Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If you could only have one bike to do it all (road rides and tris) what would you buy?
Quote | Reply
As per the title, if you could only have one bike to do club rides and 1-2 triathlons a year (sprint to Olympic) which bike would you pick and what components would you pick.

This is what I am thinking.

Cervelo Carbon Soloist or SLC-SL
Fork - Stock or maybe an upgrade to an aero fork?
Sram Red brifters, rear derailleur and power dome cassette 11-26
Dura-Ace front or Record front derailleur.
KCNC CB1 brake set.
Fizik Arione CX saddle - I love the feel of the Arione saddles.
American Classic Sprint 350 for training and HED Jet 60/90 for racing.
FSA carbon cranks with a 50/36
Speedplay SS
Oval Carbon stem
Oval Carbon aero drops
Oval Aerobar faceplate
Hed Cabon S-bend extensions.
KMC X10 SL Chain

The Oval parts would be like the set up that Dan has done on the front page as it just seems so simple and I could just swap out the face plates when race day comes if it ever does again.

Everything above is a must except the frame, forks and handlebar set up. Component wise other than the RED, I own everything already but just want a great frame, forks and cockpit to hang it all on.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by: Bman: Jul 27, 08 18:56
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike to do it all what would you buy? [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apparently, you already know the answer.

:)
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike to do it all what would you buy? [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo is not the only answer and I am curious about forks and a cockpit.

Is this the best way to go or are there other options that might be better.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike to do it all what would you buy? [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, the soloist is the only and best choice for discerning triathletes the world over who only want 1 bike.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike to do it all what would you buy? [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright I am a Cervelo lover like most on this site but it can not be the only option can it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, bman, it is the only option. sorry.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn I hate this site somedays. The Cervelo mafia has their grip way too tight on opinions. Does Gerard pay people! Life needs to be harder than this. Just because they won the Tour on these bikes does not mean they are the only bike out there right?
Last edited by: Bman: Jul 27, 08 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright anyone else have an opinion that was not paid off like Cyclisto!

Sell out ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can only have one bike it should be a cyclo-cross bike. Then, with just swapping of tires you could do tri's, road races, cyclo-x, and commute with one bike. You already have the compact crank, what are you waiting for?
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike to do it all what would you buy? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do not want to cross bike but just want a great road bike to ride and do maybe the odd triathlon.

Clip on's will be a must or some other set up like the oval.

So in regards to a road bike, What is best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd put the new Felt AR on the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a question with an invalid premise, therefore, there can be no correct answer.

You must have at the very least a track bike, a road bike an TT/Tri bike.
It is strongly recommended that you also own either a cyclocross bike or a mountain bike.

Commuters, fixies and travel bikes are optional but you will be looked down on if you don't have at least one bike from this category.
Last edited by: android: Jul 27, 08 16:35
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike to do it all what would you buy? [android] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not paid in any way by Cervelo! But I have a P3C and also had a Trek madone 5.5 thinking I would use one for tris and one for regular road rides but... ended up selling the Madone because I always wanted to ride the Cervelo over the road bike. I absolutely love the feel and comfort of the P3 so it has turned into my do it all bike. (I can't stand off roading so don't have to worry about that area!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look 486. I use it as my TT bike. Before I set it up as a TT bike, it was a great road bike.
Looks cool. Comfortable for whatever. It is a good bike. That is all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your choice looks fine. I'd ditch the carbon bars and stem. You will get no benefit (except maybe an excuse to 'upgrade' early when they break prematurely ;) ) and you will spend mucho bucks. I like the Oval non-anatomic shallow drop bars; very nice and comfy. The stem doesn't matter so much ... get something forged and aluminum and you will never have to think about it again.

As far as frames .... assuming the SLC/SL fits ... you can't do better.

BUt for grins ... I'll recommend the Look 586... in La Vie Claire colors. Just because it's cool.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/...ok/586-lookretro.jpg
"In case of flood climb to safety"
Last edited by: jcurtis: Jul 27, 08 17:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't you already have like 14 totally tricked out, uber-weightweenie rides in yer stable?
(apoogies if I'm mistaking you for another poster)

If so, isn't this just a really lame excuse to add n+1?

(not that there is anything wrong with that ;-)

To add something more constructive - I think aero forks are overrated.
When my Easton aero fork did it's suicide dive off the roof of my car on the way to IMLP, I was forced to replace it on the fly with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro. The latter is a much superior fork IMHO; the bike feels much more "planted" and stable w/ the Ouzo Pro, and my bike splits certainly don't seem to be the worse for it.

Given that you may or may not race tris, get a good handling all-purpose road fork and call it a day.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You left gumgum off the build list...

Looking at your RS2 I'd think it would be worth waiting to see the Felt AR. It sounds like the HT will be a bit taller than the SLC. It likely will be heavier than the SLC SL though. Of course - if SuperDave could hurry along the marketing people then we wouldn't have to speculate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it depends on whether or not you want to be able to run a flippable seatpost.

if you don't care about that, another option to consider is a ridley noah.

otherwise, a cervelo soloist carbon or slc-sl is probably your best choice.

indeed, that is what i recently bought.

[edit] i would go with a k-force light crank instead, with 52/36 rings, and i would get zero g NERD brake calipers.
Last edited by: tegra: Jul 27, 08 17:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually own my dream bike already.

2005 Litespeed Blade.

"Litespeed..............there is no substitute"

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with the other poster...

If you can only have 1 bike to do it all, it's a Cyclocross Bike. You may not like that answer, but it's the most logical choice. You can easily race a CCX bike on the road (it's done all Spring in Oregon by many racers...Even the 1-2s). Further, it can be ridden on any unpaved roads (great for adventure)...And, most importantly for a triathlete, you can race CCX on it (a perfect blend of running and riding for the off-season). BTW, you can also flip a post and drop on some clip-ons for the 2-3 triathlons you do each year.

Now, if you want durable, buy a Moots Titanium Psychlo-X built with Full Super Record 11-Speed (compact).

If you want sub-17 lbs, buy the new Scott Addict CCX (available this Fall) and build it with SRAM Red or Campy Super Record (compact).

Either way, the bike should have the following components:

1. Ritchey WCS Bars
2. Ritchey 4-Axis Stem
3. Thomson Masterpiece Post
4. Pauls Neo-Retro Brakes (preferably custom annodized to match)
5. Jagwire Cables (custom housing colors)
6. Alpha-Q or Easton Carbon CCX fork (with carbon steerer)
7. Zipp 404s (tubulars for cross, clinchers for convenience/tris)
8. Dugast Tubulars for racing CCX, Michelin Pro Race 3 for Road/Tri
9. Hope Skewers (annodized to match)
10. Hope Seat Clamp (annodized to match)
11. Light saddle of choice (I'm fond of the WTB Silverado)
12. King Headset (for the Ti option)

Good luck buying your Cervelo.

Cheers,
Puskas

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt TK1. Parts would have to change depending on what it was being used for.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike to do it all what would you buy? [Mighty Mouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen this bike but not in great detail. If Dave would be willing to share a bit more then maybe I will look at this bike frame as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll also throw in my rec for a cyclocross bike for your only 1 bike (for whatever crazy reason) "dot it all" question to the forum. Maybe a nice Ridley?. Them crazy Belgians love cyclocross :). You can do just about anything on one.

Oh, and I pretty much have the exact bike you are thinking of building too ;-) (in addition to a tri bike, MTN bike, etc.)

Re: If you could only have one bike to do it all what would you buy? [android] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I have 8 bikes and for the most part they are all going and I am just going to go with 1 bikes. 1 MTB that I already have and one road bike.

For the road bike, I want a reallly nice road bike that can be raced in a triathlon or two. It has to be a road bike as I will never do a cross race and for the most part I have almost all the parts I need for the build.
Quote Reply

Prev Next