Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If you're going to write about The Sufferfest...
Quote | Reply
... please do us the honor of not linking to some other site's story. unless it's better than ours ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So... I suspect this is the big story you had touched on a few months ago? This is huge. I suspect there will be a race to Zwift & TrainerRoad next. I would not be surprised at all to see TR or TrianingPeaks get acquired in 2020.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainer Road is next......

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
So... I suspect this is the big story you had touched on a few months ago? This is huge. I suspect there will be a race to Zwift & TrainerRoad next. I would not be surprised at all to see TR or TrianingPeaks get acquired in 2020.

no. i didn't know about this until about a week and a half ago. but i do think this is pretty interesting and, yes, is this a roll up of platforms like this? is Zwift going to come out with its own hardware? is elite going to buy TR? or am i missing the big picture?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hasn't the industry been going the other direction for a while? Wasn't Virtual Training (Now Rouvy) once part of Cyclops that Cyclops unloaded because it wasn't seen as a compliment to their other products?

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Hasn't the industry been going the other direction for a while? Wasn't Virtual Training (Now Rouvy) once part of Cyclops that Cyclops unloaded because it wasn't seen as a compliment to their other products?

i don't think so. one brand made that decision. let's talk in 6 months. tell me if you still feel this way.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin will buy TR surely?

They bought tacx, and you can now do TR rides outside on Garmin devices......whole ecosystem sorted.......
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
esuuv wrote:
Garmin will buy TR surely?

They bought tacx, and you can now do TR rides outside on Garmin devices......whole ecosystem sorted.......

i don't know why garmin would be TR. maybe they will. but tacx had probably the best software platform of all the hardware makers, don't you think? except for perhaps BKOOL? apples and oranges but, i think those were probably the two best.

the best thing about TR is that you get a lot of customers. but you also have a more confusing narrative or if not then i'm just not smart enough to see it. now that you've bought a tacx trainer you're ready for... TR? what about tacx? or is it more something to do with garmin's head units? or power meter? i don't see it. can you tell me what you have in mind?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think TR will get acquired. Just from podcast, I get the impression Nate is too proud and would rather stick to his own vision. I could be way off base though as competition heats up, differentiations become razor thin, and bigger companies such as Peloton steal users as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I did the free trial of everything that was out there before subscribing to Zwift. Sufferfest? Not a fan. Rouvy was kind of cool...but I hated using my tablet (no MacBook Pro compatibility at the time).

I'm not a fan specifically because of how it interacted with the kickr. I'm definitely dumb so I just leave it erg mode and there were a bunch of rides that were on there that I stupidly did that wanted me to change the settings and I had no idea how to change it.

So, wait and see I guess.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jul 8, 19 15:02
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [TRobTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRobTri wrote:
I don’t think TR will get acquired. Just from podcast, I get the impression Nate is too proud and would rather stick to his own vision. I could be way off base though as competition heats up, differentiations become razor thin, and bigger companies such as Peloton steal users as well.
Money talks.

I posted on FB - I think GP Lama’s post that I thought TR would be acquired and was surprised Sufferfest was the first.

Personally I’m a Sufferfest user as I think their system is the best for structured workouts - and for me the most engaging. I’m looking forward to what’s next for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRobTri wrote:

nate has a great thing going. i haven't spoken to him. i don't know what he's doing. but i really like him a lot, i like the whole crew, and i think it's just as likely he acquires a piece of hardware than that he sells to a hardware company. the one and only thing he doesn't have is a multiplayer platform. it would be easier for him to have his own direct drive smart trainer than for him to build a multiplayer platform. easier and cheaper, i think. and probably more profitable.

i have my own idea where the hardware market is going next. if nate - or wahoo - does what i think is coming next (or should come next) they'll have the tiger by the tail.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRobTri wrote:
I don’t think TR will get acquired. Just from podcast, I get the impression Nate is too proud and would rather stick to his own vision.

That is not the case. :-D

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
TRobTri wrote:
I don’t think TR will get acquired. Just from podcast, I get the impression Nate is too proud and would rather stick to his own vision.

That was a compliment :). You’ve guided the product through some growth and market changes when it’s have been easy to follow others vs your vision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRobTri wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
TRobTri wrote:

That was a compliment :). You’ve guided the product through some growth and market changes when it’s have been easy to follow others vs your vision.

knowing what i know, and if i had another life, and if i liked having investors, i would try to roll up 2 companies, TR one of them, and then i'd build a particular piece of hardware, and these 3 "properties" would be the basis of what i hope would be a new major player in the space.

but i've already spent this life, i don't have another one (or if i do my lives will run successively and not concurrently), and i don't like investors. (well, i don't dislike investors; i just don't like it when they've invested in my company.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why in the world wouldn't you link to your own story, ya know, for the lazy around here?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Why in the world wouldn't you link to your own story, ya know, for the lazy around here?

i'm thought you should work for it! force you to make that 1 extra click! but here it is.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I absolutely love the TR podcast. That's where I really get value from TR. But the TR UI is as bad as Golden Cheetah, and the overall TR user experience just doesn't do it for me. If Zwift bought TR and made the workouts and plans available in Zwift, I would be a happy camper. When I was a TR subscriber last winter, I did one or two TR workouts on Zwift after I found a bunch of the the TR workouts in .zwo format. That was a nice experience, but it is against the TR rules, so... not a viable option. I also tried running both TR and Zwift at the same time, but I like the Zwift Companion app for guiding my workouts, not TR / Golden Cheetah.

I think Zwift + TR would be a terrific product fit, but from what I can tell about the management of each company, a bad cultural fit. And at the end of the day, cultural mismatches make for terrible mergers.

I hope TR finds a path that lets them focus on what they are good at (sharing their enthusiasm and love for cycling, their workouts, and the training plans), but gets them out of what they aren't so good at (software and UX).

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The killer--and rarely discussed--feature that Zwift has is automatic uploading of workouts from TrainingPeaks to Zwift. My coach loads a structured workout into TP, and it shows up in Zwift when I log on. It just works, and it simplifies life for everybody.

I *wish* TrainerRoad had similar functionality, but one piece of what TR seems to be up to is to become a competitor to TP. I think that's going to be tough given how widely used TP is.

If Wahoo/Sufferfest offered this feature and offered some sort of cool integration between my Kickr and Sufferfest, that would make me think about swtiching away from Zwift.

Zwift's virtual world doesn't do much for me, but the simplicity of getting my workouts from TP does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We reckon that the next big thing in hardware is Flogging Stations.

David McQuillen
Founder & CEO of The Sufferfest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
... please do us the honor of not linking to some other site's story. unless it's better than ours ;-)

Can we put the link to our own story about Wahoo + The Sufferfest, Dan? Gives a bit more insight than the press release :)
https://thesufferfest.com/...match-made-in-agonia

David McQuillen
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [The Sufferfest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sufferfest wrote:
We reckon that the next big thing in hardware is Flogging Stations.

dang. i tried to keep secret my killer idea. great minds think alike i guess.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
proftri wrote:
The killer--and rarely discussed--feature that Zwift has is automatic uploading of workouts from TrainingPeaks to Zwift....
If Wahoo/Sufferfest offered this feature and offered some sort of cool integration between my Kickr and Sufferfest, that would make me think about swtiching away from Zwift.

Although it's not quite like it works with Zwift, all of our workouts are available as a TrainingPeaks library. So you, or your coach, can find the ones you want and drop them into your TrainingPeaks training plans. Then - if your SUF app is linked to TP - you can see your workout of the day and play it in the app.

THE SUFFERFEST LIBRARY IN TRAINING PEAKS (and, soon, Final Surge)
Detailed descriptions of all our cycling, yoga, strength and mental toughness workouts - including duration, TSS, IF, main workout focus and more - are now available in a free Sufferfest library. You can use that library to drag and drop our workouts into training plans for your athletes. Here’s how it works:

• Go here to get access to the Sufferfest library on TrainingPeaks: https://tinyurl.com/yd673x8m
  • You’ll then find that workout library in TrainingPeaks > Calendar > Workout Library
  • Click on any workout to see a description and more.
  • Just drag any of the workouts to any of your own training plans - whether specific to individual athletes or generic plans you’re selling in the market.
  • When athletes see the workouts in their plan, they simply need to go to The Sufferfest App and complete the sessions. When they do, the data will be uploaded to TrainingPeaks so you can review.

David McQuillen
Quote Reply
Re: If you're going to write about The Sufferfest... [The Sufferfest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sufferfest wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Can we put the link to our own story about Wahoo + The Sufferfest, Dan? Gives a bit more insight than the press release :)
https://thesufferfest.com/...match-made-in-agonia

that's fine. yours is better than mine anyway. i don't know about you, but i felt very good, but somewhat disoriented, after i sold QR. enjoy it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Sufferfest wrote:
Although it's not quite like it works with Zwift, all of our workouts are available as a TrainingPeaks library. So you, or your coach, can find the ones you want and drop them into your TrainingPeaks training plans. Then - if your SUF app is linked to TP - you can see your workout of the day and play it in the app.
Wait. You trying to put my coach out of business? :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next