptop right in front of me on laptop stand. Allows me access to change movies/shows/Zwift.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

1. I try not to do anything differently, but I don't stay in aero the entire time.
2. I have a 13" MacBook and it is situated in front of me on a work bench I built in my garage. It is pretty level with where my extensions are so I scoot the bike as close to the bench as possible and the MacBook sits approx. 1' past that. I'd say its pretty much in front of me, but when I am leaned over on the extensions I have to look slightly up.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: If you ride stationary in the aero position... [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhhnald!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. nothing different, the only difference would be the towel across the bars
2. usually i will have my laptop to the side with Zwift running and Netflix or some thing playing on the TV. I use the TV for the treadmill and the squat rack as well so cant really keep it low to the ground. Its a old 51inch TV that is on its last legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

1-To be honest, even though my 'trainer bike' is set up exactly the same (Jamis xenith vs nP3) in terms of my fit (or at least pretty darn close), I don't often ride in aero while on the trainer. I usually do race specific practice outside. When I do ride in aero inside, it's specifically to mimic outdoor race practice, and yet I am too lazy to change the setup. So, my front wheel remains on the riser. Fans from both R and L and my wireless mouse and keyboard with extension sitting next to me. I can reach anything I need on a stand next to the bike-nutrition/hydration. My position in aero is not significantly different from aero race position for tri's. But it takes work to hold it due to back/shoulder/neck injuries previously. It is something to be worked on this 'off season'. I also don't keep my head down to drink etc.

2-The screen is 20x12. My screen is set up to eye level, about a foot-directly in front of me, with my front wheel up on the riser about 4-5 inches off the ground. It is angled away from me with the top set slightly further away because it causes less glare from the lights in my office where the trainer is set up. And the screen almost always has Zwift on it, not a movie or anything else.
Last edited by: dtoce: Nov 20, 18 19:41
Quote Reply

Prev Next