Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you have $500, Front Wheel Recommendation Plz
Quote | Reply
I have a $500 budget to buy a front-wheel; what do you recommend?

Use Case:
  • Triathlon: 1: Olympic,70.3, & Full per year
  • SpeedConcept
  • Me...180 lbs
  • Back Wheel Zipp 808

I cannot afford a Zipp or Big Ticket Carbon Wheel right now, so I am looking for the best use of $500 to get a Clincher - Rim Brake front wheel.

Maybe a Carbon / Alloy wheel OR Alloy wheel OR ???

Thank you in advance for your recommendations and links to specific options, Tom
Last edited by: iwas9409: Apr 11, 21 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: If you have $500, Front Wheel Recommendation Plz [iwas9409] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Figure out what you want, and look to buy used from ST classifieds, ebay, The Pro’s Closet, etc. If you are patient, what you want will become available. Rim brake wheels especially
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sell your zipp rear 404 and get a set of 60s or 60/90 set.

Hed jet or flo.

You definitely don't want a deeper front than the rear
Quote Reply
Re: If you have $500, Front Wheel Recommendation Plz [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...I typed my rear wheel in wrong. I have a Zipp 808 on the rear. (not 404)
Quote Reply
Re: If you have $500, Front Wheel Recommendation Plz [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Figure out what you want...

Thanks for the response Waingro. Hoping to find out for you all what I should want/need and can afford and then I can start looking

I am not well versed in wheels, options, costs, etc.

Looking for advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hed jet 6 plus, shop around, keep an eye on the used sites/classifieds, and you'll hopefully find one within your budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Figure out what you want, and look to buy used from ST classifieds, ebay, The Pro’s Closet, etc. If you are patient, what you want will become available. Rim brake wheels especially

^^^^This.

I paid under $1000 for my new HED 6+ set (so a used front would be <<$500).

Lots of folks are getting disc brake frames and selling off rim brake aero wheels . Gotta believe you could get a used 404 or 808 firecrest for $500.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: If you have $500, Front Wheel Recommendation Plz [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
...You definitely don't want a deeper front than the rear
Why not, other than aesthetics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: If you have $500, Front Wheel Recommendation Plz [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My friend purchased it recently, that's a good choice.
Quote Reply
Re: If you have $500, Front Wheel Recommendation Plz [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

I recently gave away an almost brand new Flo 90 front. Living in Kansas, the winds are often 30-40+ mph, and the wheel totally sucks, in anything worse than 20mph. It likes to stall, and was a crash waiting to happen. I couldn’t imagine getting caught in a windy race situation... and would NOT want to be racing near someone like myself, in high winds, with that deep of a front wheel. I also did some pretty extensive personal TT’s with the 90, vs my Roval 50’s and Rolf 32’s, and the difference wasn’t discernible enough (at my level) to continue to ride a wheel, that I felt was quite unsafe for my abilities.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: If you have $500, Front Wheel Recommendation Plz [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oof. That plus a wheelcover for the 404 and that's a great wheel setup for an additional $350.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: If you have $500, Front Wheel Recommendation Plz [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that's an argument against a deep front but that wasn't my query. The other poster said "You definitely don't want a deeper front than the rear" and I don't know why that might be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I understand having a deeper front wheel changes the centre of pressure making the front more unstable. Same reasoning as using a disc with a deep front wheel to create more pressure on the rear in cross winds.
This may be received wisdom. I've rode with a 4 spoke up front an a training wheel on the rear after a flat and it was rideable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Well that's an argument against a deep front but that wasn't my query. The other poster said "You definitely don't want a deeper front than the rear" and I don't know why that might be.

Tough crowd! You said you has an 82mm rear. If you went even deeper on the front, it would be 90mm. I was just giving personal experience, when I matched a deep back with the same deep front. It ended up being money I could have spent wiser, had someone told me why. I did it without much research, because I thought it would look bad ass. After 2 years on my bike, I gave up on it, just too many close calls and shitty rides in the wind.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Apr 12, 21 11:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

No, it's a handling issue. The OP originally said his rear was a 404, but later responded and said it is an 808. Having a front wheel deeper than the rear will cause handling issues. Especially if they were looking to put an 80 or 808 or 90 on the front.

But, since his front is an 808, it's not really an issue as having a same size wheel isn't an issue.

If you haven't done so, you would notice an issue riding a deeper front and shallower rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would I notice anything if I had a 50mm front wheel and a 30mm rear wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

No, it's a handling issue. The OP originally said his rear was a 404, but later responded and said it is an 808. Having a front wheel deeper than the rear will cause handling issues. Especially if they were looking to put an 80 or 808 or 90 on the front.

But, since his front is an 808, it's not really an issue as having a same size wheel isn't an issue.

If you haven't done so, you would notice an issue riding a deeper front and shallower rear.

While a deep front wheel will indeed move forward the neutral point or aerodynamic centre of the bike+rider combo (more useful than centre of pressure in this case), I don't think it's the primary issue people have with a deep front wheel. I think the main issue is that the front wheel is aerodynamically unstable around the steerer pivot and any increase in area has a proportionate effect on the steering moment produced by changes in wind speed or direction.
If the front wheel is deep enough to be problematic with a shallow rear wheel, it's still likely to be problematic with a deeper one. Some improvement yes, but it's not just a total system aerodynamic stability problem. That's superimposed on a front wheel specific steering problem. I think the two get conflated.

As for the total system aerodynamic stability proposition - It doesn't make sense to me that equal depths front and back is magically the point at which the problem goes away. Why is a slightly deeper front not ok or should we not all have rear wheels 50% deeper than the front?
What about the side area of the bike? I ride a Felt IA, so the bike's got plenty side area aside from the wheels. That seattube and seatpost gives me much more directional stability than most bike frames, but of course the wheels have much greater longitudinal distance from the centre of mass so are more significant, but my point is the system is being oversimplified into "front wheel must be shallower or equal to rear"
Last edited by: Ai_1: Apr 12, 21 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

GREAT tip!!!

I was able to purchase the front wheel clearance item.
Last edited by: iwas9409: Apr 18, 21 17:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Yup! Pinkbike occasionally too, but the ones listed by Waingro are best options for sure.

Zipp clincher firecrest 808 fronts are fast. And can find for cheap, often, since everyone is looking to make the move to disc brake, wider rims etc etc.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iwas9409 wrote:

GREAT tip!!!

I was able to purchase the front wheel clearance item before it sold out.
Woah crazy good deal. Glad you got it.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are not sold out of the clearance wheels. Still have some in stock.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply