Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If you could only have one bike.....
Quote | Reply
What would you choose?
Not a dream bike either. Doing my first triathlon next year, using the wattbike for now to build fitness but will be looking at a half decent bike that I can train on and race on until budget allows for a triathlon bike.
Thinking a lightweight aero bike better suited to climbing as it's hilly where I live and the event is hilly too.
Looking at specilized tarmac, giant tcr or propel, canyon aeroad, trek madone or cervelo s3.
Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [Jonnywev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Giant TCR (or canyon, but there are some things I don’t like about canyon, especially weirdly sized stems) is the best value.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the tcr is probably one of my favourites. Ticks a lot of boxes and higher models come with a Power meter too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonnywev wrote:
What would you choose?
Not a dream bike either. Doing my first triathlon next year, using the wattbike for now to build fitness but will be looking at a half decent bike that I can train on and race on until budget allows for a triathlon bike.
Thinking a lightweight aero bike better suited to climbing as it's hilly where I live and the event is hilly too.
Looking at specilized tarmac, giant tcr or propel, canyon aeroad, trek madone or cervelo s3.
Any thoughts?

Do you fit the geometry of any of those bikes?

What kind of distance are you looking to ride / train / race?
(if you want to race an olympic and you do a century every weekend... i will advice to pick a bike for those century)

How competitive do you want to be?
(if you only objective is to qualify for Kona... you should pick a bike that is optimized for that... and not for fun gravel with friends)

Personal if i was limited to 2 bikes... TT + gravel (with multiple set of wheels)... i can't imagine life with a single bike ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo Caledonia so I could run wider tyres if required and cover a greater range of terrain including gravel.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/caledonia-5

https://www.cervelo.com/en/caledonia
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Cervelo Caledonia so I could run wider tyres if required and cover a greater range of terrain including gravel.

I think all brands are moving in that direction (check out the new Orba or the Tarmac).
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd buy a tri bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HT 29er is probably the most versatile bike, I'd go with that if I could only have one. A gravel bike would be a good option too but would really limit my trail riding to easier trails. I don't like riding pavement and won't ride inside so my opinion is probably in the minority here.

OP, since you have intentions on purchasing a TT bike in the future I would not go with an aero road bike. Get something more comfortable, clip-on aero bars for your tri will be fine for now if you are looking to buy some speed.
Last edited by: hobbyjogger: Jul 30, 20 4:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero road bike with clip ons if you plan to do sprints or oly distance tris. Such as a Venge or Madone. If you are planning on longer distances I would buy a tri specific bike.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I could only have one bike, I would get the best road bike I could afford. Start there. There is so much road riding to do and a road bike can be used for Triathlons (get some jammers if you wish https://www.amazon.com/...robars/dp/B07CJS5BWS). I would rather a bike that is the best at what is is designed for than a bike that can do a lot of things decently. When you can afford it, get a TT bike. If you want to do more mountain biking, get a mountain bike. And when ready to play, get a good gravel bike. Soon you will have a justification and reason to have a stable of bikes and you will be happy with your bikes. Of course you may be divorced or loathed by your significant other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Trek has a madone that is built for aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is illogical, in a "N + 1" kinda way

Even if you only have one bike, you're gonna want another one, no matter what

That being said, mine wouldn't be a road bike, or something for triathlon, that's for sure. I'd go with something completely useless

As I posted in the "Dream Bike" thread, I'd love to have a hi-wheeler, just to fuck with people

Or a certified/low serial number 1968 Schwinn Orange or Apple Krate or Lemon Peeler [it's funny that they never made a black one, only adding green, white & silver to the original lineup of red, orange & yellow]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r-b wrote:
Aero road bike with clip ons if you plan to do sprints or oly distance tris. Such as a Venge or Madone. If you are planning on longer distances I would buy a tri specific bike.

yep, i'd go this way too.

i've been riding a cervelo soloist for road and tri for many years now - it's versatile and tough and fine for anything up to and including a half ironman, for me. if i were taking a crack at IM, ok, i'd get a full-aero sled. similarly, if i were racing crits or long road races i'd maybe get a more 'proper' road bike, but i've found aero road to be the oatmeal that's just right for me.

(important note, the soloist has a reversible seatpost, so i can get a somewhat steeper seat angle. that's a less common feature on many aero road bikes these days...)

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d just keep my Synapse. It’s 7 or 8 years old but I can do all the work on it myself. I did a full and a half on it before I bought my tt bike.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [Keithh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m answering “If I could only keep one bike”

My road bike. Cannondale CAAD 12. With upgraded wheel set. Light and fast. Have done Sprints and Olympics. Short and long road rides. Climbs great. Run 28’s, and can handle the tight packed gravel in my area to turn road rides into a bigger adventure.

If you only want 1, then IMO this is what you should seek. Many nicer but similar spec’d options for road bikes nowadays.

Lots of personal preference out there regarding brand names. Agree with knowing you fit requirements, and looking to see what best for you. Hard to test ride a bunch. I love Geometrygeeks to compare sizing (stack/reach, etc) of various models. Can do side by side comparisons.
Last edited by: WannaB: Jul 30, 20 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd get my Parlee Rz7 all over again, light, aero, can fit 32s and dead sexy.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has a 2019 S3 Disc as her road bike. Doing Nice last year she wanted to ride it as she climbs and descends better on it. We were also doing a cycling vacation after and she wanted her road bike for that. Put Enve clip on aero bars and swapped the seat post (zero offset) to mimic her tri position. It wasn’t perfect but pretty close.

It was a good option and only required a seat post, saddle and clip on aero bars, so minimal investment. Having seat post and saddle set makes swapping simple.
Last edited by: TOTRI: Jul 30, 20 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have and love the Felt AR. Disc version out now which is supposed to be even better...

https://feltbicycles.com/...ar-aero-road-bicycle

Quote | Reply
The Defy Advanced Pro 0. The Defy is such a comfortable ride and the Advanced Pro 0 comes with SRAM AXS Red groupset. Yeah, that would be nice. If I only had the $8K to drop for that beauty...

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...es-defy-advanced-pro

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
Jonnywev wrote:
What would you choose?
Any thoughts?

Do you fit the geometry of any of those bikes?

What kind of distance are you looking to ride / train / race?
(if you want to race an olympic and you do a century every weekend... i will advice to pick a bike for those century)

How competitive do you want to be?
(if you only objective is to qualify for Kona... you should pick a bike that is optimized for that... and not for fun gravel with friends)

Personal if i was limited to 2 bikes... TT + gravel (with multiple set of wheels)... i can't imagine life with a single bike ;)

Race is a ironman so riding and training will to suit that. Mostly longer hilly endurance based rides as I'll be usining the wattbike for quality shorter sessions.

It will be my first ironman but will have done some practice shorter races in the build up. Although I'd like to finish to the best of my ability the main goal is to complete the ironman with it been my first although thus might change with training. Going forward I'll end up setting bigger goals and hope to be competitive in my age group.

I have a hard tail mountain bike used for rides with the family. As for the fit of these bikes id have to seek expert advice on weather or not they are a right fit for me.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

Nice I'll take a look but don't think they are available in the UK yet.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
HT 29er is probably the most versatile bike, I'd go with that if I could only have one. A gravel bike would be a good option too but would really limit my trail riding to easier trails. I don't like riding pavement and won't ride inside so my opinion is probably in the minority here.

OP, since you have intentions on purchasing a TT bike in the future I would not go with an aero road bike. Get something more comfortable, clip-on aero bars for your tri will be fine for now if you are looking to buy some speed.

Have a mountain bike which enjoy now and again for family rides.
Thats what I was thinking, something comfortable that will suit everyday use and training but still allow a decent finish with the added extras.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonnywev wrote:

Race is a ironman so riding and training will to suit that. Mostly longer hilly endurance based rides as I'll be usining the wattbike for quality shorter sessions.

It will be my first ironman but will have done some practice shorter races in the build up. Although I'd like to finish to the best of my ability the main goal is to complete the ironman with it been my first although thus might change with training. Going forward I'll end up setting bigger goals and hope to be competitive in my age group.

I have a hard tail mountain bike used for rides with the family. As for the fit of these bikes id have to seek expert advice on weather or not they are a right fit for me.

Unless you want to do groups ride, sound like you need a TT bike... something like the Cervelo P-serie
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I think the Giant TCR (or canyon, but there are some things I don’t like about canyon, especially weirdly sized stems) is the best value.

I like the fact that the key thing that you don't like about Canyon, is also the case for Giant!!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next